Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV4 #3 arrives!

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Hoovie 
#1 ·
Well, despite running a RAV4 forum for UK drivers, I didn't have a RAV4 myself :surprise (last one, a 2011 model, got stolen)
So finally, after nearly 18 months, fixed that with this sweet 3 Door 4.2 Auto in Island Green >:D

Local car, always serviced on time by the supplying dealer, and just a regular 4k miles a year. Excellent condition inside and out, with just the usual sponge-swirls in the paint from car-washing, which I fixed easily with a gentle machine polish

See less See more
#2 ·
That's brilliant, Hoovie! Congratulations! I'm so jealous.

#4 ·
Thanks. She hasn't actually left the driveway since purchase as decided to do a few things to her first, but itching to hit the road on the 1st June :laugh

Well done hoovie real nice purchase.:cheers:
Yeah that first polish is definatly a bonding thing I did mine as well :wink
I just hope the hell that your insurance covered your loss :egad:
Oh and thanks for the heads up link on uk rav4 forum giving me some new pages to read and search :thumbs_up:
Cheers,

We have the UK RAV4 Drivers Club, but remember RAV4World is still a fantastic place to come as well for all RAV4 drivers. I still come here as a great bunch of guys on here :smile

Ref the insurance ... RAV #2 was the most expensive car I've ever bought (top-spec 4.3 with extras), so I took out GAP Insurance (GAPS in the US), so after 18 months of ownership, I still got back what I paid minus around $1,800 for uncovered bits and pieces. After that I am a GAP convert and would never buy a new car without taking that out now, as it costs less then $1 a week with ALA

#3 ·
Well done hoovie real nice purchase.:cheers:
Yeah that first polish is definatly a bonding thing I did mine as well :wink
I just hope the hell that your insurance covered your loss :egad:
Oh and thanks for the heads up link on uk rav4 forum giving me some new pages to read and search :thumbs_up:

#5 ·
Nice grab. The car looks mint!

#7 ·
Some better pictures in the sun following a wash and a small performance update (who can spot what that is? :wink)

2004 RAV4.2 2.0 VVT-i in Island Green

External Mods include Sports Exhaust w/Twin TTE Pipes, Reversing Camera, Genuine Mudflaps, TPMS System and Denso Wipers.

Internal Mods include ODBD-Connected Car Computer, Touch-Screen 'Infotainment'' system w/SatNav and Cruise Control.

#8 ·
Is that an original radio unit?

#9 ·
I don't know what the performance upgrade could be. I did notice a repeater on the passenger side that was missing in the first photo.

#12 ·
The clue is in the tailpipes - fitted a TTE (Team Toyota Europe) Rear Exhaust Box and Twin Pipes 0:) Bit more free-flowing ... sounds good and releases a couple of extra ponies >:D

I had the side indicators off while I was machine polishing the car :smile
Radio is not an original factory fit, but it does look right with that matching form-factor, and it even boots up right ...

#13 ·
Where did you get it from if you dont mind telling me?

#14 ·
Very nice head unit! Looks like it does everything but make the coffee! BTW, what is the status of DAB radio over there? Is it popular? Was it ever popular?

#15 ·
They were planning on turning off FM totally, but that plan got dropped thankfully as DAB coverage is nowhere good enough (I have DAB in my main car but have to switch to FM a lot of the time)
DAB gives lots more stations, but is only a replacement in the cities really :nerd

Where did you get it from if you dont mind telling me?
used unit from eBay.co.uk - it looks like a white-box type unit that small companies just rebrand. Here is an identical unit on ebay.com - For Toyota Highlander Sequoia Tundra Double 2Din Car Radio DVD GPS Navi DVR In | eBay

I am not a massive fan of some of these no-brand chinese units, but I thought I'd try one and sell on if I didn't like. There are some features on this I think can be improved, but for the money, it's ok.

#16 ·
Well, the title of this thread is "RAV4 #3 arrives" .... Should now be "RAV4 #3 departs" !!

So bought the RAV4, did a full machine polish, fitted the sports muffler, upgraded head unit, changed spark plugs, new MAF, bigger battery, etc, as it was going to be a keeper with its great service history and low mileage.

Found out the OH didn't really like driving it as it is an Auto. I have another car and a VW Bus already, so don't really need a THIRD vehicle for myself so not really needed.
Then it goes in for a service and needs a new sump pan as that was porous due to rust (so $400 to fix); The fuel filler pipe behind the arch trim I had already treated with Krust as not looking that healthy.
Then the air con stopped working - found the mag clutch had sacrified itself and likely the compressor had failed as well - so that needed replacing. Decided to get a new water pump fitted at the same time as after 11 years, likely seen better days so all that work was around $900 at an independant garage (Toyota wanted around $2,000 to do the work).
Then go out for a drive to get a takeaway meal (bear in mind this car is not getting much use so at this stage done maybe 800 miles since buying?) and on way home big banging noises from underneath - pull over and have a look ... Heat shield above exhaust rusted off mounts and now loose and banging up and down.
Next day I jack up the car and have a closer look and as I move bits and pieces and tap parts, get showered with rust particles all over the place! The underneath really needs a full, serious, derust and reseal.
The hanger failing really was the last straw! Car has cost me nearly $2 a mile in repair costs and I was not enjoying driving it, just waiting for the next thing to fail each time I got in :(
So made up a replacement heat shield hangers from an opened up baked bean tin can (be damned if I pay Toyota $50 for some wafer-thin repair part) and rivet into place and put it up for sale!

The only positive I guess is that I had bought the RAV4 for a very good price, so after the near $2,000 I spent on servicing, parts and repairs, I only lost about $700 selling it to a dealer as I just wanted shot (he is now selling it at well over $3k more then he paid me!)

Definitely fell out of love with this RAV!

#17 ·
Ouch, that sounds painful, Hoovie! That kind of rust is unheard of down here.

#19 ·
The first pic has the original plate on there before I put a private plate on.
Not a different side repeater, but a missing one! (I took them off before doing a full machine polish :wink )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.