Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Transmission fluid change

24K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Captsolo 
#1 ·
I have a 04 rav4 sport it has 146k on it.From my research on here. I am not sure if I should change my very dark transmission fluid. I am also unsure if I should buy a filter kit as well or just drop the pan and clean it. I also am unsure if I should get Toyota brand or Valvoline high mileage trans fluid.

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Toyota calls for the Aisin Warner spec (JWS-3309) Toyota Genuine ATF Type T-IV. Dexron/Mercon isn't a good substitute, although since Valvoline doesn't make a 3309 ATF, they'll encourage you to use it with fuzzy phrases like "suitable for...", while also giving a disclaimer - "The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife ATF in these applications."

Google for JWS3309 to find lots of discussion. Mobil ATF 3309 is one aftermarket one which does meet the spec. There are a bunch of other car manufacturers who also use transmissions needing 3309 - Audi, GM, Ford, Mazda, Mini, Porsche, VW, and others where you could go shopping for the manufacturer labeled 3309 spec ATF. And they also seem to be quite specific that only a 3309 fluid is to be used.

You can bet that if Mobil could have met the 3309 specs with one of their other ATFs, they wouldn't have bothered with creating one specifically for JWS-3309 applications.

But, feel free to use what you want. Purely anecdotal, but the 3 auto trans Toyotas which I've had have all gone problem free for over 250000 miles using fluid meeting the factory spec.

#13 ·
Toyota calls for the Aisin Warner spec (JWS-3309) Toyota Genuine ATF Type T-IV. Dexron/Mercon isn't a good ksubstitute, although since Valvoline doesn't make a 3309 ATF, they'll encourage you to use it with fuzzy phrases like "suitable for...", while also giving a disclaimer - "The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife ATF in these applications."

Google for JWS3309 to find lots of discussion. Mobil ATF 3309 is one aftermarket one which does meet the spec. There are a bunch of other car manufacturers who also use transmissions needing 3309 - Audi, GM, Ford, Mazda, Mini, Porsche, VW, and others where you could go shopping for the manufacturer labeled 3309 spec ATF. And they also seem to be quite specific that only a 3309 fluid is to be used.

You can bet that if Mobil could have met the 3309 specs with one of their other ATFs, they wouldn't have bothered with creating one specifically for JWS-3309 applications.

But, feel free to use what you want. Purely anecdotal, but the 3 auto trans Toyotas which I've had have all gone problem free for over 250000 miles using fluid meeting the factory spec.
Mike Great post. I agree stick with Type T-IV. How often do you change that fluid? What I mean is a drain and fill of say 5 quarts.

#8 · (Edited)
Just cut / paste this into a Google search bar: toyota type iv maxlife site:www.bobistheoilguy.*com <--- take out the "*" when you paste.

it's been about 6000 miles and no issues, total of about 160k miles on the transmission. Never dropped the pan or changed the filter. From what I've gathered, there is typically no need to replace the filter as it's more of a "screen" and is usually clean.

#9 ·
mile.s ^^ Good info. BTW...+1.

I'm using Mobil ATF 3309, next time / have over 1/2 a case left over, when owned a Volvo V70.

We just purchased a 2008 RAV4 Limited, v6/5 speed auto, a few months ago.
Its low mileage, so probably won't change the transmission oil & filter, for a few years.

^^ But I wanted to share a possible procurement tip, if it helps others here:
- our last family vehicle was a used 2002 Volvo V70, and 2 years ago, I wanted to source the trans oil / wagon had 250,000 Km on the clock, time to treat it to clean fluids (sealed tranny btw)
- found it at the local Volvo dealer, for $11/Liter CDN...ouch Ontario, Canada businesses!!
Google search reveled Volvo repackages their automatic transmission oil and they use Mobil ATF 3309, in their own brand of bottles.

So I ordered a 12 quart case (Part No. 112610) of Mobil ATF 3309, from a National Oil Distributer, in the States:
- VESCO OIL, 1900 East Warren Ave. Detroit MI 48207 (phone 313-833-0600)
US Case Price = $61.42/case = $70.55 (with MSDS sheet) + $4.23 shipping (UPS Ground) = $74.78 in total // equals $6.23/quart USD
(delivered to a $5 parcel warehouse, in Port Huron, MI / for Canadian customer pickup)
- meets OEM requirements for many Toyota and Lexus vehicles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.