Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rusted Rims

19K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  FixIt 
#1 ·
The rims on my 2002 Rav4 are rusting out rather badly. I did clean them up, adding a rust binding agent (two coats) and painted them with two coats of a high quality silver primer/paint but within 6 months the rust started coming through again.

I am of the opinion nothing I do short of sandblasting them, repriming and repainting will solve the rust issue. Should I just but a new set of rims or does anyone have any suggestions for curing the rust issue. I am fairly certain the second option (rust removal and repaint) will be more expensive than buying new (or a good set of used) rims.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
We bought a mint 2008 Limited v6, last summer / everything was rust free, except the steel winter spare rims.

It would probably cost $150 to get them sandblasted and another $50 in spray can paint - not very cost effective / they do rust fast, possibly through a combination of cheap steel &/or primers.
- good for the scrap bin

3 Season Setup - rim 17x7.5"
So I purchased 2013 takeoff alloy rims off a 2013 4Runner, for $800 Cdn / for all-season summer tires.

Test Fit

Winter Setup - rims 17x7"
- the original 6 spoke RAV4 alloy rims, were reserved for my winter tires
- so I still keep the rust free look

#3 ·
Hi Forteatwo. I am not sure if you are referring to steel wheels or alloy wheels but if you are having rust on factory steel wheels here is my experience.
I repainted my winter steel rims with Dupli color wheel paint but after one winter the rust came back big time. The next winter I used Rustoleum hammered paint (don't use the spray can not as strong). I read that the one in the can you use a brush was tougher than the spray can. (sanded & prepped) I also got wheel skin covers. After one winter I have minor rust on the inside welds but none anywhere so just very minor touch up. This has to be the best paint for salty areas so it works very well. The wheel skin covers prevent salt from touching the front of the wheel spokes but the back is still exposed. You need to clean the wheel skin cover with wheel cleaner (Simoniz wheel cleaner) as the salt stain is very hard to remove with just soap.

There are wheel skins on Ebay and other sites. They are made of plastic and only available in chrome color. Wheel skin covers are not universal fit so they only fit on factory steel wheels for your specific model only. (some may fit other models ie Highlander, Suzuki etc).

Attachments

#5 ·
Many folks confuse iron oxide rust with ferrous chloride salt water corrosion because they look similar. The only sure way to get rid of salt corrosion before repainting or powder coating is by electrolysis which on rims is an easy diy.

#6 ·
Electrolysis works great for severe rust or chloride salt impregnation issues. I tried repainting 70's vintage Yanmar marine engine without blasting or electrolysing the casing ( I used a wire wheel and scotchbrite to clean it up ) some time ago, within weeks the salts were blowing through the epoxy enamel I used. complete waste of time.

easiest method I have found for prepping really rusty wheels is to find a foundry that has a shot-blasting machine, and pay them a small fee to throw them in and shot-blast them clean with steel or stainless steel shot.

Reactions: vanib
#11 ·
The paint is bubbling on the alloy wheels on my wife's 2010 RAV4. I showed the dealer several years ago and they blew me off. I see this happening a lot on older Asian vehicles. My 2009 Avalon wheels do not have even a hint of this condition, so perhaps it is the the wheel manufacturer and what they use to make the wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.