Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rav4 Rolls Over at Cruising Speed

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  D.Spec 
#1 ·
What if you're just cruising along back roads and suddenly this happens to you?

He's just travelling at a cruising speed, maybe even slower but then, as the title says it, sh*t happens.

I know this kind of road condition is much more dangerous than a soaking wet and rainy surface. Based on his video, he did not used the brakes hardly, just that the weight really did transferred fast.

His 4.2 is a D4D Turbo, it's in 4WD and the road still got him pretty messed up. I have driven a lot of our previous 4.2, N/A, and it does under steer a lot, but I have never, ever, felt it doing over steers. My 4.1 does under, over and any sort of steers but the 4.2, it shouldn't do that at that speed.

#2 ·
Pretty simple ... seems the driver was going too fast for the road and perhaps vehicle condition (i.e. tires).

#9 ·
From what I can see (and I'm only watching this on my phone) it looks like he braked coming into the corner, which would add weight to the front tyres and cause them to grip harder than he expected, and lighten up the rears letting the tail walk. Looks like the brakes were applied again as he felt the rear come around and then threw in way too much opposite lock.
Essentially what he's done is a pretty well executed Scandinavian flick...
....although I don't think that was his intention :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.