Is the power of the RAV4 adequate for family trips? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My 2WD RAV4 manual has been to places 90%of AWD RAV4's have never been, it has also been to Florida, California, and all points in between for vacations. I take a fishing trip to NW Ontario every year and after the pavement ends it's 70 miles of bush road. Power has never been a problem.
Maybe RAV's with auto are a dawg, but it sounds to me like there is something wrong with yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorman View Post
I just picked up a 03 RAV4 with the 2.0L motor, automatic, fwd. It seem severely underpowered. I am a 4cylinder guy, but I am wondering if this is how it is with this motor or if something is wrong with mine. I feel like the max speed is probably 85 MPH. I was really pushing it on the test drive, and I got to 80 MPH slowly, but it was a struggle getting it much further, and this was with two adults weighting 160lbs. I worry that when I load up the RAV4 with my family for trips, it might not have enough guts to maintain sufficient speed for highway travel. I got the RAV4 so that I can have some more space for my family on trips.

This is a replacement for my wife's 99 Accord, 4 cylinder automatic. Currently, the traveling car is my 2003 Accord 4 cylinder 5 speed, and it is quite peppy with the 160 hp engine.

Is this normal power for the 2.0L motor? I am thinking to hunt down a 2004+ to get the 2.4L engine. How do you guys hold up?

I have not started driving the RAV4 daily yet, because it has some maintenance items that I am taking care of before putting it on the road, but those should not impact the power.

I have an 02 with the 2.0L engine, and I kinda wondered the same thing myself. I'm a college student who travels 300 miles one way to school, all highway. My personal opinion is it does alright for 0-60, takes about 10.5 seconds. But once I get above 60, 65, if I need to gun it fast from 70 to 85 to get around someone, it does it pretty quick for a small engine. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that, but that impressed me. It isn't jaw dropping, but something I noticed for a small engine.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:11 AM

The boat ways just shy of 1000kgs and the trailer 300kg. It will tow much quicker than is legally allowed

fgsdgfsf by kempy535, on Flickr

If you are saying your Rav cant hold highway speed with 3 people then its broken.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:39 PM

^^^ a picture is worth a thousand words

nice boat
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:07 PM

There's something wrong with that car. We've owned 3 Ravs, a 98 manual 4WD, an O8 auto AWD and a "12 auto AWD, all 4 cyl gas cars. Normal 0 - 60 in all three was around 9 to 10 seconds, and while I've never tested the top ends, it's nothing to blast them up over 80 mph when passing a long truck. We've loaded them all up on luggage and ran mountain roads... no problem and we got around 28 to 30 mpg doing it. I thought the autos would be slower, but the 98 just felt faster because I was busy shifting, there really isn't much difference. Where I did like the full time 4 wd of the standard is in mud and snow. I hate computer controlled AWD. The 12 has the shutoff button for VSC which was shut off the day we brought it home. The 08 is on unless you do the chicken dance with it at start up and I really hate that, but overall, the RAV's have served us well.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRAV4 View Post
^^^ a picture is worth a thousand words

nice boat

Cheers. I am counting the days until it goes back in the water.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:16 AM

I know this is an old thread but wanted to add my 2 cents.

I have also an 03, with the 2.0, and AWD. (not the sport, just an L).

I consider it to have more than adequate power, almost bordering on quick-ish. Never had any problem even when it has been totally full with either people, or stuff. One time I took out the seats and hauled a set of 4 wheels and tires, size 33" (just barely fit inside). Probably a good 350 lbs, with no problem at all on the highway (plus driver and passenger).

My son, who has a 2008 Malibu, even comments it is zippier than his car, when he drives it.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

No problems with mine accelerating. It actually likes when you push it to redline. That is where it's potential really gets appreciated. I admit it's not the greatest for merging onto a highway, but the 2.0L is more than enough given it's had regular maintenance performed (oil changes, spark plugs, air filter, etc)

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 138k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page