Is the power of the RAV4 adequate for family trips? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is the power of the RAV4 adequate for family trips?

I just picked up a 03 RAV4 with the 2.0L motor, automatic, fwd. It seem severely underpowered. I am a 4cylinder guy, but I am wondering if this is how it is with this motor or if something is wrong with mine. I feel like the max speed is probably 85 MPH. I was really pushing it on the test drive, and I got to 80 MPH slowly, but it was a struggle getting it much further, and this was with two adults weighting 160lbs. I worry that when I load up the RAV4 with my family for trips, it might not have enough guts to maintain sufficient speed for highway travel. I got the RAV4 so that I can have some more space for my family on trips.

This is a replacement for my wife's 99 Accord, 4 cylinder automatic. Currently, the traveling car is my 2003 Accord 4 cylinder 5 speed, and it is quite peppy with the 160 hp engine.

Is this normal power for the 2.0L motor? I am thinking to hunt down a 2004+ to get the 2.4L engine. How do you guys hold up?

I have not started driving the RAV4 daily yet, because it has some maintenance items that I am taking care of before putting it on the road, but those should not impact the power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I can't answer your question but steer well clear of the 2.4l . They are known oil burners. Toyota is rebuilding them at no charge after an oil consumption test. That's assuming it meets their criteria.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 AM

Garage
Don't know how many miles the 2.0L motor has that you test drove, but it could be in need of a good tune-up. Can't say much for the 2.4L since I never driven one. Our 2.5L is doing great so far.

----
Joe

2014 Limited 2.5L I4 AWD in Classic Silver Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

To ballpark performance I'd do a 0-60mph test on a level road, both ways and average the times. I'd call 9-10 seconds good, 11-12 seconds weak and 12+ dead.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I guess I could test the compression. I just wanted to see real world usage, to see how it stacks up.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Do not buy it. Something is very wrong.

2011 Limited, V6, factory tow package, Blizzard Pearl
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I found this 2.0L RAV4 acceleration video, and this is pretty much exactly how mine accelerates. It takes a long time to go from 70 - 80 MPH and pretty much tops off around 85 MPH. That sucks, because it sound like it might struggle when its loaded. My 4 cylinder Accord is much much peppier.

03 RAV4 fwd | 03 Accord EX-L Navi 5spd 95k miles| 94 5spd Accord -300k RIP
-
| 99 Accord Auto -160k |
01 Porsche Boxster | 00 BMW 528i | 03 Suzuki GSX-R1000 | 04 Honda Aquatrax Jet Ski

|
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 02:55 PM

Garage
Wow that is pretty sucky. Not sure if it is because of the autobox. My 2004/05 is a German spec'd Rav 4wd which also has the 2.0L motor although it was updated from the 00-03's but not by much. It is a 5sp and I have had it around 190kmh or 118mph. I am taking it to Austria for the 4th time next month and it has no problems at all going up the alp roads loaded down. Sounds like the RAV you have either needs a serious tune up or there is something else holding it back. Since yours is a 2wd it should run a bit quicker and faster as it does not have all wheels running with power all the time.

Good Luck

2004 (05) RAV4 4wd, 5sp "SOL" Edition

2008 BMW 118d 6sp (wife's)
1997 RAV4 4wd, 5sp 04/2016 RIP
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetius757 View Post
Wow that is pretty sucky. Not sure if it is because of the autobox.

Sounds like the RAV you have either needs a serious tune up or there is something else holding it back. Since yours is a 2wd it should run a bit quicker and faster as it does not have all wheels running with power all the time.
It might be the autobox. I hate Auto transmission anything. I am a die hard stick shift fan.

It is quite peppy around town, and feels quite nimble.... that is, until you need to go from 70 to 80 MPH. I just registered it over the weekend, and my wife is driving it for the first time today. I will see how it holds up. The main thing that I need to know is that it is operating as designed. This engine came from a Corolla, so I can imagine how under performing it must be. That is why it gets such good fuel economy. My wife is a speeder, so I will see what she says after a few weeks with it.

03 RAV4 fwd | 03 Accord EX-L Navi 5spd 95k miles| 94 5spd Accord -300k RIP
-
| 99 Accord Auto -160k |
01 Porsche Boxster | 00 BMW 528i | 03 Suzuki GSX-R1000 | 04 Honda Aquatrax Jet Ski

|
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

In all honesty it's up to the individual. I don't consider ANY four cylinder engine adequate unless it is turbocharged. Even then it depends on the maker and condition of the engine along with the transmission. In my mind I cannot fathom a used 2.0l normally aspirated engine capable of any performance other than decent MPG's.

I had an '04 2.4l Accord that I put tons of money into and it was a five speed stick. It ran like many V-6 engines do after my mods but it was still just adequate in my opinion even after a stainless exhaust header and many other modifications. To me an older 2.0l would be a snail but that's just me, it may suit you. I could not deal with it, even new unless it had a turbo.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page