Rear Visibility - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:13 AM
jerij

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Rear Visibility

Anyone have any thoughts on the visibility out the rear of the RAV?

I've been driving for 30+ years and have NEVER backed into anything until yesterday. Backed into a light pole with the RAV. Broke the spare tire cover and damaged the sheetmetal on the rear door.

Still looks fine from a distance but will have to be fixed. Cracked paint leads to rust, etc.

I've always been kinda "edgy" about backing up with the RAV (my first SUV like vehicle) but then again maybe the law of averages were bound to catch up with me eventually.

Coulda been worse. I could have broken the back window(didn't), or could have backed into another vehicle (didn't). It's just SO irritating because the pole was obviously there when I pulled up to the parking spot and backing into something stationairy like that is SO stupid.

jerij

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I find the visibility in the RAV to be great all around.

Though the RAV is my wife's and I drive a Celica which has quite poor rear visibility in comparison.

#3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:20 AM

I don't think the Rav has anymore visibilty problems than any normal sedan since it's got lotsa windows. The only problem I see would be because of its height vs a normal car. You might miss the little kiddies who might be running around the parking lot while you're backing out so I'm extra careful around crowded shopping malls when I see couples who might have a toddler running ahead of them. To solve this, some people use the panoramic type of rear view mirrors to give them a better rear view while others have installed cameras in the back linkled to their dvd deck so they can see what's behind them as they back up. Obviously small poles are something that the Rav's vulnerable to as I've seen quite a few Ravs with huge dents with the small speed barrier pole impressions in their rear corner bumper.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 08:20 AM

rear visibility comment

I tend to agree with the other comments about visibility. One other visibility question that has bothered me. I wonder if this is anyone else's experience, it seems that the back up lights are kind of wimpy and I have trouble seeing when backing into my driveway at night. I am not sure if this is from the privacy glass, my bulbs are just weak or if this is a fault.

BTW, this is a new 05 model.

Comments?
#5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

My guess is the privacy glass. The reverse lights do a pretty good job on our '05. We don't have the privacy glass but we do have a mild 50% tint job.

#6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
raj

Some of us have mounted reversing ultrasonic sensors (diy job) and that certainly is a boon when reversing. Not that it improves back vision but warns of obstacles at the back of the car. I saw on my recent trip to Goa, India that the SUVs there had a kind of mirror attached to the rear window pane so that while reversing the driver had a pretty good view of what lay behind him. That would be a even better and a cheap solution.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:30 AM

Sorry to dig up an old topic but what about this "rear under mirror" that goes on the back door. I would want one but I don't think it'd fit cars with the rear spoiler.

#8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

I would bet the law of averages caught up with you......
I've also been driving for 30+ yrs, and was able to judge backing quite well with my '98 RAV, but with the '05 I now have, I generally end up twice as far from something than I thought. I don't know if I'm being over cautious or the bottom of the rear window is higher, which is messing up my judgement.......
I've often thought about adding a small removable horizontal nerf bar to the trailer hitch to protect the spare and rear window from myself and others......it would also serve as a step for accessing the roof rack...... Gotta add that to my "to do" list.....lol

-Jim

Red Gloves Rule _ 99
#9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Modderrhu

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
When backing up, I always end up a fair distance from my intended position. Luckily, I have the 2-door, so my nose is almost always in place. The cut-off tail of my RAV is truly deceptive. And yet, last weekend, I managed to reverse into a pole that was about knee-height, and quite hidden by the bodywork. No damage done, but it taught me to look for short obstacles before reversing because those obstacles are invisible from the driver's seat. The spare wheel is tricky too, because there's no way to guage where it is, and it's the rearmost point on a RAV.

As for the law of averages - 4 speeding tickets in the last 6 months, after 13 years of not a single one. Law of averages, my arse.

#10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 06:10 PM

rear view

I know what you mean Been driving 30+ myself I have a Water pipe behind my Rav I painted a white line on the garage floor..Just to judge how far away I am...My landlord will kill me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page