centre diff lock - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:19 AM
sheepish

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
centre diff lock

Where has it gone?

Went to look at a 2003 model last night and no centre diff lock like my 1997 model.

The salesaman said they still have them on autos but not on manuals, which I don't believe.

Is there some new gadgetry on the 4.2 that dispenses with the need for a cente diff lock. It's got me unstuck a few times and I'm loathed to buy something without one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Modderrhu

Nope, sorry, sheepish. I've not heard of a difflock on automatic 4.2's either. What you get is a differential with a viscous coupling instead. So you're less likely to get stuck than with an open differential, but at the same time, it's not as good for getting unstuck.

There are, of course, aftermarket difflocks available, and rather than getting a locking centre diff, a locking or limited slip diff on the rear would make a lot more sense.

If only there was low-range... *longing sigh*

#3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modderrhu
Nope, sorry, sheepish. I've not heard of a difflock on automatic 4.2's either. What you get is a differential with a viscous coupling instead. So you're less likely to get stuck than with an open differential, but at the same time, it's not as good for getting unstuck.

There are, of course, aftermarket difflocks available, and rather than getting a locking centre diff, a locking or limited slip diff on the rear would make a lot more sense.

If only there was low-range... *longing sigh*
Hey Modderrhu have u seen any diif lockers for 4.2 or something in this category?? I've been looking for some time for something like that. And whats a differential with a viscous coupling? Do u have any link with more info?? Sorry for lots of questions.

'04
Rav4
4WD
See? I'm almost evil.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Modderrhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien18
Hey Modderrhu have u seen any diif lockers for 4.2 or something in this category?? I've been looking for some time for something like that. And whats a differential with a viscous coupling? Do u have any link with more info?? Sorry for lots of questions.
No, I haven't personally looked for one, so I don't know what products there are. I think I've seen some other threads on locking differentials here though. I possibly will look for one, with time, it's OME suspension that's first on the list.

Viscous coupling in a central diff involves two parallel 'fans', each connected to a drive shaft. When the powered shaft turns, it pumps oil, or some other viscous liquid, over the other fan, causing it to turn too. This allows some difference in the speed of rotation while still transferring power. If there is a large difference in speed, the liquid will heat up, with typical oil becoming less viscous and reducing the coupling. On the better systems, the liquid becomes more viscous as it becomes hotter, making the joint more rigid.

>>Here<< is an excellent page on with good info 4WD transmission systems and differential locks. A highly recommended read! The rest of the site is excellent too, but some of the pages and articles are a little dated. Ahhhhhh, nostalgia.

#5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
hey thnx 4 reply. awesome website

'04
Rav4
4WD
See? I'm almost evil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page