Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV4 J vs RAV4 L

74K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sich1 
#1 ·
What are the differences between RAV4 J and RAV4 L :?: and between 2WD and 4WD :?:

I will buy RAV4 with the D4 transmission? It is has same performance compare to VVTI engine?

Thank you.

#2 ·
aziym said:
What are the differences between 2WD and 4WD
2wd - ONLY the 2 front wheels are driven in the RAV4 model

4wd - ALL 4 wheels are driven - the 4wd system in the RAV4 is a constant ALL WHEEL DRIVE system (This is the case with the 4.1 generation - not sure on 4.2) in that the transmission is constantly transmitting drive to all wheels - good in slippery conditions...

There have been posts in the past about this topic and in the FAQ section too.... Do a search if this hasnt cleared it up for you.

#4 ·
I am not sure about question:

I will buy RAV4 with the D4 transmission? It is has same performance compare to VVTI engine?
You are not making a fair comparison. RAV4s are available with and without automatic transmission which I assume is wht you mean by D4. Typically automatics may be a little slower and less economical in magazine tests but in reality I doubt it would be noticed. Driving style will have a bigger influence, so get the transmission choice you prefer.

Various engines and identifiers were used in different markets, the RAV4L is a US version with more goodies than a basic version. RAV4J refers to the Japanese version (I think). On the 4.2 in the U.S. the early ones had a 2.0 litre engine and later ones a 2.4 litre engine. In the U.K. you could get basic models with a 1.8VVTI engine, but they were not popular, most people preferring the 2.0 or D4-D (diesel).

Now a comparison between 2.0 litre and D4-D engines would be more interesting.

Going back to 2WD vs 4WD, I think most markets other than North America and Canada only got 4WD versions. Both 4.1 and 4.2 have constant 4 wheel drive, the main difference being they had different centre differentials. This same Toyota drivetrain has been used in the new Daihatsu Terios, whereas the 4.3 RAV4 got a new drivetrain.

Can you explain your question a bit better please?

#5 ·
To clear things up, the RAV4J & RAV4L are basically the same cars! But both cars are sold through different dealer networks in Japan (Other examples include the Alphard G/ Alphard V, the previous Estima T/ Estima L & the KlugerV/ KlugerL.).

Here are the models available (As far as I can remember.) for the 2nd generation Japanese-spec RAV4J/ RAV4L 3-door & 5-door.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Pre facelift (2000 - 2003)

2.0 D-4 VVT-i (1AZ-FSE)

2.0 AERO SPORT 4WD A/T
2.0 AERO SPORT 4WD M/T
2.0 WIDE SPORT 4WD A/T
2.0 WIDE SPORT 4WD M/T
2.0 X "G Edition" 4WD A/T
2.0 X "G Edition" 4WD M/T

1.8 VVT-i (1ZZ-FE)

1.8 AERO SPORT 2WD A/T
1.8 AERO SPORT 2WD M/T
1.8 X "G Edition" 2WD A/T
1.8 X "G Edition" 2WD M/T
1.8 X 2WD A/T
1.8 X 2WD M/T

Special Editions:

X "Rugged Special" (2001 - unknown)
X "Limited"(2002 -2003)

Facelift (2003 - 2005)

2.0 D-4 VVT-i (1AZ-FSE)

2.0 WIDE SPORT 4WD A/T
2.0 WIDE SPORT 4WD M/T
2.0 X "G Edition" 4WD A/T
2.0 X "G Edition" 4WD M/T
2.0 X 4WD A/T
2.0 X 4WD M/T

1.8 VVT-i (1ZZ-FE)

1.8 X "G Edition" 2WD A/T
1.8 X "G Edition" 2WD M/T
1.8 X 2WD A/T
1.8 X 2WD M/T

Special Edition:
X "Limited"(2004 -2005)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

For those who are wondering what D-4 is;

No, it isn't a very fancy A/T. Instead, it's Toyota's Direct Injection-4 Stroke technology, available on the 2nd gen RAV4J/ RAV4L in the form of the 2.0 1AZ-FSE. The advantage the 1AZ-FSE has over the garden-variety export-spec 1AZ-FE is better fuel efficiency & slightly more horsepower.

The larger 2.4 2AZ-FE engine was never used on the Japanese & Euro-spec facelift models.

aziym, you'll also want to be careful when looking for a genuine Japanese-spec RAV4J/ RAV4L, some of the units are the Aussie or Euro-spec models that are converted to resemble Japanese-spec cars on the outside.

btw, it's nice to see another potential RAV4 owner from Malaysia on the forums!

regards,

TF

#6 ·
Dear all

Thank you for the information on J or L version of RAV4.2. I have check the engine registration which is 1AZ - is it D4 engine or VVTI engine or D4 with VVTI engine? I am confusing when the dealer said that people looking for D4 rather than VVTI. I am not sure what it means. What I know is all toyota now using fuel injection engine which is VVTI like my Toyota VIOS.

I will post back to this forum after getting my RAV4 next 2 weeks.

Thank you again for yr help and information.

#7 ·
aziym said:
Dear all

Thank you for the information on J or L version of RAV4.2. I have check the engine registration which is 1AZ - is it D4 engine or VVTI engine or D4 with VVTI engine? I am confusing when the dealer said that people looking for D4 rather than VVTI. I am not sure what it means. What I know is all toyota now using fuel injection engine which is VVTI like my Toyota VIOS.

I will post back to this forum after getting my RAV4 next 2 weeks.

Thank you again for yr help and information.
Yeah, some dealers don't know enough about the cars they sell. Like when my parents wanted to buy an Estima for example, the sales person claimed that the car does have D-4 when it clearly doesn't (2AZ-FSE wasn't available yet at the time. Was only used on the current Avensis Sedan/ Wagon Qi & Li in Japan.).

As long as it is 1AZ-FSE, it comes with both D-4 & VVT-i. (The normal FE only has VVT-i.).

#8 ·
Just post some info on VVT-I D4 from toyota website-aziym

VVT-I D4

"Direct Injection" engine technology

Perfect distribution of fuel around each cylinder. You will probably remember playing with the hosepipe in the garden: Squashing the pipe flat causes the water to fan out at high pressure. Toyota's new VVT-i D motor uses the same idea to atomise and distribute fuel around each cylinder.

Advantages: Increased fuel spray atomisation for more uniform combustion Compression ratio is increased to 11.0 (compared to 9.8 for the VVT-i engine). Petrol no longer sticks to the injection port during cold fuel injection, which results in less hydrocarbons, meaning a cleaner and more efficient engine. The VVT-i D4 engine is 8% more efficient than Toyota's award-winning, and very economical VVT-i engine. But most importantly, D4 makes a difference you can really see and feel!

#9 ·
Oh ya, one more thing I forgot to add.

From information gathered from a Wish Club Malaysia member, it is advisable to use premium fuel (At least RON97) in with the JDM-spec D-4 engine, it is to prevent the 1AZ-FSE from knocking if RON92 is used for too long. Might want to check on this just in case.

Source (2nd post from top of 2nd page by whamboomer.)-> http://wishclubmalaysia.com/index.p...days=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ron92&start=15

regards,

TF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.