Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Lift/Jack Points [4.3 same as 4.2?]

37K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  sysmg 
#1 ·
Okay, I've been searching around for definitive lift/jack points, and I couldn't find a truly satisfying answer. In my quest, I've seen the picture and the suggestion that they are the same as that which is described in the owner's manual. However, the owner's manual is geared towards the usage of the OEM scissor jack and changing of a flat tire rather than regular maintenance.

I have been searching for an OEM repair/service manual online, but haven't found one. I've used Toyota's TIS in the past, but haven't been in the mood to collect the files to put a comprehensive manual together. I was able to find a 4.3 manual, and it shows the following:

So are the 4.3 & 4.2 chassis basically the same? Would those front and rear lift points work for a 4.2?

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are adequate jack points. However, I tend to use ramps unless I'm doing anything that requires me to remove a wheel.

#3 ·
Referring to my sketch showing the Chasis bolts.

The TIS for the 4.2 shows:

FRONT (left side photo)

Middle of the H suspension arm support,
Roughly Center of all 4 bolts.

REAR

2WD where the 2 suspension arms meet rear suspension member.
4WD Center Bottom of Rear Differential

Hope this helps,
Walt :D
/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=4743

#4 ·
MS Paint? Pretty good! :thumbs_up:

#7 ·
I am reviving this old thread as I like to know if jacking the center rear of the vehicle on a 4WD RAV4 where to place a floor jack (hydraulic jack). I am interested in a center lifting point so that two jack stand can be placed at the same time.

In post #5 I see Waltrav is using the rear differential to jack up the rear center of the vehicle but in post #6 TOC (Toyota Owner Club) mentions to use the rear differential carrier (not the differential itself). Also isn't the differential carrier is in fact the differential case? Maybe TOC is referring to the center frame that is under the differential.

#11 ·
The rear differential is used by a few members but I don't think I feel it is really a strong enough lift point in my opinion. There is a thread some where that shows the rear differential jacked up with a scissor jack. I can't remember maybe it was a drive shaft repair?

In the mean time I jacked the rear using my hitch with some 2x4 wood. The hitch is very strong and does not bend so there is no problem. My 3 ton hydraulic jack is big and powerful but I need to add the wood between the hitch to lift the vehicle. The hitch is very high off the ground unlike the rear differential which is lower to the ground. I needed to also use a pair of u bolts on my round tube hitch in order to make the surface even when lifting.

#13 ·
The photo on the initial post does not have the correct jack points. I have uploaded a capture from a 2002 RAV4 manual. It shows the front suspension crossmember as the front jack point. The differential is the correct jack point for 4wd models, the central bracket that the rear control arms connect to is the correct jack point for 2wd models.

-Stew

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.