Dinghy towing? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Dinghy towing?

Bought a 2001 RAV4 4WD Automatic a couple of days ago. The manuel says it can be dinghy towed with all four wheels on the ground. Having searched all of this sites 4.2 forums for dinghy towing, the searches came up blank. Has anyone dinghy towed an `01 RAV4 4WD automatic with all four wheels on the ground? If so, other than the 55 MPH and 200 mile limitations, have there been any problems? If there has been problems, were the 55 MPH and 200 mile limitations followed? Two Toyota service departments and 4 Toyota customer representatives stated that it could not be flat towed. The 4 Toyota people changed their position when it was pointed out that the manuel, and the frequently asked questions section of Toyotas website said that it could be flat towed. The service department pulled up a section of the Toyota website having a revised manuel with a parentheses quote added (Two wheel drive, manual transmissions only). The car is out of the warrantee period. So I would like to consider alternatives, if it is necessary, and if there are any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 AM

Generally an automatic should not be towed with it's driven wheels on the ground, due to lack of proper lubrication of the gearbox. Additionally a 4WD-car shouldn't be towed with two of its wheels on the ground as it might ruin the 4WD-system.
For the same reason the dyno test done to the brakes here in Sweden during yearly vehicle inspections isn't done on 4WD cars, which in my case, missed that the rear inner brake pads was down to bare metal.

Subaru Legacy 2.5i -2011 (Daily driver)
Toyota Avensis 2.0 -2004 (My moms)
Toyota Carina 1600 (TA12) -1972 (Swedens oldest)
#3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah1 View Post
Generally an automatic should not be towed with it's driven wheels on the ground, due to lack of proper lubrication of the gearbox. Additionally a 4WD-car shouldn't be towed with two of its wheels on the ground as it might ruin the 4WD-system.
For the same reason the dyno test done to the brakes here in Sweden during yearly vehicle inspections isn't done on 4WD cars, which in my case, missed that the rear inner brake pads was down to bare metal.
I'm puzzled. Are you saying to ignore Toyota, and believe the service department? That makes sense, since Toyota has a vested interest in standing behind their documentation, and they will have no obligations if flat dinghying causes damages, while the service department has a vested interest in their integrity and reputation in this community. But I've read a number of comments on this site backing Toyota's information over service departments. Your comments also indicates REMCO's site which shows that an LP7 lube pump would make my vehicle flat towable is wrong. Perhaps, since their warrantee is only good for vehicles having less than 40,000 miles on the transmission when the LP is installed, their lack of any responcibility is leading to loose statements as well. Or, could your statement be too general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page