Rav4 vs. Ford Escape? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rav4 vs. Ford Escape?

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice on choosing a good next vehicle, and I'm hoping some of you will be able to elaborate on the subject of Rav4 vs. Escape (and similar vehicles).

Background info: I'm a mountaineer who is currently driving a '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse around on paved roads in the mountains, as well as easy dirt roads that don't get very rough at all. Love the car to death, but it's become SO obsolete with my lifestyle now, and I need something better.

How well does the Rav4 fare off-road and with everyday driving compared to, say, the Ford Escape (my next top choice)? I've seen many of both vehicles parked at the end/top of rough dirt roads complete with ruts, rocks, you name it, so I'm confident that they can get me to a good amount of places I'd like to go.

Basically, what does a Rav4 4x4 have that the Escape and similar vehicles don't, that would fare better in both the mountains and everyday city/suburban driving?

Is there anything much better about a 2006+ Rav4 compared to earlier years discussed in this forum? I like the size of the 2nd generations, but the 3rd gens look slightly bigger and seem like they would have a little more room. Basically, if I chose Rav4, should I get 2005 or 2006?

I hope I've been clear enough... If you need more details let me know, and all help is SO SO appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 AM

I can't speak for the Escape, but the 4x4 system on the RAV is designed for on-road hazards such as ice, snow, mud, etc. It is not intended to seriously be used off road. The car does not have the ride height to support it and the under belly has many exposed pieces that are easily damaged. Will it work off road? Sure it will and many, including me, travel easy trails in search of adventure. But you have to be very mindful of ruts, rocks, etc.

2005 to 2006 is a model year change. 2006 brings the 269hp V6 option and it is a bit bigger then the 05. Some may argue, but the 05 probably has less OEM issues than the 06.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 AM

I can't speak for the Escape either, but I have been quite impressed with the AWD system of the Rav. I've done some isolated camping on some quite rough roads without a problem, no rock crawling or anything crazy like that though, I've pulled a 3500lb car in the dead of winter up a 20° incline (around 100m long) that was in about 6-8" of loose snow. The AWD system is quite capable, it doesn't have lockers so anything where you have a wheel hanging up in the air will put you in trouble. I know the limitations of the Rav and don't try to go beyond them unless I can get help. I don't know how this compares to the Escape however.

Personally I'd compare the reliability of the Escape vs the Rav too.

Mint Design
'04 ACA23
'82 KP61
#4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM

The third generation 4wd-system is different from the 2nd, you get lockable 4x4 and clever electronics and stuff, while the 2nd gen is more primitive. In either case the RAV is not a serious offroad vehicle. Looking in the Swedish Toyota range, the only serious contender is the Hilux, but now off course you don't live over here, and also I assume you're mostly interested in SUVs rather than pickup trucks.

Subaru Legacy 2.5i -2011 (Daily driver)
Toyota Avensis 2.0 -2004 (My moms)
Toyota Carina 1600 (TA12) -1972 (Swedens oldest)
#5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM

If 'real world' gas mileage is an issue, my RAV4 is way better than my next door neighbors Escape.

ASE Certified Master Auto Tech (retired)
#6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Garage
I just have to chime in, as the Escape was one of the vehicles I was considering last year for my first vehicle buy. And I'm TOTALLY pleased that I didn't go with it!

I will say right off, that I haven't driven an Escape, and the closest thing would be a 98 Expedition. Not a good comparison, but I will use it anyway. And I have no experience with a vehicle newer then 2000. However, I did learn a few things about the Escape that you might consider.

#1. I found it interesting, out of all the SUVs I considered, the Escape was the only one that clearly said it was intended for ON road driving only. Saying that most people stuck to the main roads anyway, which is why they didn't design it to do anything better.

#2. It had lower fuel efficiency by quite a bit. Here's a good site to compare MPG side by side, and sometimes you can see what other people with the same vehicle are getting: Side-by-Side Comparison

#3. Mechanical design. Let me explain: If you plan on working on your vehicle then consider where things are located and if there is room to get access. I'm still learning in this area, but so far everything I've done on my RAV has been easy to access and take apart. The Expedition, what a nightmare!! Even though the Expedition is huge, and has plenty of initial room for everything, it is crammed packed tight. With what?! It just seems to be the way they designed it. It has the same main components, but it's not placed or shaped for easy access and repair. The simple project of adding an amp and subs took me weeks to complete with lots of vocal help from others. The RAV, one afternoon. I've taken all of the interior out in the RAV to do a different project and it was so simple. I wouldn't consider doing that with the Expedition. No way!!

Ford is okay, but they just didn't design things right. Oh, one quick note on that: I looked under the hood of our neighbor's Tundra. It's a V8 just like the Expedition, and it's hood area is not as deep from front to back as the Expedition. Didn't matter, it had at least 6" all the way around the engine for access, firewall accessible, and none of the engine was tucked under anything. (My mom had to pay $1,800 for a repair that was towards the back of the engine. Had to take the whole thing out, thus $1,800!! ) All of the other components in the Tundra were accessible too. Anyway, my point includes repairs done by a shop as well. If it takes them more time, it will costs you more.

I've had my RAV for 10 months now. Driving up our 2.5 mile, steep, rough, logging road driveway. 60 mile round trip to town, already put 13,000 miles on it (and trying not to drive it much for cost). I was so excited when I started noticing a power steering leak a month ago! FINALLY something to fix!!! Nothing else has been a problem all this time. Such a disappointment for someone learning mechanics.

I encourage you to go with the RAV4, but if you're happy in the end, that's all that matters!! Let us know what you decide regardless.

Note: Subaru Forester is a better choice over the Escape in my opinion. Still glad I didn't get one of those however!! The RAV beats them all!!!!

~Cherish & RAVadoodle~

RAV4 Picture Game - PROVE you drive your RAV4!

RAVadoodle's Garage - here

Fuel log - here

Last edited by myrefugeisintheLord; 09-01-2011 at 12:47 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:24 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Again, I'm not expecting it to be a serious offroad vehicle, but it needs to be able to do more than my little Eclipse.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:44 AM

I am not sure I agree with the points made by cheetah1 regarding the drive train.
I know the manual trans 4.1 generation had a locking center differential, complete with push to lock button, and an optional torsen limited slip rear diff. torsen units are as good as it gets, used on military H1s and many Toyota land cruisers.

My understanding of the 4.2 is that the center diff is a 50/50 torque split viscous unit that will lock up some degree after some some wheel spin. The front and rear are typically open unless you have one the super rare fabled to exist torsen rear diffs. I have also seen lots of photos of wheel lift on here with 4.2s and they seem to deal with it ok. I think there may be some computerized traction control brake applied to the spinning wheel that happens, I think I have observed this on my 4.2 2004 Limited.

My understanding of the 4.3 is that it is normally front wheel drive and when the traction control senses wheel spin it will activate a clutch to move some torque to the rear, what percentage I don't know. In this scheme there is frequently no power at all to the rear axle so it drives like a front wheel drive. I fully admit I could be wrong about this.

One huge plus for the escape that only applies in the US- they are the bench mark of maintained 2 track forest service roads. The forest service has a huge fleet of them. Be assured that any open primary forest road will be passable in a ford escape.

Virtually all the vehicles in the class lack a low range and suffer from a lack of ground clearance off road. Ground clearance being the biggest limiting factor.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Also remember that we are quite biased, being on a Rav4 forum and all. I love my Rav and it does all I need with great gas mileage and the room I need.

Mint Design
'04 ACA23
'82 KP61
#10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Garage
I test drove the Escape, a 2010 V6, and I thought it was gutless. Merging onto the highway was a bit unnerving because it wouldn't move it, and the engine was really straining.

I also test drove a 2003, it drove better. Maybe because it was broken in?

I had always liked the Escape, always thought I would get one. Until I drove it...

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~ John Muir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page