better mileage? - Page 10 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#91 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrefugeisintheLord View Post
.......Alright, I'll let the cat out of the bag. You guys might have ideas. Or be able to run with this thought.
Recently (long story avoided), my intake temp sensor wire got cut, and I was driving a couple of days without it. I went from ~34 MPG average, to 24.5 average. The ECU was reading the intake temp sensor as -40F, and dumping fuel in to make the correct A/F ratio. Air is denser when cold.

The plan is to look into ways to trick the ECU to think the air is not as dense (warmer), and have the actual intake temp more normal (in my case, cooler). It was pretty apparent that that sensor is vital to the A/F ratio.
The O2 sensors in the exhaust are what normally control the AFR while the engine is running on them in closed loop. So intake air temp would have a slight if any effect on mileage. The only times it runs open loop are at near full throttle and cold startup. Yours was running startup rich with the IAT sensor disconnected. I'm sure you knew all that, but the point is there is no linear relationship between IAT and mileage.

The pinging indicates you are just over the edge of maximum economy. What's really nice on the 4.3s is the ion sensing anti-knock ignition systems that can keep the timing just on the other side of the edge.

BTW, what happened to the pretty face we admired as she admired her RAV? I thought it was all so perfect.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
mp sadly there isnt a built in mpg meter. theres only odo and trip meters. maybe in the higher models but i still dont think so.
Interesting how much models differ worldwide - not necessarily for the better. No doubt there are gadgets we miss out on here too

The trip gizmo is via the buttons around the radio (lower right in my case)

Paul

2003 RAV4.2 3-dr 4WD 2-Litre Auto NRG
#93 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironframe View Post
Surely if you're driving a 2004 RAV there's a trip computer built-in showing average mpg 'now', average mpg distance and average mph? (I'm basing this on a Europe spec..)

Plus seeing all that list of mods I'd think you could afford a Scangauge

Paul
Apparently us Americans don't really care about mileage as much as you Europeans since we didn't get MPG computers until 2010 or so - and we can't get a manual transmission after 2005.

I agree on the Scanguage affordability. Tunes must trump mileage. I have a Scanguage but no iPod/Pad/anything.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#94 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
Apparently us Americans don't really care about mileage as much as you Europeans since we didn't get MPG computers until 2010 or so - and we can't get a manual transmission after 2005.

I agree on the Scanguage affordability. Tunes must trump mileage. I have a Scanguage but no iPod/Pad/anything.
Wow - 2010? I think more is made of economy than used to be, so an mpg rating is more of interest at purchase then one feels the need to see if the claimed figures are correct and having an in-built facility to check (with variable accuracy) is a bit useful. I'm currently seeking a Fiat Fiorino van for my most-of-the-year driving and keep the RAV taxed only for October-March when it could be tricky underfoot. I'm looking for economy and the Fiat does 68+ mpg with an auto box - gets my vote. I wish I could get anything 'good' from the RAV. Has anyone a record of decent improvements from a re-map?

I have no iPod/mp3 stuff in the car, just the radio and CD and my Scangauge is here by by mouse hand as I can't find anywhere suitable to mount it just yet!

I still think manual trans should be the optional extra and that since you're not fitting a manual box the auto should be a no-cost option.

Paul

2003 RAV4.2 3-dr 4WD 2-Litre Auto NRG
#95 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to kingnba6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironframe View Post
Interesting how much models differ worldwide - not necessarily for the better. No doubt there are gadgets we miss out on here too

The trip gizmo is via the buttons around the radio (lower right in my case)

Paul
we dont have any fancy thing in stock ravs. in mine i did however get a steering wheel audio control which was pretty nice for a car in 2004.

Quote:

i bought a car, i am going to drive the car. whats the scangauge going to do for it? i bought the rav knowing it would get around 15-20 miles in the city. and thats what im getting. is the scanguage going to make me get 30mpg? i dont think so. at least the money spent on the tunes is used at least every time i drive the car. and when i go on a road trip, it pays it self off.

2004 Rav4 I4 FWD
Mileage-21056 as of 8/20/11
Clarion NX500 with -Rearview Camera
-Video bypass
-iPod connection
-HD Radio
Fog lights with Halo Ring.
Tints
Viper 5902 Alarm System with -Window Roll Down Module
-Automatic Start
-Viper HD Remote
-Clifford 7752x Remote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingnba6 For This Useful Post:
Colorado RAV4 Guy (12-11-2012)
#96 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
i bought a car, i am going to drive the car. whats the scangauge going to do for it? i bought the rav knowing it would get around 15-20 miles in the city. and thats what im getting. is the scanguage going to make me get 30mpg? i dont think so. at least the money spent on the tunes is used at least every time i drive the car. and when i go on a road trip, it pays it self off.
You do have a point. Enjoy!
#97 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM

I have a 2003 5door GX 2.0L VVTI Manual Petrol...which I have had since 2005. It had done 16k and now it's done 75k. Still drives really really well and I'm very happy with it.
I always get 300-315 miles on a full tank unless I tow my sportsboat when I get less mpg! Given that i mostly do short 30-40mph journeys to work and back and Daily trips into the forest to walk the dog I think that's good?
I also have (permanently fitted) Thule Aero roof bars and two Thule cycle carriers along with the front garnish and side steps and the tte spot lamps so not that aerodynamic.

I also took it through the "Tarr Steps" last year which was the most extreme I've taken it!!

No problems though luckily and the water was "horse belly" deep!
Other than that it handles at any opportunity snow and light off road field and track use!
#98 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
The O2 sensors in the exhaust are what normally control the AFR while the engine is running on them in closed loop. So intake air temp would have a slight if any effect on mileage. The only times it runs open loop are at near full throttle and cold startup. Yours was running startup rich with the IAT sensor disconnected. I'm sure you knew all that, but the point is there is no linear relationship between IAT and mileage.

The pinging indicates you are just over the edge of maximum economy. What's really nice on the 4.3s is the ion sensing anti-knock ignition systems that can keep the timing just on the other side of the edge.

BTW, what happened to the pretty face we admired as she admired her RAV? I thought it was all so perfect.
Dr. Dyno,

Air intake temp does make a difference on mileage because of the density of air. Less air = less fuel = less power = better economy. It's an instant reaction for RAVadoodle. Raise the IAT and the mileage gets better. I know too much of a good thing, is still too much. Moderation. I think 80F is the best temp to keep her from pinging. I haven't had much time to play around with the air intake stuff. I've got a new project....

And not all vehicles respond well to a WAI (Warm Air Intake). A friend of mine has a Toyota Matrix. He's tried a WAI with no difference to mileage. Now THAT doesn't make sense to me, but results are results.

Thanks for the picture complement. I can put it back on... I didn't like seeing my face all the time. I don't think the picture turned out very well. It's hard trying to be my own photographer without the use of a tripod! Plus seeing myself without bangs looks silly to me. I was trying something new, but I usually have bangs. Lol... I've lost 20 lbs since then too. Ya ya... I should just get an updated picture so everyone's happy.

<><><><><><><><><><>

kingnba6,

BTW, the Ultragauge costs HALF AS MUCH as the Scangauge II. I paid $86.86 (includes shipping). It didn't take long to pay for itself in fuel savings either, because of my new awareness. A few months is all! And the savings continues!! Think of all the goodies you could buy with the savings! And once you learn how to drive even more efficiently, you can choose when to drive that way, and when not to. I still have my days when I can't hypermile. I'm a natural lead foot, and sometimes the thrill of speed is more valuable then fuel.

~Cherish & RAVadoodle~

RAV4 Picture Game - PROVE you drive your RAV4!

RAVadoodle's Garage - here

Fuel log - here
#99 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to kingnba6
after all this debate, i bought a bluetooth obd scanner. i used it for about 30 miles so far. i use the torque app. its pretty neat and you get some nice features. im planning on going from NY to FL in the next couple of months, and on the trip i will def. use the scanner to record my gas consumption

2004 Rav4 I4 FWD
Mileage-21056 as of 8/20/11
Clarion NX500 with -Rearview Camera
-Video bypass
-iPod connection
-HD Radio
Fog lights with Halo Ring.
Tints
Viper 5902 Alarm System with -Window Roll Down Module
-Automatic Start
-Viper HD Remote
-Clifford 7752x Remote
#100 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Garage
You'll have to give us a review on that device sometime.

~Cherish & RAVadoodle~

RAV4 Picture Game - PROVE you drive your RAV4!

RAVadoodle's Garage - here

Fuel log - here

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page