better mileage? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
better mileage?

i have an 05 rav4 and i get 21-22 mpg driving mostly highway (80%). i cruise around 70-75 to keep up with the rest of traffic, and i realize going over 65 will significantly decrease my mileage, as the 05 is rated at 28 mpg for highway driving. im not complaining, im just asking if there is a way to better my mileage other than slowing down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM

I just returned from a ski trip to Big Sky MT starting in Wisconsin for a total 2900 miles. I have an Ultraguage II mounted on my dash. It gives instantaneous MPG along with cumulative MPG, ave MPG per tank etc. On the way out with a head wind and storm, cruising about 70 mpg I averaged 28.2 MPG (2003 5 Speed, FWD). On the return trip I averaged 31.6 with a tailwind almost all the way driving about 75MPH. The manual tranny gets 2 or 3 mpg better than the auto in real life driving, the FWD adds 2 or 3 more so one expects mpg to be higher than AWD and Auto. Having said that I can say the ultraguage is a big factor in improving MPG because you can see where the mpg losses are immediately. At one point during the trip the head wind was 40 mph. My gas mileage dropped to 22mpg at 70 mph, slowing to 55 improved it to 29, a big difference. If you are really nerdy and you want to optimize mpg, hypermiling down the long descents increases your mpg to 350 mpg at 75 mph (no kidding). This has a big effect on average mpg. My point of all this is there is real value in getting one of these guages if you want to see where the big losses and gains are in assessing MPG. I am sure there are other tools out there similar to the Ultraguage but these gadgets are kind of fun for an intuitive understanding of mpg. The big issue with the RAV4 is lack of aerodynamics. The short stubby profile creates a lot of drag behind the car which is why wind speed is such a big factor.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 AM

Have you compared the numbers from the ultra gauge to physical calculations of fuel used vs miles traveled? After having mileage computers in my car for the last 6 years, I returned to my true love and bought a 2003 RAV4 and I would love to add a mileage gauge (I do all the hypermiling suggestions you mentioned). But to get to the point, I noticed that the computer consistently told me that I was getting about 3mpg more than what real world calculations were giving me.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

I cruise on the highway 3-4 days out of the week. In nice weather and cruising above 75 I get around 280/tank

When I keep it around 60ish I get about 300-315/tank. Thats 4WD and automatic.

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
#5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 PM

I just pulled up my records from my first RAV4 - a FWD 2003 base model that I had for three years. Over the lifetime of the vehicle my combined average was 29MPG! My worst tank of gas was 24.5mpg, my best was 34.3. I had one tank of gas where I went 474 miles (33.26mpg - refilled with 14.25 gallons)

Last edited by Colorado RAV4 Guy; 03-14-2012 at 05:24 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 07:10 PM

i get 375 km's on a 56L tank; 4 wd automatic, in canada =18mpg
#7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Colorado Guy,

Yes indeed the Ultraguage must be calibrated each time you fill up. Mine was off by 3 or 4 miles per gallon (reading high) until I reset it based on miles driven and gas used. Even then there can be small errors based on odometer accuracy which is dependent on your tire size. The nice thing about the Ultraguage is you can compensate for those small errors with each fill-up and arrive at a fairly precise measure of MPG. But you do have to putz a little with the thing and it takes a while to figure how to to make those adjustments.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methix View Post
i have an 05 rav4 and i get 21-22 mpg driving mostly highway (80%). i cruise around 70-75 to keep up with the rest of traffic, and i realize going over 65 will significantly decrease my mileage, as the 05 is rated at 28 mpg for highway driving. im not complaining, im just asking if there is a way to better my mileage other than slowing down.
Making sure your car is in top mechanical condition and tires are at the proper pressures (and not worn out) is the best way to get the best mileage. Driving gingerly will net you good mileage in town. At 75 on the highway, you don't have many options other than hiding behind large vehicles.

2007 Red Limited V6 4WD
w/ Tow package
#9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi shankar View Post
i get 375 km's on a 56L tank; 4 wd automatic, in canada =18mpg
That's what I used to get before I got my scangauge and improved my driving habits. Now I get closer to 475 and I really don't have to drive like a grandma to do it.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Forum n00b wants to know what hypermiling is? TIA!

Sent from my Evo3D using AutoGuide.

Driving Toyotas since 1978: 78 Celica GT -> 84 Tercel Base -> 93 Tercel DX -> 95 Tacoma Xtracab -> 03 Tundra TRD -> 11 RAV4 Ltd V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page