what is the most weight you've hauled? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
what is the most weight you've hauled?

careful, your wife/GF may read this!

it appears 985 pounds is the max load, that would mean I can carry 785

I have found another engine/tranny for another car, and the only means to haul it is the RAV (miss my beater PU )

I'm not sure of the weight bias, but I would think the rear isn't carrying much weight
and besides, 400 pounds is two adults more or less

how did it handle with so much weight (it's winter out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

I hauled about 500lbs of roof shingles and misc. supplies. Have also hauled several transmissions (one at a time, not sure their weight). Handled just fine, this was when I had my bad transmission too surprisingly. Stopping distance increases greatly I might add...

Did you ever consider getting a hitch + small utility trailer? Might be a good option for stuff like this and things down the road, ie: lawn tractor, car parts, etc. I'm still working on doing this myself. The Rav4.2 has a ton of room for the size of the vehicle, but I don't want to keep abusing the interior so I'm getting a small trailer.

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
#3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM

I put on a lot miles (20, 000) during a very long road trip with a heavy load. Lots of camping gear, skis a rigid cargo box and three bikes on the roof rack. Off road the weight on the roof was nasty with serious body sway and bottoming out. I logged a lot of dirt road miles. I think it contributed to the early demise of the rear sway links.

I have since put stiffer old man emu arb springs and more robust sway links in. I would not even give it a second though with 500lbs totally stock.

It is good to remember that the recommended maintenance is different for tow/haul and off road.

As for the interior I pick up large pieces of card board and change them out when they get shredded and the back isnt too messed up. I would hate to have a trailer mess up the ability to make impossibly sharp turns.

On the road in my Rav4 since February, Traveling, Volunteering, Camping and also enjoying beer bikes and bacon. Check out the blog www.servicedriven.org
#4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, in addition to the increased stopping distance I would expect the front end to be a little light on steering. 500 pounds, good to know, the best I have found is that the engine weighs ~375 and the tranny ~90, so I should be a little under that.

I too, place big sheets of cardboard on the floor whenever I haul stuff. Great minds think alike.

The seats are out more than they are in, in mine. Usually my bike is in back. When I first got mine back in 03 I traveled to CA from MN with the bike standing upright in back, stopped a number of places to go mountain biking, especially in Utah. I slept in it too, still do occasionally. Mine is getting a little old to be pulling a trailer and adding accessories. Or at least that is my thinking, at 160K miles, who knows how many miles are left.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
I've had around 1100 pounds of concrete sidewalk blocks and it was ok from one end of town to the other. I wouldn't have gone any further with that much weight though.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Hauled 5 people and 5 quads one time. Weight in car was around 800 lbs, weight of trailer was 3250 lbs.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
And how long did you have to carry this load? I hope the roads were flat.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" - Operation Mindcrime
#8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 02:21 PM

Only about 40 miles on flat, ice covered roads. Kept it under 55 mph. Car has 286,000 miles and still going strong!
#9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Hi Nizi im guessing you have to have trailer brakes or are allowing a long way to pull up i get alot of override even with my small trailer medium load no trailer brakes very impressive n well balanced trailer load
#10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Well Rapt, you are right in that I put a lot of effort into balancing the load. If I can pick up the tongue, I'm probably somewhere near the 150 lb tongue weight limit (it's actually much stronger, which I can contest to in other towing adventures).

That trailer, however, does not have any brakes. I drive very consciously of the load on the transmission and the brakes and exert no more force on them than under normal driving conditions. This just means that acceleration and braking are rather slow. Fortunately, there is very little traffic outside on a snowy night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page