2003 Rav 4.2 1.8 exhaust (muffler?)problems - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 General Discuss anything RAV4.2 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 Rav 4.2 1.8 exhaust (muffler?)problems

I have recently purchased a 2003 Rav 1.8, 3-door.
The car had an advisory from its last MOT, saying the flange between the centre exhaust and rear box was rusting.
I have looked at this and true enough the flanges are rusting and delaminating whilst the rest of rear box and centre exhaust are in excellent condition, just the flanges rusted. Now the bad bit, local exhaust centres tell me they cannot get replacement exhaust parts for this vehicle. They say they are only available from Toyota at close to £900. The rusting flanges is a well known fault in exhaust centres and my local centre has offered a solution. They are going to cut out the flanges altogether, weld a tube to the stub left on the rear box and then attach to centre exhaust using conventional exhaust clamps. This at a cost of circa £40.
Exhaust parts for Rav 2.0 models are readily available at reasonable prices from exhaust centres, I guess this is because sales of the 1.8 model were low, and subsequent low demand for parts means low volumes equals high prices. Or non availability.
Must admit I fail to see how Toyota justify their price for the 1.8 exhaust and unhappily when my current exhaust fails I will be forced to buy from Toyota.
I would recommend any one thinking of purchasing the 1.8 model to think again before buying.
Has anyone had this same problem and found a cheaper way around it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It may be similar to the 4.3 in that Toyota used a one piece stainless setup for the entire exhaust system. If it fails in any area while in warranty Toyota will replace it in its entirety. If no warranty then cut out the bad and weld in the good is the easy inexpensive way out just like your shop is suggesting. If it fails in the future is a new factory exhaust system required to pass MOT? Can't a muffler shop remove the old system and install their own, made in their shop, in its place?

Cheers

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package

Last edited by RTexasF; 01-16-2013 at 07:55 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
Got a quote of £440 from a stn stl exhaust fabricator for the centre and rear section only. Maybe go for that when the time comes but still gutted at the expense of a replacement exhaust. Have checked online with about twenty exhaust outlets and not one stocks an exhaust for this model Rav, and all say they cannot source them.
Would probably have stopped me buying the car had I known in advance.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

I took mine back to the dealer when this happened. Mine is a 2003 2.0L, but same problem as your described. They welded on a replacement flange at my request instead of replacing the complete exhaust. Cost me only $50 since I had just bought the car from them within the last year.

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
#5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

And to add, the center-pipe is DAMN expensive. Not to mention the cost of the muffler itself. Tell them you want a replacement flange only. If they're an exhaust shop this should be no problem for them.

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
#6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 AM

(Thread Starter)
Exhausts for the 2.0 model are readily available from exhaust centres, its the 1.8 that is a problem. Perhaps the 1.8 pipes are different as they do not have to get past the 4-wheel drive parts. The 1.8 (in the UK) is 2-wheel drive only, so maybe exhaust takes a different route?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page