Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Aftermarket Double Din Radio

26K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  kempy535 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I would like to change the actual stock radio of my RAV4 because I'm not sotisfied with it.
I would like to install a standard 2Din radio (not with big color display).

Something like the JVC KW-R710E:
KW-R710E | Doppio DIN | Sintolettori CD | Car Audio | Prodotti | JVC Italia

At first i looked at the radio adapter and i find something like this product on eBay:
Toyota Car Stereo Double 2 D DIN Radio Mount Install Dash Kit TA1465B | eBay

On that ebay pages there's written:
"Recently many radio manufacturers start producing a Double-Din Radio with 7 inch screens (some slightly smaller). These Double-Din Radios are about 7" wide x 4" tall and DO NOT work with Scosche Installation Kits. Unfortunately, these kits have been manufactured well before this new size became available. As far as we know, none of the aftermarket kit manufacturers radio openings will fit this new size. The standard opening for Scosche Kits is approximately 6 7/8" x 3 7/8" or 173mm x 98mm."

The problem is that the radio is: 188 x 117 x 13 mm

Double Din shouldn't be a standard? I also looked at size of other similar radios but it seem that all are bigger than 173 x 98 mm.

See less See more
#3 ·
I moved the thread to the correct forum. Now please do me a favor and update your user profile so we know where you are located and what year and model RAV4 you own.

#4 ·
This radio should fit in a 4.2 Generation RAV4. According to Crutchfield this will fit using model JVC KW-R710. (should be similar to the JVC KW-R710E)

You need that mounting kit also along with a wiring harness kit like this. (the wiring harness adapts the factory wires to the JVC wires without needing to cut the factory wires. You can solder or use butt connectors with a wire crimper. (That is the one I have. But this should work also.)

The radio would fit in the factory mounting cage and you bolt the JVC on to that. Then you put the double din mounting dash kit on each side of the mounting cage/radio.

Also just wondering you should consider the JVC KW-R710 from SonicElectronix ($99 comes with harness and DD adapter & free Shipping):smile

#5 ·
also if you have steering wheel controls, you need the steering wheel control converter.

#9 ·
i read that description, it looks like it will work.

#10 ·
I update my post because after some weeks that i bought the adapter but I haven't find a solution.
The adapter it's the correct model but unfortunatelly some the connector of my car seem different, in fact after sending photos to the producer they told me that it's not compatible an they have other adatper.

The stereo works but not the steering wheel control, so i tihink that the cable i haven't connected are for the steering wheel control.

Since there's no other adaptors, I would like to try to cut the connector and soldering the cables, the problem is that they didn't give me support for that.

I hope that here of this forum there's someone that can help me.

Here's the photos:

Thanks
Federico

#11 ·
I don't have a steering wheel control on my 05 but I did replace my stock radio recently with a Pioneer head unit. The first two harness (which you already connected) is your regular radio wiring and the third harness is used for the factory amp/ radio steering wheel wiring.

Here is a steering wheel radio harness kit that fits a 2005 RAV4. Don't forget you are not just hooking up the third stereo harness because the control module is what controls the the steering wheel controls. The rca wires outputs to the speakers and the 3mm plug is for the source (cd/usb). So this kit contains all four things (harness/sterring wheel control moduel/3mm plug/rca wires) that is required. Lastly always check if the wiring kit is made for your specific vehicle because each is different and not compatible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.