Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Bumper Light Bar

22K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  ewilda100 
#1 ·
Is there a front bumper light bar available for the Rav4? I want a place to mount additional lights and don't really like how most bull bars mount to the underside of the Rav. It seems most bull bars on the market for the Rav won't be strong enough to actually push anything, or take much of an impact, but is instead really an oversized light bar. Besides most bull bars seem to mount very low on the chassis and could in fact reduce ground clearance?

This is what I am thinking of:

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen some Aussies and NZers on here post some pics of that smaller type, mostly in the 4.1 forums. They've got some nice stuff like that down under, but don't know if it's available in NA.:shrug:
I also think bullbars are just glorified lite bars, that offer little or no real protection.....it would be different if they had upper chassis mounts as well, to make them more rigid.........

#3 ·
I also think bullbars are just glorified lite bars, that offer little or no real protection.....it would be different if they had upper chassis mounts as well, to make them more rigid.........
I agree. Almost seems that it could cause more damage if the bull bar was pinned between the bumper and whatever the vehicle came into contact with. I just dislike how low they are mounted (although I must say the ARB is my favorite bull bar for the Rav) and lack of strength they have.

I'll see what I can find for light bars down under. I am thinking of having a lightbar come out the upper vent section of the front bumper. I just want to see what is out there before I come up with something from scratch.

#8 ·
Conrad; I think you could easily attach an external light bar to the same bumper reinforcement I have used in a small project.

I first attached two Hella lights directly to the bumper hoping there was enough material for it to hang on to. They never fell off, but they were really moving around when I hit uneven road (and we have lots of that around here). The lights were mounted to a steel plate which goes between the bumper and the license plate. The bumper is only 3-4mm of plastic with nothing behind it, so naturally, it will flex with all the added weight.

I originally planned on getting a bull bar even though mounting a new one was outlawed in my country in 2007. I'll probably still get one if I can find a fair-priced used one. Until then, I've had to do some reinforcement of the bumper.

Behind the plastic bumper there is already a reinforcement made of steel, but it sits below the license plate and there's a gap between it and the plastic bumper. I welded a steel plate on top of the reinforcement so that it sticks up behind the license plate. Next, I attached a small wood plank to the new steel plate so that it touches the inside of the plastic bumper. After refitting the bumper, the steel plate holding the lights and the license plate can be reattached and screws will go through the bumper and into the wood. I'm very happy with the result. Here are some pics:

#9 ·
Wow very cool, thanks for posting up the photos! I plan on doing virtually the same thing, having the tube mounted to the bumper support as opposed to welding it. I just don't want to put any holes in the OEM bumper, everything will be removable if need be.

From what I see for brush bars for the Rav is that they only bolt up at the bottom...pushing on the top of the bar will put a ton of stress on those bolted connections. Good to see the steel bumper behind the bumper skin. :D

#16 ·
Hey all! I'm working with Dark Defense which builds some absolutely killer lights, ditch lights, light bars and all and they use real CREE led chips and they are stupiddd bright. I have tried the baja designs and would chose these over it any time.

If you guys wanna check out my insta I am on there as @wild_rav4. If you use my promo code "WILDRAV4" it'll get you 28% off anything on their website ( www.darkdefense.com )

Let me know if you guys have any more questions. Shoot me a DM on insta or here I will help you guys out. Right now on my build I have got the DDS4 pods used at ditch lights and working at building a prinsu style rack and getting their DDS4 array up on my roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.