Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New Immobilizer / Key Fob

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Arin 
#1 ·
I've read around a bit ... but I'm still not clear, so if someone has a thread to point me to OR an answer, thanks! First post here as I just purchased my 2005 'Chili' edition!

Car came from a (non Toyota) Dealership with an 'immobilizer' and a single valet key. No remote fob.

1. The immobilizer has a bunch of buttons on it, is held together by tape, and sings a little tune when I hit one of its six confusing roman numeral buttons. For the life of me I cant figure out what it does. I'm able to start the vehicle with the 'immobilizer' over 200 feet away...so..

The 'Chili' edition is listed as sold with an immobilizer and remote entry. But the immobilizer fob sold with my used purchase is clearly aftermarket.

Confused on where to get a new immobilizer THAT WORKS. Also confused with terminology - do people refer to these as transponders?

Maybe mine does work and I'm missing something. Though it is hideous and would like to replace.

2. And I would very much like a remote entry fob. My understanding is I can buy one from www.keylessride.com for a reasonable price and follow the programming instructions. Is it possible to include an immobilizer into the remote entry fob? The less thingies in my pockets the better.

3. Finally, I can just cut an additional key at any locksmith. Correct?

Thanks every/anybody!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.