Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Should I replace Sway Bars and Exhaust System?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  vanib 
#1 ·
I hear rattle sounds when going over bumps. Brought it to local shop and they said the following:
1: The sway bars deteriorating, so needs to be replaced, and could be the source of the sound. Cost: $180
2: The exhaust system is leaking at multiple points...the whole thing needs to be replaced. Cost: ballpark ~$2,000

I don't know much about cars. I had this RAV4 since 2002 and it has almost 150k on it. My question is:
1: I'm going on a 600 mile road trip in a few days. What are the risk of NOT replacing it, safety-wise?
2: If it is worth it to fix? Over the past two years, I already spent $4k on other repairs. Getting heat from wife to replace the car since she feels its not safe. Is it even worth it?
3: If it is worth it, are the prices reasonable? I am not a mechanic or am skilled in any way, so bringing it in is my only option.

Appreciate the help!

#2 ·
I would be a little suspicious of them saying the sway bar is deteriorating, seems more likely that it would just be the sway bar bushings or end links, but I suppose it's possible. Either way, I would get that taken care of before a long road trip.

A leaking exhaust system is not a safety issue unless there is exhaust getting into the cabin, so you could probably hold off on that and/or get a second opinion.

#4 ·
I agree with Kryten. The anti-sway bar is a big heavy hunk of iron. It's extremely unlikely it would ever wear out. Most likely it's bushings or links. But unless you throw the car into corners you don't even need an anti-sway bar. The only issue you'd have is the rattling over bumps you mentioned. Annoying but only that.

On the exhaust: Never trust that you'd smell exhaust if it got into the car. If you have to drive before fixing it do so with the windows up, the blower on and the system set on Fresh. That will produce a positive pressure inside the car so any leaks are out. But since it will have to be replaced if you keep the car why not have it done now? I highly doubt the $2K price is necessary and would get another estimate or two.

Personally before I put THAT MUCH $$$ into the car I'd sell it privately on Craigslist and get another RAV4. If your only option is to trade it in you'll lose the $2K anyway so it's a toss-up.

Reactions: vanib and rav42002
#5 ·
You probably need front sway bar links not the anti sway bar since it is a common worn out part. As for the exhaust I hope the mechanic show you where it is leaking. You can feel an exhaust leak by the pressure coming out. Get another shop for an estimate and let them show you where the leak are. Many people shop at different places to get free estimate and second opinions. Also you can buy parts online at low prices such as a catalytic converter or sway bar links at Rockauto and have a shop install them.

As for driving the way it is for the trip the repairs can wait.

#6 ·
Well you guys are right on, it was the links. Got those replaced, but didn't replace the exhaust system. I'll shop around for the cost, but given how wife's looking for any excuse to replace it and the fact that I've already put in 4k on it...maybe it's time.

Thank you all for your help!

#7 ·
Well you guys are right on, it was the links. Got those replaced, but didn't replace the exhaust system. I'll shop around for the cost, but given how wife's looking for any excuse to replace it and the fact that I've already put in 4k on it...maybe it's time.
Question. If you found a RAV4 just like yours that just had $4K worth of work done on it wouldn't YOU want to buy it.

I once "got" a friend of mine who had just spent a lot of $$$ on his car. He liked the car except for all the repairs it had needed, saying it was time to get rid of it. :mad:
He knows I keep an eye out for good cars so I told him I knew of one the same model as his and it might be for sale. Then I listed all the fairly expensive repairs the owner recently had done, new this, new that, etc. He got real excited and asked, "Wow, where is it? When can we go see it?" I said, "You're driving it!" :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.