Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Speed sensor problems

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ahya728 
#1 ·
Hi all I know im here in the UK but thought you guy may be able to help.
The 2002 Rav was running fine when it was switched off but then to day the speedo is either not working or bouncing so I had a look at the sensor and cleaned the contacts no joy so it may well have gone but there are other strange things would the sensor cause the gears to be in and out and the clutch appear to slip? Before I spend out on the sensor and find out its an ecu problem.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Hi do i have to get underneath the car to change the speed sensor on my rav4..2003 petrol ..Haynes manual says its on top of transmission
i can see what i think is the sensor lowdown back of transmission ?? looks difficult to get at. just trying to verify that i am looking at the correct sensor (very near to the steering rack)thank you

#3 ·
We bought AIT sensor because our 4.2 was also not showing the correct speed in the speedo and much later it showed troubles on idling and speed isn't normal, it's slower. The cause was the IAC sensor. Man, that ain't cheap for its size.

It may also be your 4.2's problem but prioritize the ecu last, because I doubt that thing could be faulty on daily situation. But Humphreys1123 could also be right, the speed sensor in the trans could also be the cause. OR worst, the gear of the speed sensor could also be faulty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.