Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

new 2002 rav 4 owner help needed

11K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  NY RAV 
#1 ·
hi all new to forum and rav 4

having a few issues with aircon and need some help

aircon light just flashing and not working

was advised to go in engine bay fusebox and take out aircon one and try putting horn one in to test if that makes it work but i cant work out which relay is which

please see attached pics of my fusebox , if anyone can help me

thanks
steve

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The A/C fuse is the 5 amp yellow fuse between 2 blue 15 amp fuses. I see you have a spare 5 amp fuse inside the cover.

#4 ·
#5 ·
thanks

hi
thanks but
yes i searched also and found those but did not answer my question i needed is why i posted :)

i am wanting if possible anyone who has the 2002 rav3 nrg with same fusebox as mine who can actualy tell me where the two relays are i mentioned so i can atleast strike of a relay issue

as for checking the part that supposed to turn i am not sure what i am looking for
i gather its near the belt near alternator but thats as much as i know

like i say im new rav 4 owner so still working out exactly what is what if know what i mean

thanks
steve

#8 ·
hi cutthroat22

yes found that but cant tell which relay is for aircon or horn as the lid dont show any of them wonder if on mine its located somewhere else

i did notice however right at front of engine bay where the little clear bit is for checking if bubbles in aircon fluid there is a relay right at side of it but again not sure if thats it or not

#7 ·
UPDATE :)

i am still having issues locating said relays but thought id try some other stuff

gave aircon filter located in passenger glove box area a clean

now not sure if that sorted it or not realy but now light on constant and cool air comming through but this was when engine was sat just idling and from a cold start

so later when i go for a run i will give it another test once car warmed up as thats when i relalised it was not working as only just baught car and was out for run when decided to check if was ok

fingers crossed i might have disturbed a wire or fuse or relay or just giving filter a quick blow might have sorted it but as my luck goes i very much doubt it :(

i managed to also locate the part that is supposed to turn when aircon on near alternator and that was turning ok but i did notice every now and again that it stopped at same time as one of fans slowed down then stopped near front radiator it was the fan on the right hand side of car looking from front of car but after a few seconds both the fan and the aircon bit near alternator started turning again i hoping at a guess that once the inside of car reaches a certain temprature level it turns it off for a bit then back on ,

any info on the above as to actually how the aircon works in simple terms would be much appreciated

steve

#10 ·
ah i saw some rav 4s did not have same aircon system and some not have relay

prob why other info i read on internet ie relay located in engine bay fusebox and take horn one out and replace to test is not for my model car :(

how can you test the magnetic clutch thingy for aircon near alternator as it was that i was looking for relay for to test if relay was cause of issue

please see vid here and it kinda explains better than i can not same car but was directed there by another forum

thanks
steve

#11 ·
There's no relay for the A/C clutch, it's driven by the passenger side ECU. Check the wiring at the compressor, make sure the connector is seated and no wires are broken. Beyond that, it's a matter of putting a meter on the connector to see if the clutch is getting voltage when A/C is turned on.

But, have you checked the pressure switch? If there's not enough refrigerant, or the pressure switch is bad, the clutch won't engage.

#12 ·
hi
thaks for letting me know this was driving me mad not being able to locate the relay :)

not had chance to take car for a run and gt it warmed up to check see if light flashes again on aircon

tested this morning and aircon light stayed on so i checked the clutch and that was turning then it stopped turning for a few secs and then started again as this was happening i checked the switch inside car and light was solid on no flashing now and aircon seems to be working

but like i say car was only idling and cold so maybe when take it for a run and warms up i get flashing light again fingers crossed i dont :)

i did however give the filter a quick clean thats behind the glovebox doubt it being that but ya never know

i let you know how it goes tommorw

i amhoping my haynes manual arrive soon then i have better idea where these parts are located ect where is pressure switch located ?

i can see a bubble in the little viewing window in engine bay does this mean there is sufficient fluid in system ?

thanks
again all all help is appreciated

#15 ·
well just as i thought my luck is bad :(

took for a run today as soon as ifred engine up i turned aircon on and set to blow cold

was driving for about 15 to 20 min aircon working great light was solid on switch and air blowing very cold so thought great its ok and turned it off

after driving to my destination approx a further 10 mins driving time with aircon off i pulled up and thought id do a further check to ensure all was still ok but no as soon as turned aircon on it was solid light for a few secs then went back to flashing light :( i did notice when i switched it on that engine revs went up and back down as normal so got out of car to check the clutch if was turning or not and nope not turning and fan closest to battery side was not turning also which i think this is fan for aircon

so now i am at a loss how can it work for 20 mins turn it off then it not work again just wondering if the time i had it running engine was not quite as hot as it was when it stoped working

any advise much appreciated as at min with purchasing car i have no funds to take it in for tests :(

#16 ·
ok so here is where i am at at min

been told there is no relay on mine so cant do that test

again i waited till car was cold and aircon works fin for 10 to 15 min

but as soon as engine gets to running temp then aircon light starts flashing and aircon not working

any advice or people had this same issue that dont have a relay to check please advise anything else i can check

#17 ·
Steve, I'm afraid this isn't a DIY type of repair. You're going to need to take the thing to a good A/C technician, so he can put the gauges on it and test it properly. It may be something as simple as a bad pressure switch, or possibly a bad compressor.

#18 ·
I have a good bit of auto Ac experience, but not specifically with the rav4. However the way you describe it sounds the the high pressure safety switch triggering and shutting the compressor down to protect it. This is typically from an overcharged A/C system, and relieving some of the refrigerant may solve your problem. It makes sense that it works on cold start and there after until the system builds heat/pressure. It explains why it works while you are moving, with good airflow over the condenser, but not when idling ( no airflow and Condensor fan can't keep up on its own because it's over charged, therfore higher pressure, higher heat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

#19 ·
hi all thanks for help and sugestions

think i will when got money take it to be checked out by pros

will it do any harm if i just dont use it till then ?
or am i better turning it on now and again even just till light blinks then turn it off just to keep circulating things till i can get it sorted ?

Boudin

even when driving it still not work after about 15 min

i was going with idea of pressure in system or a sensor in engine shutting it down because things are to hot which i also read somewhere

but thanks again all for advise is much appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.