Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rack Pinion Bushing Mount Bad

20K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  larsion 
#1 ·
Been searching with no luck for replacement bushing for steering rack and pinion mount for 2004 Rav4.
Is there a replacement bushing or do I just have to pull the rack and take it to a steering shop to find a bushing that will fit?

The rack & pinion bushing just went out and makes a thud noise when turning back and forth.

#2 ·
Looks like all I need to do re replace the 2 split bushings with a bushing of same size. I should be able to just pop the tie rods, remove the steering shaft, remove the bushing bolts and lift up. Shouldn't have to even remove rack from vehicle, assuming that I can get to the bushing that is behind motor with no problems.

I need part N1, of course its not listed anywhere Toyota or aftermarket.

There is a note about N1"This part is not supplied as an individual part because it is hard to assemble/disassemble due to structure"

So noting that, I might have to remove the rack from vehicle.

#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
NUTS! They sent me the wrong bushings. Have the rack out. The bushing are a pain to remove. I had to crush the lip of the bushing with a vicegrip to get a lip to grab on or pry under. The other side bushing can be hammered out once you have one side removed.

#6 ·
Got correct bushings #MB26464. The part number was correct but they sent the wrong bushing the first time.

They installed with some effort with a 1 ton arbor press. After installing them I seen that one of the bushing sets is made so you can adjust the rack for installation. Of course I didn't get lucky and I didn't install them in the correct direction so I couldn't get the 2nd mounting bolt in. As they are not serviceable per the FSM there is no info on how they were to be installed. Should of took pics before I removed them. I had to remove the rack and remove the bushing with a chisel and reinstalled them so the rack can move side to side (see pic). I used a hammer and steel rod to pound them back in.

Attachments

#7 ·
I have an 05 with same exact problem. rockauto has the price for $250-$300 but i'd like to keep OEM part. emailed the company you indicated in thread 5 mins ago. Hopefully he will return with some good news. i'll try to keep this second trial update for up coming reader

#9 ·
Okay, so far i got the order placed. He accepts paypal. $12.5/bushing x 4 = $50. Shipping is another $20. Seem expensive but still better than dealer or rockauto remanufacturer price. I hope my local mechanic will take the job for less than $200. More update will come

#10 ·
Okay guys, here is the final update. The company shipped part for $70 as mentioned . my local mechanic does the job for $100 which bring the total up to $170 (I live in Pennsylvania. Labor cost will vary based on your place). Will have it replace as soon as the part arrive. Thanks OP for information. This running around is life saver. Good luck all.

#11 ·
After doing the rack bushings I am now getting an intermittent VSC/Check Engine light. It cuts my power to the throttle for a short time. Then, after you sit and wait a while, you can drive normally with the VSC/Check Engine light. The CE codes are for Throttle Position Switch. Reader doesn't read VSC codes.

What is strange is after the car is derivable with the VSC/CE lights on, the lights can be reset/cleared by arming and unarming the car alarm. Thinking there was a problem with alarm (there is a wire that looks to be pinched off from the splice on the wiring harness under steering wheel. That wire can short if touched to ground) I unplugged the wires to the alarm. This did not help, the problem still happens but I can clear the VSC/CE lights as the alarm is not working.

I am guessing that the VSC needs to be reset. To take the rack out you have to unbolt the sway bar. With the sway bar loose and moved around when removing bolts and rack, that must of did something to the VSC. Not sure why it would trigger the CE light and why the throttle is disabled? I will try and see if I can reset the VSC with a jumper wire on the OBD2 port.

#12 ·
I did all the VSC reset and calibrations that were in the FSM. Yaw Rate Sensor, Zero Point Calibration and cleared the codes. All can be done with a paper clip or piece of wire. Drove all day today with no issue.

Make sure you or your repair shop reset and calibrate the VSC system if you remove the rack.

#14 ·
I used a short piece of wire to reset.

The instructions are a little to detailed for me to post. I just printed off the 2004 BRAKES ABS With EBD & BA & TRAC & VSC System - Diagnostics - RAV4 from the factory service manual.

There are a number of steps required and some are time sensitive. There are some videos on Youtube that show how to do some of the tests and resets.

I found the tests/resets to be a bit technical for my mechanical experience but after a few tries I got them figured out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.