Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

All 4 Power Window Failure

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  areed2317 
#1 ·
Good Evening!

My 2002 RAV4 4WD is acting up a little. None of the power windows work. I've tried a new fuse, and a new master switch. I know there is a relay in this thing, but where is it?! I couldn't find one that would do it in the Fuse and Relay box. Also of note possibly, the main cig lighter under the radio doesn't work. The one by the shifter does work. Anyone have any ideas? Am I out of luck and going to have to have someone look at the wiring?

No windows work period no matter what switch you use. Power locks work fine, sunroof works fine because it was installed after market.

Here's the beast herself, at 117,000 miles. I've put new headlights on her so she looks even better now.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have a schematic for your car but I don't think the problem is in the wiring unless you see signs of corrosion or someone has done wiring work recently. Your owners manual should give you the relay & fuse locations. And rather than replacing parts until you have a new car your clue is the 12V outlet. Get it working then try the windows.

#4 ·
And rather than replacing parts until you have a new car your clue is the 12V outlet. Get it working then try the windows.
It took a while to locate the circuit for the power outlets, but it appears that both the front and rear outlets are also powered by the same 30 amp fuse, and relay as the power windows.

So fix one problem, and you will have fixed the other.

#3 ·
No windows work period no matter what switch you use. Power locks work fine, sunroof works fine because it was installed after market.
The power windows are powered by the 30 amp "POWER" fuse which is located in the drivers side J/B ( interior near drivers left knee).

The windows will not work unless the "POWER RELAY" is operated, and that is located in the same location as the fuse.

The POWER RELAY only operates when it gets a signal from the ECU located in the passenger side J/B (behind dash on passenger side).

Trouble Shooting
1) Short pins #5 & #3 in the relay socket. If the windows now work, all the wiring to the switches and the switches themselves are good.

2) Check for voltage on pin #1 of the relay socket (with the ignition on). If 12v is present then the ECM is good .

3) Check for ground on pin #2 of the relay socket. If it is not there, then repair the ground connection.

If test #1,#2, and #3 are good then replace the relay.

Sorry, but I can't tell you how the pins are numbered in the relay socket, but there are only 4 to choose from. Pin #5 will be hot even with the ignition off (if the fuse is good). Pin #2 will be grounded all the time (if the connection is not broken). Pin #1 will only have voltage when the ignition is on ( if the ECM is working).

#6 ·
Greatly appreciate the information. Hoping to give this a shot tomorrow. Irritating to see "ECM" come up, just got over a fear of that with the transmission.

#9 ·
With the advice given, I checked the fuse again. When I had purchased the car, the guy had said the fuse had already been replaced and it couldn't be that. Well, seems like he used the wrong fuse. After pulling it out, it seemed like it wasn't the right fit. Right Voltage, just the fuse was too long. Bought a new one that was shorter, it worked. Not sure how that is possible but take it as you will.

Thank you all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.