blower motor [HVAC] - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
blower motor [HVAC]

My heat/ac blower has been making a strange noise this winter, and I hope it's not a sign that it's going south on me. It only happens for the first 5 or 10 minutes after I start the Rav when cold (such as in the morning) and goes away as the Rav4 warms up. It's a strange scraping/rattling noise that sounds like the bearings are going. I thought it might be the various nuts and bolts I have dropped down the vents at one time or another bouncing around in the blower, however the noise goes away after the blower has been running for a few minutes. It also seems to be linked to temperature, because the noise only started when winter rolled around, and it gets worse as the temp gets colder, much like the grinding noise the starter makes. The blower didn't make this noise last winter, so I'm thinking that it might be dying, or in need of lubrication.

2010 Green Tacoma DC V6 4WD 6-SPD TRD Off-Road
Former 2001 Black Rav4 4WD w/ 5-speed manual, 172+ miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Oil Burner

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
I had a VW Transporter that did that every cold morning for five years, as far as I know it is still doing that to the new owner. Sounds like a dry bearing, you might want to try to get a little oil or grease in to the bearings, though I fear that it may be easier said than done

#3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
noodlerooney

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
blower motor [HVAC]

Have you taken a look see at the blower via removing the filter?
I just did that with mine and found a damn mouse has been living on top of the filter along with all his acorns, wife, kids, in-laws, etc. Try running the blower with the filter removed while observing it's operation. Using a " magnet on a stick", you can probably retrieve a lot of those nuts and bolts you've lost without disassembling the unit. I'm really disappointed that a mouse is able to enter the cabin via the HVAC system. Placed a wire screen under the filter so he can't get in the cabin, replaced the filter with polyurethane foam for air conditioners cut to fit, set glue trap in place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page