A/C vent under the passenger seat - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:05 AM
Liz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
A/C vent under the passenger seat

There's a fork in the A/C vent under the front passenger seat , and it drives me nuts as it slides backwards and forwards while I drive. How do I go about retrieving the fork? The Haynes RAV manual doesn't even mention A/C ducts and how to reach and dismantle them, and it's definitely not something Toyota would put in the owner's manual.

Got ideas?

2001 2WD 5spd QO moonroof, >210k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

i have no idea what you're talking about. can you elaborate in kindergarten words? i'm a bit slow. you can also just drop by a toyota place that doesn't get much business and they should be able to help you for free....or at least give you some ideas or identify the source of the sound.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Anonymous

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
The official Toyota service manual doesn't cover this one either.

It looks like the seat has to be removed and the carpet pulled up to access the duct...probably 2 hours worth of labor at the dealer's. I would invest in a long-handled magnet or grasper from your local auto supply store first, and see if you can fish it out that way.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Try sucking it out with a big shop vac. Is the fork plastic or metal?

2010 Green Tacoma DC V6 4WD 6-SPD TRD Off-Road
Former 2001 Black Rav4 4WD w/ 5-speed manual, 172+ miles
#5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Liz

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, KCZ.
I was afraid of that (the info not being in the Toyota manual, needing either a strong magnet or having to take out the seat...).

Zoomie: several months ago a small fork (an eating implement, flatware) (along with a pile of other stuff) flew off one of the seats during a fast stop. Since I had many more miles to travel, the fork slid around on the floor and, apparently, somehow ended up in that flattened, plastic vent tube that's under the front passenger seat. Now it slides forward and aft in the vent tube under that seat, but it doesn't come out by itself.

2001 2WD 5spd QO moonroof, >210k miles
#6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, here's the plan:

I've uploaded a diagram of your venting system. Check out my personal ALBUM (If you're using internet explorer, hold down the SHIFT key and click ALBUM at the end of my thread. If you're using Firefox browser, hold down the CONTROL key while clicking on the ALBUM button. This will open the album in a new window) Use this diagram to help you figure things out.

Assuming you've determined that the fork is indeed magnetic (made of cobalt, nickel or iron) by testing it with an identical fork you may already have in your kitchen and driven up the steepest hill in your area that you know of in order to slide the fork as close to the vent opening as possible, you'll have a chance at getting the fork out all by yourself. Before you give yourself a pat on the back,.....

GOOD NEWS:
The venting duct turns 90 degrees upwards meaning that your fork must be located between that 90 degree turn and opening of the duct where the fork originally fell in. This means you've located the fork. It's not lost.

MORE GOOD NEWS:
The venting duct from the diagram appears to come in 2 pieces meaning you will not have to cut it to gain access. You may be able to simply pull the two sections apart. But first....

BAD NEWS:
You'll have to remove the passenger seat to gain access. Sorry there's no other way unless the magnet technique really works, in which case "congratulations." Otherwise, stop celebrating and continue with removing the seat. Though i've never done this, I assume you can remove the seat with a few turns of a wrench and some strong arms and peel off the carpet to find the duct underneath. I know this may sound scary, but it may be worth it.

Good luck.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

At Home Depot, Sears, and/or your local hardware store they sell these pickup tools that are used to reach nuts and bolts in tight places. The tool consists of a flexible shaft with little prongs that stick out one end, and on the other end there is a button or plunger that you push to make the prongs pick up the object. You can try inserting the tool in the vent to pick up the fork.

2010 Green Tacoma DC V6 4WD 6-SPD TRD Off-Road
Former 2001 Black Rav4 4WD w/ 5-speed manual, 172+ miles
#8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
At Home Depot, Sears, and/or your local hardware store they sell these pickup tools that are used to reach nuts and bolts in tight places. The tool consists of a flexible shaft with little prongs that stick out one end, and on the other end there is a button or plunger that you push to make the prongs pick up the object. You can try inserting the tool in the vent to pick up the fork.
Wow, awesome tip. I knew about those things, but totally didn't know where to get one. Good find. I might get one just to play with. haha.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:18 PM

this is kinda late and im not sure if this will help out now but i remember from long time ago, not sure if from here or rav4oz, somebody was asking about installin an amp under driver seat and people warned him about vent under the seat and said that it was easy to remove, and one person saw how to do that when they had their carpet removed for some reason.

'04
Rav4
4WD
See? I'm almost evil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page