2001 Rav4 - Rough/Low RPM Idle Problem - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 PM
JMEaT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Rough / low idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred
My 2001 also has rough/low idle.
I've replaced both oxygen sensors after the cataytic coverter. Both needed to be replaced but neither had anything to do with the actual rough/low idle problem... but at least I got rid of the Check Engine light.
I also replaced the idle air control valve. Still no help.
Since I've never replaced the fuel filter, I really think this should be my next step. However, I have no idea where this filter is. It's definitely NOT in the engine compartment as far as I can see. Can anyone tell me where the heck I can find the fuel filter on my 2001?
Thanks!
Tha Rav that won't Rev
The fuel filter is located above the fuel tank. If memory serves correctly it is accessable from one of the rear shock absorber strut towers of the rear tires (Lift the carpet under the rear seats to gain access to these). I think the 4.2's have a "Maintenance Free" fuel filter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:31 AM
grifter

Hi,

Just got my 2003 Rav4 M/T 4X2 a month ago and also experienced the rough idling during slowdowns in traffic or humps. I intend to have it checked when I have a scheduled maintenance at a nearby Toyota dealer shop.

Thanks to those who shared the fixes they've made.

Happy Holidays to All.

#23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Mr.Stang

I have a 2002 and i actually spoke to the dealer about that and they said there is nothing to do its perfectly normal. So i guess we will live with it.

#24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
amorak

Has anyone tried installing Red-Line or Amsoil synthetic ATF in a bid to tame the bucking transmission

#25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter
Hi,

Just got my 2003 Rav4 M/T 4X2 a month ago and also experienced the rough idling during slowdowns in traffic or humps. I intend to have it checked when I have a scheduled maintenance at a nearby Toyota dealer shop.

Thanks to those who shared the fixes they've made.

Happy Holidays to All.
hi grifter this is betong69. i read your forum about roug hidling and just want to know if the toyota fix it? i own a 04 rav4 and now im experiencing the same promblem. the mechanic from toyota told me that i have to replace throttle assy. which cost about 50,000 pesos or live with it. sobrang mahal!!

i hope you can share me your experience on how or what happen to your rav4.
thanks man!
#26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM

I have a 2005 Rav and I too have the problem of the RPM's dropping after it warms up to about 500/600 RPM's. This is a big problem with these cars and I think Toyota ought to clarify this problem for us. They certainly know of this problem by now. So you who are representing TOYOTA you need to come clean and help us on this issue!
PAul
#27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Sounds to me that there should be a recall on the defective part that is causing this low idle. It is a danger to all of us!
#28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Garage
2002 Rav4 idle low after changing battery

Just put a new battery in last night. The idle is now very low when I come to a light, or a stop. I saw a post where a comment was made about giving it a couple of running hours to reset? I got my battery at advance auto parts and they put the battery in for free. Did an excellent job....put the "felt" protectors and oil on the cable connections....so there is no dirt. Can someone please verify that the idle will "reset" after a few hours. I have only myself to count on and need my car in perfect running condition. Any feed back would be very much appreciated.

Pamela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page