knocking sound - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 PM
ashdavely

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
knocking sound

I have a 2004 2WD RAV4 with 61K miles. I have a couple issues that I could use some advice on. When moving the car from a complete stop I hear a single "knock" sound. It isn't very loud and sometimes I think I feel a vibration in the floorboard from it. The funny thing is it only does it after the engine has been running for 10-15 minutes. The sound seems to come from the front end of the car. I've taken it to the dealer and they said they have no idea what the sound is. I found that disturbing.

The other issue I am having is a knocking sound when braking firmly. It seems to occur randomly but only when braking at low speeds. My gut feeling is that one of the brake calipers is hitting the inside of the wheel. Yesterday I had a brake job done (new pads and rotors) hoping it would fix my problem. While the guy was doing the brakes I looked at the calipers and there was no evidence the calipers had hit anything. I also had all the shocks replaced and an alignment. On the way home, I heard that noise again. Doh!!

If anyone has any suggestions i'd love to hear them!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it the same knocking in both cases, acceleration & braking?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 01:10 AM
ashdavely

Both sound very similar.

When braking I hear the knocking sound until the vehicle comes to a stop (i guess it would be 3 or 4 knocks).

When I am accelerating from a complete stop I only hear it once.

#4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

found a couple of solutions to your "knock" in my Haynes manual..

possible causes:

1. Worn driveaxle CV joints
2. Worn side gear shaft centerbore in diff case
3. Loose engine or trans mounts

1 & 2 are common in 2 "problems" in the Haynes manual (Slow speed and accel / decel) , where as 3 is only found under accel / decel...

Hope this helps....

Keep on RAVin.....
#5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 AM
ashdavely

If the CV joints were worn shouldn't I hear that knock sound when turning? I drove in a circle for a few minutes this morning, but I didn't hear anything.

#6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

there are more than 1 CV joint per wheel... the inboard CV wont make the clicking sound when turning (the others will when the outboard CV's are stuffed)

Keep on RAVin.....
#7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

AshD, I would re-torque your tranny and Motor Mount.

Tighten the front suspention crossmember- to- body
mounting bolts.
Torque:
113 N·m (1,150 kgf·cm, 82 ft·lbf) for front side (a)
157 N·m (1,600 kgf·cm, 115 ft·lbf) for rear side (b)
(c) Tighten the rear suspension member-to-body mounting
nuts.
Torque: 127 N·m (1,300 kgf·cm, 94 ft·lbf)

Check the oil level in your Tranny and Transfer Case (also for leakage) Replace oil if not already done.

Then Jack the front end of your car & Support it well.

Then closely inspect your Axle joints by hand, and by rotating the tire B&Forth.
If you have to have someone else do it while you listen to how for in towards the diff case the noise is coming from.

Here is what I also found in the Manual…

INSPECT BALL JOINT AND DUST COVERS
(a) Inspect the ball joints for excessive looseness.
(1) Jack up the front of the vehicle and place wooden blocks with a height of 180 - 200 mm (7.09
- 7.87 in.) under the front tires.
(2) Lower the jack until there is about half a load on the front coil spring. Place stands under the vehicle
for safety.
(3) Check that the front wheels are pointing straight ahead, and block them with chocks.
(4) Using a lever, pry up the end of the lower arm, and check the amount of play.
Maximum ball joint vertical play: 0 mm (0 in.)
If there is play, replace the ball joint.
(b) Check the dust cover for damage.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

If your Rav is like mine, you here this noise more pronounced from a dead stop, particularly when parked on an inclince.

The 'clunk' you hear is the brake pads shifting. For one reason or another they fit the calipers slightly loosely. Mine started doing this around the 25,000km mark.

It's nothing to be overly concerned about, though, for your own peace of mind, you could pull off a wheel & inspect, at which point you'll likely see that the pad can 'flop' around slightly, thus the noise.

2004 Rav4 Chili
1997 Yamaha Exciter 220
#9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:15 PM
ashdavely

Thanks for your responses to my problem, it is much appreciated.

I could accept that moving brake pads are causing the clunk/knock sound on acceleration. Dumb design though, you'd think Toyota could do better. I will inspect the ball and cv joints anyway though. I'm fairly certain it isn't the motor mount. I have no idea how to rule out the transaxle mount.

I had a passenger sitting in the back seat today and he heard the rhythmic knocking sound I've been asking about. He said he thought it was originating from the rear passenger side wheel.

According to the TIS docs there isn't a CV or ball joint in the rear on the 2WD. The sound only occurs when I brake at low speeds (about 20ish mph). I just had the brakes checked and the rear shocks replaced last week, but this was happening before that. Any idea what it could be? Bearing? Stabilizer bar? Gnomes?

#10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 PM
ashdavely

The knocking sound in the rear passenger wheel ended up being the emergency brake pad(s). I had them adjusted but I may need to have the dealer repair/replace the pads. Apparently it is somewhat unusual to need this done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page