muliple misfires on a 2001 awd limited - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 PM
guam toy

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
muliple misfires on a 2001 awd limited

I've got a problem with my 2001 awd l rav 4. I have poor fuel economy, low rpm, and bogging out at 40 mph. I got it diagnosed and it said that I'm misfiring on cylinders 1,3,and 4. also my o2 sensor. the check engine light is flashing. I've tried replacing the plugs and the filter. I also dropped the oil gasket and cleaned that. M y friend said that the o2 sensor is my problem, but over here they cost $100 to $240 for the low side. I'm not sure if its the o2 sensor thats causing the so many cylinders to misfire or if its something else. Also befoe the problem I switched from gasing premium to regular unleaded. Any advice or comments to help me out please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 AM
spazzbecker

Re: muliple misfires on a 2001 awd limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by guam toy
I've got a problem with my 2001 awd l rav 4. I have poor fuel economy, low rpm, and bogging out at 40 mph. I got it diagnosed and it said that I'm misfiring on cylinders 1,3,and 4. also my o2 sensor. the check engine light is flashing. I've tried replacing the plugs and the filter. I also dropped the oil gasket and cleaned that. M y friend said that the o2 sensor is my problem, but over here they cost $100 to $240 for the low side. I'm not sure if its the o2 sensor thats causing the so many cylinders to misfire or if its something else. Also befoe the problem I switched from gasing premium to regular unleaded. Any advice or comments to help me out please?

Hi
It sounds if your coil packs could be defective, The flashing Check Engine light is that your CAT is over heating due to Raw fuel entering the CAT because of the missfire..
If #2 cylinder is performing OK then switch the coils around and see if it missfires on #2 cylinder after the swap.
Also an O2 sensor will not cause a missfire BUT can cause driverability problems..

If you need some coils then check herehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-GENUINE...QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck!

Spazz

#3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 PM
issaquahrav

Misfire Too!!

OK - I also am having multiple misfires - flashing check engine (CAT overheating I see) and multiple sensor codes. It's a 2000 AWD 4 Cylinder WITH CA Emmissions. When it was at the dealer getting the clutch replaced they said they pulled P1130 (A/F Sensor), and I just read a O2 sensor a few minutes ago.

What is this about the coils?? Referring to the plug wires where they get power from? Where are they and how do I check this. I really want to avoid the dealer guessing at my expense.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:25 PM
macman1415

I purchased a certified used 2003 RAV4 a year ago. And it is a super ride. September I did a premium fuel check to see if it was worth the extra cost compared to regular if my mileage would get better? October I changed back to regular. And about 2 weeks after changing back the check engine light came on. The reader showed P0300 & P0301. The list indicated P0300 misfire and P0301 misfire #1. We reset it because I never felt a misfire and the RAV ran with no problem or feeling of a misfire. 2 days later the light came on again and this time it indicated all 4 had a misfire and I never felt a misfire. I took it to the Toyota dealer where I purchased the car. After $135.00 dollars all they did was reset the light. 3 days later the light came on and again and took it back to the dealer because the car still has the remainder of the factory warrnenty. 3 weeks later I got my car back and they said they couldnít fix the problem.
They asked me what they should do? I said fix it what does the warranty mean. It means I have a boat anchor if they canít fix it. If we didnít like the size and 4wd I would tell them to jam their Toyotaís ,where the sun donít shine
They said they changed the computer, mass air sensor and the coil packs. I unplugged an plugged back in the o2 sensors. Looking for a bad connection. The light didnítí come on for a week then the code was miss fire #3 only. I was hoping that #3 miss fire would come on again so I could swap coil packs and move the problem. I reset the CPU and the light hasnít come on since BUT I do feel a misfire when cursing at about 55 mph. Some time it is really noticeable but the light wonít come on. Now when I want it to come on it wonít. I think Iím going to change the top o2 sensors it seems that it is the only common item. The car starts and run super at low speed or acceleration up to cursing speed. It never misses a beat. I also run it to red line and left the automatic do its thing and it never missed. Only at cruse and randomly

Harry

#5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
issaquahrav

I had mine in to the dealer - and it was BOTH the coil packs. After finding similar issues out there with other people on the net - this seems to happen semi-regularly to 2000-2003 RAVs. If you get misfire codes, and can randomly get O2 and A/F sensor codes also - this is most likely your issue. $630.00 later - she runs like a champ again!

#6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
macman1415

Here is an update on my dilemma. The last time I posted the RAV4 was missing randomly and no engine light. Well it really got bad. It got to the point that it was not drivable. My wife and I went of to the store and I was lucky to make it home. It would idle but would cut out and could hardly keep it running and still no engine light. I ordered the engine side o2 sensors. They cost $381.00 and list was $608.00. The old ones took awhile to remove because the threads galled on both sensors. I chased the threads and installed the new sensors. The first drive I was very disappointed. About a mile away from my home it started to miss again but a miss I didnít experience before. When I got to work about 6-mile trip it seemed to subside a little. After it was cold and the drive home there was no miss but seemed a little sluggish. The neat trip after the engine got cold it ran better and after the next cycle it got its old zip and run like it did a year ago. I read that the computer has to teach it self and a cycle is from cold engine to running temperature. I only have a code reader not a scanner/ reader. Iím not sure but maybe if I removed the battery I could reset the memory in the computer. So now we have our good old RAV4 again No thanks to the dealer. The only way they are going to know what the problem was is read this post.

Harry

#7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM
macman1415

The Last update on this RAV4.

It was great for 2 weeks until we took a 400-mile trip. On our return trip the miss was back. Long story short the dealer said they would only fix it if I pay $80 dollars an hour and since it isnít drive train or an engine problem the warranty donít apply.

THE RAV4 IS GONE.

That was an expensive 10k miles but enjoyed it while it worked correctly.

I enquired from the Toyota dealer, if I purchase a new car and after one year a problem occurs like this and they canít fix it, do I have a boat anchor? Answer is YES.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page