2003 Toyota RAV4 air fuel sensor location - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM
coriger

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
2003 Toyota RAV4 air fuel sensor location

Gents, I've read numerous threads on RAV4 air fuel sensors, but the one question I still have is where is it located?

I/we replaced an O2 sensor near the bottom on the engine on the driver side, but we still get an air fuel sensor error message (P1135) but the manual doesn't tell you where it is. Is it one of the upper sensors? If so, which side, driver? passenger?

I've even seen drawings that show it in front of the catalytic converter, but there isn't one there, they're all up front.

So, of the four sensors up front, and with the bottom 2 being O2 sensors, which of the two upper are the air fuel sensor?

Thanks. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Chuck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to The Drifter Send a message via Yahoo to The Drifter
P1135 = A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1).

Thats going to be the top sensor on the RIGHT SIDE, FACING THE ENGINE from the front.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
coriger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
P1135 = A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1).

Thats going to be the top sensor on the RIGHT SIDE, FACING THE ENGINE from the front.
thank you so much. I even bought a Haynes Book and they show contradictory information regarding the O2 sensor and the air fuel sensor within a few pages of each being discussed.

One more question: can I use a universal sensor or does it have to be from Toyota?
Thank you thank you. You don't know how tough this has been to figure out.

Chuck

#4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Well you could use an aftermarket sensor, but being a toyota tech, I cant just say go right ahead
#5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 PM
coriger

Quote:
Well you could use an aftermarket sensor, but being a toyota tech, I cant just say go right ahead
Drifter, thanks. I called around and did more web research and it has sounded to me like the air fuel sensor is different than the O2 sensor? I found Bosch and Densor sensors and I thought O2 was different from the air fuel sensor?

Or are they all truly the same? I called a Toyota Dealership and the guy said "I've seen people put in the other (universal) sensors and they've come back with problems. I believe you, but I'm still not sure what to order?

HEre's what I find on the web.

Bosch Air Fuel Ratio Sensor - 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4 4WD/4-Door 1AZFE
Other products by Bosch
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
List Price: $279.97
Price: $187.90
You Save: $92.07 (33%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by AutoPartsWAY.

Product Features

* RIGHT/UPPER SIDE OF CAT
* 1 YEAR WARRANTY

IF it's not this, then what is it? Is it just another O2 sensor like the one we replaced on the lower right hand side of the engine as you face it? We replaced that one to get rid of the O2 sensor error.

Thanks...I won't ask any more questions. )) I appreciate your help.

#6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
NO NO NO they are not the same. O2 Sensor are what they call "Narrow Band" sensors, while an oxygen sensor is a "Wide Band" sensor. while the both serve essentially the same purpose, they both send completely different signals (and O2 sensor having a "Narrow band" of sensing range, while an A/F has a "Wide band" sensing range, much larger than an O2.). and to top that off, the wiring for either of them is completely different. While it is possible to wire one in place of the other, it wouldnt be "plug and play."
#7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
coriger

Ok, thank you. I think part of my confusion was in thinking that the universal sensors all were in the $65 range while the air fuel sensor might in fact be $200 even though it's not a Toyota part. A Toyota part might be $300 or more is my guess so it's not unreasonable to expect it to be $200.

See, I kept thinking well if I can use any sensor then they'll all be around $65. But when I go to O'Reilly's Parts there is no such animal. The only option is a $200 sensor that is in fact called an air fuel sensor.

We'll get the Bank 1 Sensor 1 part today!

thanks again Drifter.

#8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
NO NO NO they are not the same. O2 Sensor are what they call "Narrow Band" sensors, while an oxygen sensor is a "Wide Band" sensor. while the both serve essentially the same purpose, they both send completely different signals (and O2 sensor having a "Narrow band" of sensing range, while an A/F has a "Wide band" sensing range, much larger than an O2.). and to top that off, the wiring for either of them is completely different. While it is possible to wire one in place of the other, it wouldnt be "plug and play."
EDIT:O2 Sensor are what they call "Narrow Band" sensors, while an air/fuel sensor is a "Wide Band" sensor.

haha, sorry about that. and im glad you got it all figured out, good luck
#9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 PM

P1135 - Manufacturer controlled air / fuel metering

Just got code P1135 (sensor 1 - bank 1) the other day on my wives 2003 RAV 4. Total cost at the dealership was $365. It took them 2-hours to replace it. Glad I did not attempt it myself. The only thing that concerns me is that it went bad @ 73K miles. Is that the normal life span for the A/F sensor?
#10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:38 PM

I just replaced a Air/Fuel sensor ( Bank-1 / Sensor-2 ~ Code P1155 ) @ 42Kmi.s There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to why or when they crap-out. The aftermarket part Denso, needed a thread adapter and wire splicing, and was $285, and I couldn't find out which sensor was which, and I did not like the sound of aftermarket mods entailed, so I went to the stealership. About $375., but it was done right... I assume, and guarantied. They even washed the car.
I believe Bank-1 / Sensor-2 is top/left, facing the engine. (on exhaust manifold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page