How to do Power Lock Actuator Replacement - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List
emiskaye

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to do Power Lock Actuator Replacement

How to Replace Power Lock Actuator in Toyota RAV4

This is a 2003 RAV4 driver’s door actuator replacement. I am providing a description of my experience, in hopes of helping others. Was surprised I could not find anything. Not for a beginner.

1. Remove the door panel and look to this post for excellent description: http://rav4world.com/mods/4.2/interi...tallation.html

2. I would add, that to remove power window switch, gently pry up front and use a small screwdriver to press in the clip, and it will come right out. If force is used, the back fixed plastic clip will break (pics below).

3. Peel back the plastic on door carefully. The actuator is connected to the door latch and the whole mechanism needs to be disconnected. There are several bolts on door (behind where panel was), and at edge of door. Take out three bolts as indicated. Also disconnect power into actuator (see clip hanging loose). You can plug into new actuator and then activate to make sure this was your problem.

4. Take out three torx bolts at side of door holding latch inside door. Also take out screw at bottom of door. This holds flexible window track. (You will later fold that up and out of the way).

5. Take out the plastic piece at top of door edge. This is near lock, and will allow you to disconnect the rods connecting door handle, lock and latch.

6. The unit will now be loose. From the door, gently reach up into door insides and look for vertical metal rods coming out of the top of the latch, and going up to door handle and lock. Disconnect the plastic lock tabs with by gently pry away from bar. To disconnect the yellow clip, go to access hole in number 5 above and use piece of wood, or screwdriver on rod and tap out. (Plastic clip is pressure fit into hole, and you may not be able to pull out. I had to tap it out with hammer. Gentle).

7. Fold up flexible door track so its out of way, and you can now pull unit out of door with cables to power switch. **Leave cables going from power switch to unit, as these remain attached. There may be a wire clip to disconnect and give more play.

8. This is a view of unit pulled out of door (with cover on) and of the cover removed from actuator below.

9. There is one bolt fastening cover onto unit and two screws holding actuator in place. Remove. Note Actuator is still in place with two cables coming into it.

10. This picture shows two screws holding actuator to unit, and where it connects to latch unit cables. Carefully disconnect and put new actuator in line.

11. Assembly is the reverse. Don’t forget to reattach metal rods and clips. Keep power disconnected until done.

12. This is a view of power lock switch tab. Push this in and pull up and forward to remove this panel part.

Got part from Parts.com for about $75. They sent it out and I got it in 2 days. Very impressive response given I live in Hawaii. Let me know if this was helpful. I am not a mechanic, but was a serious auto hobbyist a longtime ago. This was a challenge, so I wanted to try and help others.

Matthew Kohm

Last edited by JuneBug; 02-09-2014 at 11:01 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to emiskaye For This Useful Post:
cutthroat22 (07-21-2013), fdeoliveira90 (09-09-2013), Noel (01-14-2014), Sven (07-30-2013), theabomb (01-03-2014), trub0514 (09-01-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Excellent write up emiskaye! I (and a lot of us 4.2ers) have this exact problem with the drivers door. I just chose to ignore it b/c the dealer was charging an arm and a leg to fix.

Thanks! It's people like you that make this forum such a great place to be

'02 Rav4 LTD AWD (Onyx black, f. flares, moonroof, alloys) SOLD (Aug '02-Aug '10)
'97 Accord EX-R V6 (heather mist metallic, roof, beige leather, alloys, pwr seat) SOLD (March '09-Dec '10)
Current: '04 Acura 3.5RL Premium (Nighthawk Black Metallic, black leather) (October '10-present)
Advice: Life's too short to spend $35K on a NEW Rav4. Buy used a Acura/Lexus, ENJOY life AND save money. Trust me, you won't regret it.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Great tutorial. Thanks.
I would like to link to this from our german sites http://www.jumy-forum.de and http://rav4faq.kerkerinck.de - okay?

Regards,

St.

http://www.jumy-forum.de - the largest german RAV4 community
http://rav4faq.kerkerinck.de - the german RAV4 FAQ
#4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sure

Yes. Absolutely, as long as it is OK with forum...I think it should be.

Thank you both R_Rav4 and GestRAVt for the good words and I am glad to be helpful.

Aloha,

Matthew
#5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:23 PM

I would also like to say thanks! Your pic of the drivers door with the inside panel removed should be helpful to anyone with ideas of replacing/updating their OEM mirrors and speakers... ahem, like ME!

I realize that your RAV is an older model, but the picture should be helpful none the less!

Mike

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!
#6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 AM

What made you changed the actuator? What are the symptoms of a faulty actuator?? I am having a problem w/ my driver side and I may be using this in the very near future here.

Thanks for a bad ass write up.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 AM

Awesome writeup, emiskaye!

Thanks for sharing!

Year of the Ox!
#8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM

Matthew ... I did exactly per your write-up. Everything worked out great. Many thanks!!! I had to rely on a friend to get the part from US as www.parts.com does not ship out side of US.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 PM

My driver side door does not want to lock or unlock with the remote and also if you push the button on the door. Is that what this thread is about? I need some advice on it.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 PM

If you push the button to lock all the doors and everything would respond except the driver side door, this post is likely applicable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page