D4D Diesel Engine starting problems - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
D4D Diesel Engine starting problems

Hi RAV4 world. I am absolutely new in this community and recently bought a D4D Rav4.2 diesel model year 2005. From the day I bought it, I noticed that the starting was not as fast as I expected it. I know the starting behaviour from other diesel cars mainly BMW and Mercedes and I think the Toyota takes a little longer to start than the other ones I know.
The engine is turning fast , the battery and starter seem not to be the problem but when I turn the key and the engine cranks, it takes between 2 and 4s to start and somtimes, it even takes to tries to start it. (I always wait till the glow plug light turns off before starting!) It is doing that mainly at the first start in the morning (minimum temp was so far +5C) and the other starts over the day are a little better, at least it usually starts the first time I try.
I tried fuel injection sytem cleaner already but this did not improve the situation.

Now, I am a little concerned because the winter time is coming and I don't know if the starting problems are getting worse. I think is it takes so long at each start, the battery might also be stressed to much which could then result in battery failure soon.

Does anyone has an idea what the cause for that could be? Maybe a timing/synronization issue? Or fuel supply to the pump? I am not sure, but I do not think that the glow plugs can be the cause because in my opinioon, the car should start at temperatures above +5C without even using the glow plugs. Any idea is very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:07 AM

fuel filter replaced? and test glow plugs or plug relay.If no any other reason - maybe this engine not cold resistant, and need webasto thermo top heating unit

The GOAL justifies the means
#3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 AM

honestly, i think one of those items: glow plugs, fuel filter, etc. is causing the problem. At +5C, I don't know any engine that would normally have trouble starting in these temperatures. I have a petrol 4.2 and it takes me a few cranks to start it up in 0C. It never took me 2 tries though... Honestly, it sounds like bad glow plugs.

01 rav4 L 4WD with almost all options! :-)
#4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thnks for your anwers. In the meantime glow plugs and relay have been checked and found to be ok. Fuel filter has been changed but no improvement. There are no codes stored that indicate any issue. My personal thought is there might be air in the fuel system. The longer the car has not been started, the longer it takes to get it running, even at temps above +5C where I would not expect the glow plugs to be contributing a lot to the start up. I think I will try to check for bubbles in fuel upstream the high pressure fuel pump. Any thoughts?
#5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlott23
Thnks for your anwers. In the meantime glow plugs and relay have been checked and found to be ok. Fuel filter has been changed but no improvement. There are no codes stored that indicate any issue. My personal thought is there might be air in the fuel system. The longer the car has not been started, the longer it takes to get it running, even at temps above +5C where I would not expect the glow plugs to be contributing a lot to the start up. I think I will try to check for bubbles in fuel upstream the high pressure fuel pump. Any thoughts?
Suppose the anti-drain-back valve in the fuel pump were leaking. I would see how things compare if you turn on the ignition a little longer to let the electric fuel pump get going, before you crank. Maybe you already do that.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 AM

what about battery and terminal connectors? battery like new? connectors clean? for russia is very usual winter temp above -20 -25C. also for me. thats because diesel cold start for me means 10years cold-start experience.My cars are always outside. i have silly idea, that toyota common rail diesel system is not cold-resistant.first easy way to easy cold -start - use hi amp battery,clear terminal connectors.2) fuel must be "winter type". 3) engine oil -low viscosity grade - such as 5w30 api CF, 0w30 CF - syntetic type much better.before start engine, press clutch pedal, after starting - release. check fuel pump - it can "slip on"-need-to-change. for me,preffer to buy webasto heating system-save nerves,start-in time.If glow plugs well,fuel filter well,battery well,fuel well, hard-to-cold-start means no way out.enjoy toyota CR system.Maybe CR rail low pressure,how to resume* don`t know.

The GOAL justifies the means
#7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM

Hi there

Do you know you have an exellent Rav 4 forum in your own country,Germany
think there are lot more diesel drivers overthere

http://www.jumy.de/

Made in Belgium
#8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ron.sheldon
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlott23 View Post
Hi RAV4 world. I am absolutely new in this community and recently bought a D4D Rav4.2 diesel model year 2005. From the day I bought it, I noticed that the starting was not as fast as I expected it. I know the starting behaviour from other diesel cars mainly BMW and Mercedes and I think the Toyota takes a little longer to start than the other ones I know.
The engine is turning fast , the battery and starter seem not to be the problem but when I turn the key and the engine cranks, it takes between 2 and 4s to start and somtimes, it even takes to tries to start it. (I always wait till the glow plug light turns off before starting!) It is doing that mainly at the first start in the morning (minimum temp was so far +5C) and the other starts over the day are a little better, at least it usually starts the first time I try.
I tried fuel injection sytem cleaner already but this did not improve the situation.

Now, I am a little concerned because the winter time is coming and I don't know if the starting problems are getting worse. I think is it takes so long at each start, the battery might also be stressed to much which could then result in battery failure soon.

Does anyone has an idea what the cause for that could be? Maybe a timing/synronization issue? Or fuel supply to the pump? I am not sure, but I do not think that the glow plugs can be the cause because in my opinioon, the car should start at temperatures above +5C without even using the glow plugs. Any idea is very welcome.
hi i had the same with my2006 rav 2.2 diesel i changed glow plugs still same problem battery tested ok 12.4 volts but took to garage the tested it and said i needed a new battery so fitted one had no problems since hope you sort it ron
#9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
it is not just the battery voltage but also how much time the battery can supply this charge when under load.

I could easily put a few 8 AA batteries in series to get 12v but that would not start the car.

You also have to test the CCA, which you cannot do with a voltmeter.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "EUROPE" - Secret Society
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page