are you having ECM/tranny probloms? heres what you need to do. - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hi Ironframe
To answer your questions the best i can i will say this since having my rav 4 i have done a fair few bits and bobs on it because i like my vehicles to " be as they should be " and run at the best they can, i do have a few vehicles but do not want to disclose what or how many but as repairing them and rebuilding them has been a lifetime career for me and i have always enjoyed what i do so if i can pass on information that helps others keep costs down and makes the main dealer bandits not earn as much thats a bonus for me.
this is a company in debyshire that i have spoken to but took some time to gain their confidence but i can say fairly that i would reccomend them , and even more so as the give a lifetime warrenty with their work ! you would not get that from Mr T !

[
Code:

HTML] 
http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/product/toyota_rav4_ecu_engine_management_combined_transmission_ecu_etu177071-a.html
[/HTML]
Please let me know how you find this company if and when you use them .

I am at the moment doing a strip out of my own ecu which i will open up and investigate and as it falls in to the error ones i will test and see what or where they go wrong . i have been trying to beg one of these ECUs which have gone down to take apart and see what has gone and fix it and test it but alas they always say its gone ! Umm is there a home for US ECUs somewhere ???

I am going to do a full post on removal and testing of this ECU of my own and have already taken it out and took all the pics to post here of this process but have yet to take the ECU apart to test but will do as stated a full post with pics at a later date.

If any members has a " knackard " ECU that falls into these brackets please pm me if they would be willing to donate it to a good cause .

the website above has all the numbers of the so called bad or prone to failure ECUs so you could always check that out but always there is a but . you have to take out the ecu to get the number ! DOH !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM

The physical fault you will see inside the ECU is tracks lifted from the circuit board, due to over heating. But other parts are replaced on the board to complete the fix for good.

Toyota revised the design of the ECU for 2004 models to eliminate the problem. My car missed the recall as they thought it only affected vehicles built in July 2004, and I got my car in late August. But I pointed out to them that it would take at least 5 weeks to send my car over from Japan to the UK so yes my car would have one of the faulty ECU's

Please Do not under estimate this issue its very dangerous to drive the vehicle with this fault.

My vehicle selected reverse gear whilst it was moving forward with the gear selector in drive. I was lucky the vehicle was travelling at parking speeds at the time. The gearbox refused to give me anything but reverse. There were no fault codes in the ECU either no warning signs that the fault was going to happen. I left the car for 1 hour and the fault was gone.

The only clue I had was a feeling that the car seemed to jump out of gear.

I would also say I noticed from day one that I sometimes experienced that the car would not change up gear, and I would have to lift completely off the throttle to force the gear change.

I have managed to obtain an ECU which was re-manufactured in the states and was successfully used by a person in the UK to cure the rough shifting problem in their car. Lucky for me their car was written off in an accident and i was able to buy it for £159.

The only problem I have is to get a technician who can make the security in my car talk to the ECU and my car keys.

This is not something the Toyota dealer can do either they aren't allowed to. However the dealer did pass me on to a chap who can do the job even without keys.

Fingers crossed the new ecu will be installed into my car on Wednesday 27th November.

I gather from the main dealer, that if your box is damaged then it will have the rough shifting problems all of the time, which I don't have. In addition the gearbox fluid is a nice red colour and clean.

I need my Rav4 back soon as I'm informed that snow is coming soon. Can't wait to annoy all those BMW's again in the snow.

This is the only serious problem (musn't forget the the 02 sensor and the coil pack) I have had with this car over a period of 9 years and 86,000 miles. So it has come as a bit of shock, and has talked me out of a new Rav4 for the moment. Which really isn't a fair viewpoint considering how faithful the car has been
The Following User Says Thank You to bungobuns For This Useful Post:
Wizard (12-01-2012)
#23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungobuns View Post
The physical fault you will see inside the ECU is tracks lifted from the circuit board, due to over heating. But other parts are replaced on the board to complete the fix for good.

Toyota revised the design of the ECU for 2004 models to eliminate the problem. My car missed the recall as they thought it only affected vehicles built in July 2004, and I got my car in late August. But I pointed out to them that it would take at least 5 weeks to send my car over from Japan to the UK so yes my car would have one of the faulty ECU's

Please Do not under estimate this issue its very dangerous to drive the vehicle with this fault.

My vehicle selected reverse gear whilst it was moving forward with the gear selector in drive. I was lucky the vehicle was travelling at parking speeds at the time. The gearbox refused to give me anything but reverse. There were no fault codes in the ECU either no warning signs that the fault was going to happen. I left the car for 1 hour and the fault was gone.

The only clue I had was a feeling that the car seemed to jump out of gear.

I would also say I noticed from day one that I sometimes experienced that the car would not change up gear, and I would have to lift completely off the throttle to force the gear change.

I have managed to obtain an ECU which was re-manufactured in the states and was successfully used by a person in the UK to cure the rough shifting problem in their car. Lucky for me their car was written off in an accident and i was able to buy it for £159.

The only problem I have is to get a technician who can make the security in my car talk to the ECU and my car keys.

This is not something the Toyota dealer can do either they aren't allowed to. However the dealer did pass me on to a chap who can do the job even without keys.

Fingers crossed the new ecu will be installed into my car on Wednesday 27th November.

I gather from the main dealer, that if your box is damaged then it will have the rough shifting problems all of the time, which I don't have. In addition the gearbox fluid is a nice red colour and clean.

I need my Rav4 back soon as I'm informed that snow is coming soon. Can't wait to annoy all those BMW's again in the snow.

This is the only serious problem (musn't forget the the 02 sensor and the coil pack) I have had with this car over a period of 9 years and 86,000 miles. So it has come as a bit of shock, and has talked me out of a new Rav4 for the moment. Which really isn't a fair viewpoint considering how faithful the car has been

Am pleased to read you are getting "sorted " i have my ECU out at the moment are will run some tests next week and see if i can find any " suspicious " areas on the circuit board with the information i have now gleaned apparently a few years of these ECU were contracted out to another company to make and as we are aware sometimes certain companys use the cheapest parts to do the contract with and hope they get away with it but yes toyota had to " replace " these ECU s with a different one after 2003 because of problems by what i have gathered up to now yes i can confirm that some board have suffered from circuit "lift " which is caused by excessive heat in various components on the board but i will run some tests to see4 if there is any prone to failure areas on the board .the other fault seems to be more from rust from condensation which i find strange to get because of the location of the ECU but we can never second guess what problems may arise from inside any vehicle in the course of use i over my lifetime have certainly come across some amazing failures which could never have been predicted by testing !and were totally baffling as to why they failed but we are all still learning and i just wish i could get hold of a " failed " unit to see what actually goes wrong in the course of time i will find one .

repairing circuit boards are easy once you have exprience of this and the parts are very cheap even very good parts are not expensive to buy and install .

Good luck with your problem please let me know how you get on .
#24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 PM

I'm a brand new member, So what are the affected VIN numbers, how can I find those? And how do you go about removing the ECM? What does it look like? I just bought a 2003 rav4 that I am madly in love with it has 106,000 miles on it. It's not something I can do myself even though I am a mechanically inclined female, I am now disabled and simple things are pretty difficult for me now. But from reading these posts it doesn't sound like a difficult thing to do so I'm sure I could get my mechanic guy to get it out and have a peek.

Sent from my LGL75C using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 PM

Okay another question is it an ECU or an ECM?

Sent from my LGL75C using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:23 PM

There is a lot of info in the attached thread:
ECM/Transmission problem for 2001-2003 RAV4

When my 01 developed the transmission symptoms in late October, I read the whole thread from beginning to end. Somewhere in there is a link to a Youtube video explaining how to remove the ECM/ECU. (See post #401). Both abbreviations are used to describe the same thing: Electronic control unit/electronic control module. It is a metal box a little smaller than a video cassette, and it resides behind the glove box.

I removed mine in about 10 minutes and sent it to Sergei in Brooklyn ("chkengine") for repair right when he was flooded from the recent hurricane. He still managed to get it back to me within a couple of days. After the repair and re-installation, mine has worked flawlessly. To me it was a great value for $220.

Good luck with your car. If is one that was manufactured with the problem ECM's I would suggest sending it to Sergei for repair before it spontaneously becomes a huge problem with no warning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page