are you having ECM/tranny probloms? heres what you need to do. - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
are you having ECM/tranny probloms? heres what you need to do.

with everything going on with the ECM on the new toyota cars and them being investigated we need to get them to look at 2001-2004 rav4s so we can get new trannys and ECMs. we have almost been in many accidents becasue of this and after spending $8,000 on the car we dont have another $5,000 to stick into a $$9,000 car. they need to fix there worngs befor some else gets killed.

please write to you'r local governor and let them know about this, also i wrote a lenghty email to national highway traffic safety admin. at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ they have recived over 300 in a artical i just read on the 2001-2004 rav4, if there is enough complaint they will add it to the list and toyota will have to do somthing. all it takes is a few seconds and it can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 PM

what does it do?

Regards,
Mike
#3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 PM

(Thread Starter)
we had the computer fixed but it was too late the clutchs must be burnt it still slips, fixed the 2nd gear jerk shomehwnat
#4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 01:38 PM

(Thread Starter)
wow thats a funny word....shomehwnat! sorry
#5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM

2001-2003 Rav4 transmission/ECM problems

I am one more victim of Toyota’s greed and lack of care for the safety of their car owners.

It is extremely unsafe to drive your 2001, 2002, 2003 Rav4 with these acceleration and transmission issues (and you will ruin your transmission).

I have had the same problems as many other 2001, 2002, 2003 Rav4 owners. Mine is a 2001 and at 92,000 miles my car would struggle to accelerate from a stop – then all of a sudden it would connect in the wrong gear and speed ahead (like someone had stomped on the gas pedal). Also, shifting was very harsh when shifting from park to reverse. These problems were intermittent and you never knew when it would happen.

My garage (not a Toyota dealership, as I don’t trust them) put my car on the computer and no codes came up showing a problem. They flushed the transmission and told me to drive it. After driving for 2-3 miles it began to change gears erratically and had the same lack of acceleration problems. I drove it a few more days and while turning onto a 4-lane highway my car was struggling to accelerate and all of a sudden it was if someone stomped on the gas pedal. – I immediately took it back to the garage and left it there. I did not have a spare vehicle to drive – but was too afraid to drive mine. This is a very serious safety issue, especially when pulling out onto a highway or interstate.

The next step was to have the transmission rebuilt ($$$$). I searched the internet and read about others with the same issues. Many had spent thousands of dollars rebuilding or replacing their transmissions and were still having the same problems.

A few people mentioned that they had success with CHECK ENGINE, ETC. fixing the ECM (it tells the transmission what to do). That made sense to me that if something is wrong with the ECM – then fixing the transmission is a waste of time and money. I was very hesitant and apprehensive about using a company I knew nothing about and that was located in another state. But, it was easier to come up with a few hundred dollars and try Check Engine, Etc. than a few thousand on a rebuilt transmission that would probably have the same issues.

I called Check Engine, Etc. and spoke with Sergei about the problem. He said if I had not driven my car too much (less than 500 miles) then my transmission would probably be okay. I had driven less than 100 miles. I sent the ECM to him in New York from South Carolina via USPS Express Mail. If they receive it by 12 noon – they can usually fix the part and send it back out the same day via USPS Express Mail. In a couple of days I had the ECM back in my car and have had no problems with the acceleration or shifting and it now glides into reverse from park with no clunking or jerking. Bless you Sergei and Check Engine, Etc.! You saved me thousands of dollars (that I didn’t have) and many headaches. Thanks also to those that mentioned Check Engine, Etc. in their online comments.

Sergei’s web link and contact information:
www.rav4ecm.net/default.htm
Check Engine, Etc.
2731 Stillwell Ave
Brooklyn, NY, 11224
Phone: 718-449-1734
E-mail: chkengine@yahoo.com

I called Toyota and filed a complaint - but they refused to do anything because of the 80,000 warranty (but the probably doesn’t usually start until after 80,000 miles). I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA and with the Better Business Bureau. We all need to bombard Toyota, NHTSA and the BBB with complaints.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 PM

imma try calling sergei tom. my car is a 2003 4wd rav4, im having problems with quick shifting without enough power/rpm. so i push down the peddle more to down shift again inorder for me to get the speed. i only have 55k on my miles, so you think i can bring it to toyota?
#7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 AM

You might have no problem with ECM at least yet. What you might have - miss adjusted TPS - throttle position sensor which indicate to ECM your intentions - how fast you want to accelerate.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 AM

Rav4 ecm repaired

I found a company to finally repair my rav4 ecm. At first Toyota told me a new ecm would cost $1650.00. Well instead of buying a new rav4 ecm I contacted an ecm repair shop Rav4 Transmission Shifting Problems And Ecm Repair and they repaired the rav4 ecm within 48 hours.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 AM

CALLING ALL UK OWNERS HARSH SHIFT PROBLEM 2001 -2003

I have been lucky not to have been involved in an accident as a result of the ECU having a known manufacturing fault resulting in the ECU selecting reverse whilst in drive or any other gear. The result is you will be put at risk.

If your RAV4 was manufactured between 2001 and 2003 and it is an automatic, your RAV4 will have this fault. You may be lucky and it has not happened to you.But as you are reading this it is more than likely you have found out about the problem after the fact.

Toyota knew about this problem in 2004 and redesigned the ECU. They did not inform their customers. In 2006 they released a service advisory but again concealed this information from their customers.

Ironically in the USA Toyota have been taken to court

Milligan v. Toyota Motor Sales

on Jan 2012 and as a result they have been forced to accept claims for this defect. However reading online Toyota are still dragging their feet on this issue and finding ways to get out of not paying up which is a disgrace.

Toyota UK are denying this issue and have said the document is a service advisory not a recall. In other words they don't care!

So please all UK toyota RAV4 owners if you have this fault or it has occurred in the past can you please register the fault with VOSA

Vehicle Defects

download the form and fill in the form. you can either post it or email it to them.

Please help bring this fault to the attention of our Government bodies before someone has to pay the price with their life. I was very lucky but the next person might not be.

Toyota have acted in a deceitful manner in my opinion and endangered your life by not informing you of this known risk. You have not been given the chance to take remedial action on their advice and that is wrong and irresponsible.

I really liked my RAV4 because I believed I was driving a vehicle which was manufactured by a caring company. I feel mis sold.

If this posted elsewhere I am sorry for repeating it.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 AM

This is a good course of action. I would say wherever you are on this planet and your RAV4 has this fault or had it, you should report it to the relevant government body so that Toyota accept their known liability. Its not fair that owners lives are being put at risk. Further its not fair that owners are being asked to fault find and payout for ecu repairs and gearboxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page