Serpentine Belt Installation Procedure - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Serpentine Belt Installation Procedure

Thought these step bye step instructions might be helpful to anyone planning on installing a serpentine belt on their Rav4 2004.

1) Remove the right front wheel (this makes the job much easier).
2) Remove enough of the hardware holding the splash guard in place to move it out of your way (I removed the three screws I needed to with a phillips head screwdriver, or you can use a 10mm socket and appropriate drive. I removed the two remaining push in fasteners with a small slotted screwdriver).
3) Using a long breaker bar (I used a 17” half inch drive Craftsman) and a 19mm half inch drive 6 point socket, (I used a Craftsman socket that was 1 1/2" deep) compress the tensioner (use a slow and steady pressure to achieve this compression). There’s only one 19mm bolt on the tensioner assembly, so you can’t make a mistake (I attacked it from the top side of the motor, pulling the breaker bar toward the front of the vehicle).
4) While keeping the tensioner compressed, have an assistant (in my case it was my beloved fiancée Ann) slip the belt off the small, smooth idler pulley. You will then be able to work the belt off the rest of the pulleys.
5) Install the new belt (its non directional, so you don’t have to worry about that) by wrapping around the power steering pulley first. Make sure you leave the small, smooth idler pulley for last. That’s the easiest pulley to finish the installation with.
6) After you’ve checked to see that the new belt is wrapped around all the pulleys correctly (not only the orientation, but that the belt’s grooves are mated to all the pulleys’ grooves properly), start the engine and make sure the belt turns smoothly.
7) Reinstall the splash guard, the wheel, and you’re good to go.

Just as insurance, I had a Chilton manual available to me, so that I could keep referring back to the serpentine belt installation diagram when needed.

Good luck!

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:56 AM

Wow, sounds pretty easy! Great instructions! I assume a 2002 Rav would be pretty similiar as I am finding cracks in my Serpentine Belt.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Interestingly, I did all that when I replaced the water pump the other day. It did make the whole job easier, I'm kind of glad Toyota designed it that way. Don't you wish other car makers did too?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardRich View Post
Thought these step by step instructions might be helpful to anyone planning on installing a serpentine belt on their Rav4 2004.

1) Remove the right front wheel (this makes the job much easier).
2) Remove enough of the hardware holding the splash guard in place to move it out of your way (I removed the three screws I needed to with a phillips head screwdriver, or you can use a 10mm socket and appropriate drive. I removed the two remaining push in fasteners with a small slotted screwdriver).
3) Using a long breaker bar (I used a 17” half inch drive Craftsman) and a 19mm half inch drive 6 point socket, (I used a Craftsman socket that was 1 1/2" deep) compress the tensioner (use a slow and steady pressure to achieve this compression). There’s only one 19mm bolt on the tensioner assembly, so you can’t make a mistake (I attacked it from the top side of the motor, pulling the breaker bar toward the front of the vehicle).
4) While keeping the tensioner compressed, have an assistant (in my case it was my beloved fiancée Ann) slip the belt off the small, smooth idler pulley. You will then be able to work the belt off the rest of the pulleys.
5) Install the new belt (its non directional, so you don’t have to worry about that) by wrapping around the power steering pulley first. Make sure you leave the small, smooth idler pulley for last. That’s the easiest pulley to finish the installation with.
6) After you’ve checked to see that the new belt is wrapped around all the pulleys correctly (not only the orientation, but that the belt’s grooves are mated to all the pulleys’ grooves properly), start the engine and make sure the belt turns smoothly.
7) Reinstall the splash guard, the wheel, and you’re good to go.

Just as insurance, I had a Chilton manual available to me, so that I could keep referring back to the serpentine belt installation diagram when needed.

Good luck!

Rich
My belt decided to leave my car on the dark wet evening of Friday in North Wales... Nice Mr AA Man came and rescued me by finding amongst his selection of random 7 rib belts in his van, one that fitted perfectly to cover the power steering pump, water pump and alternator so I could continue and steer, charge the lights and have cool water. Worked a treat and I drove home yesterday too. Only bypassed the aircon but that's no loss at all.
My main problem now is finding a correct part number. By a (long) process of elimination I think it's a 7PK1595 but can someone confirm this please? 1AZ-FE on a 2003, Auto box.
Also perhaps a supplier in the UK. Having watched the mechanic and held the brolly for him I'm quite happy to do the swap myself.

In the none-too-good Haynes manual it suggests changing this belt at 60,000 miles although I can't remember ever seeing/hearing warnings of drivers saying this belt (like the earlier timing belt on the 4.1) was a vital job to be done. My car has turned 65,000 miles so perhaps I was on borrowed time?

Thanks for the blow-by-blow above, it will surely assist me when I can find a new belt. I'll keep the shorter one for a spare!

Paul

2003 RAV4.2 3-dr 4WD 2-Litre Auto NRG
#5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to ronbo1313 Send a message via Yahoo to ronbo1313
Ironframe if your looking for a Toyota OEM number plug your info in this site. Catalog info if on top middle of page. http://toyotapartsoutlet.com/

That said for my 2004 used the info on the attached post and it was all good.

Last edited by ronbo1313; 10-09-2012 at 08:18 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1313 View Post
Ironframe if your looking for a Toyota OEM number plug your info in this site. Catalog info if on top middle of page. http://toyotapartsoutlet.com/

That said for my 2004 used the info on the attached post and it was all good except on my vehicle I have a 16mm bolt instead of the mentioned 19mm.
Yes that shows the wrap and 4 types of belt, however there is some confusion with two possibles that I've met before when searching online. Two part numbers come up for the Auto box (which I have) and two for the manual but there's no written distinction between them except the price.

Do I want a 1595 or a 1935? The listing isn't much help! I've sent them an email to ask. Thanks for the info anyway.

Paul

#7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM

I used eurocarparts.co.uk source a contitech belt. Enter your reg and they will list the part. If there are two listed usually one is the longer air con version. If in doubt call your local store.
The Following User Says Thank You to IanXT4 For This Useful Post:
Ironframe (10-08-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanXT4 View Post
I used eurocarparts.co.uk source a contitech belt. Enter your reg and they will list the part. If there are two listed usually one is the longer air con version. If in doubt call your local store.
Aha yes! The Aircon/Non Aircon versions. Bingo. Just got to find out which one is the longer one now - and Eurocarparts recommend one over the other (when Reg no. entered) which according to their part number also ends in 1595. I can collect from their counter tomorrow. Excellent!

Thanks,

Paul

#9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:37 AM

The above DIY to change the belt looks good, you do need a long breaker bar and very firm pressure to compress the tensioner. The manual says compress slowly or you could damage the tensioner. (take at least 3 seconds).
Unlike other belts I have changed on other cars this is definitely a two person job, someone strong needs to stay on the breaker bar while someone slips the belt on from underneath. As stated keep the smooth pulley till last. (I think this was the water pump pulley)
#10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanXT4 View Post
The above DIY to change the belt looks good, you do need a long breaker bar and very firm pressure to compress the tensioner. The manual says compress slowly or you could damage the tensioner. (take at least 3 seconds).
Unlike other belts I have changed on other cars this is definitely a two person job, someone strong needs to stay on the breaker bar while someone slips the belt on from underneath. As stated keep the smooth pulley till last. (I think this was the water pump pulley)
Yes, the list of instructions looks good having watched the AA man do his stuff. Actually I just kept the belt on the alternator whilst he looped it round the lower pulleys from below and he put his 19mm socket and long bar plus a tube on the nut and slowly pulled it towards the front of the car (in from the top) then tied a length of cord round it to the strengthening cross-bar on the front of the car and slipped the belt over everything and then the tensioner pulley. Don't forget to have the belt on the inside of the lever before you do this

Is it possible to do it all from the top without having to remove the splash skirts from behind the wheel? I know space is tight down the side there in the engine bay. Perhaps it's best to remove the wheel as well for maximum access and comfort. Mr AA did this in the dark in pouring rain and he took the skirts off but just turned the wheel outwards.

This might be a help to someone:
Serpentine Route.JPG

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page