Intermittent chugging/missing - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Intermittent chugging/missing

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum so please excuse if i've put this in the wrong section. I have recently bought a 2001 Rav4 Edge manual. I love the car but havn't been able to do much driving. It has a weird problem in that to start the car there, no problem. Then it seems that when the car is warm or when the auto choke is going off (if in deed it has that) then the car will chugg or do like a miss (loses power momentarily). Its almost as if you're going around a corner in too high of a gear and then try and pull away. The car seems to chugg but its not the wrong gear. It usually will only do it once or twice then seems to be fine for the rest of the journey. Also the other day with my husband, it went on to three cylinders / I'm too scared to drive it because i've no idea whats wrong. We've had it in with the mechanic. They pulled a code up which said there was a problem with the oxygen sensors. Two were not working at all so they have been replaced. Its had a new fuel filter (in the tank). Mechanic can't find any other codes coming up. Could it be a coil problem or maybe the ECU. Any ideas anyone. When it runs normally, its great.

Thanks
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 PM

Hi Tracy,
I think Im too getting the same problem. Same model but my car is an Auto. I too just replaced the oxygen sensors but still no luck. Yes, the codes for faulty sensors have gone away now. But still Im experiencing the miss fire.
-Kaushalye
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Skirecs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum so please excuse if i've put this in the wrong section. I have recently bought a 2001 Rav4 Edge manual. I love the car but havn't been able to do much driving. It has a weird problem in that to start the car there, no problem. Then it seems that when the car is warm or when the auto choke is going off (if in deed it has that) then the car will chugg or do like a miss (loses power momentarily). Its almost as if you're going around a corner in too high of a gear and then try and pull away. The car seems to chugg but its not the wrong gear. It usually will only do it once or twice then seems to be fine for the rest of the journey. Also the other day with my husband, it went on to three cylinders / I'm too scared to drive it because i've no idea whats wrong. We've had it in with the mechanic. They pulled a code up which said there was a problem with the oxygen sensors. Two were not working at all so they have been replaced. Its had a new fuel filter (in the tank). Mechanic can't find any other codes coming up. Could it be a coil problem or maybe the ECU. Any ideas anyone. When it runs normally, its great.

Thanks
Tracy
could be a coil that is bad leaving you with no spark

you can move them around to check which one it is
#4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 AM

I experience this problem a few times. Its like your when you are in a wrong gear (like when supposed to be in lower gear and your in a high gear) but your not. Its like you when your running in a highway and you suddenly eased up on the accelerator for a second, like missing a heartbeat. What could be causing this?

btw, RAV4 2000 gen2 model 4x4 awd.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM
ARK

Air, fuel or spark all at compression and the right time.
Since I'm not there and you are, you will be my eyes and ears and hands.
If this is too much for you then get someone with experience to help.
1- fuel do you have it all the time at the correct pressure, not a low tank, filter OK
2-Air- Is the air filter to the engine clean, not blocked, conduits clear, if you have idle air control is it plugged, PCV, EGR clear clean and not blocked.
3-Spark plugs all good, coil(s) wire HT leads connection all good
4-Do a compression check in all cylinders when hot with WOT, wide open throttle, it must all be within spec
5-Do a static timing check then a dynamic test to see if timing advances.

With all these done you can narrow down what's wrong, without it and since I am comfortable in my office I cannot touch your car, help me help you!
#6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:19 PM

I have exactly the same problem but it is with my 03 2ltr diesel, I did read some where there was a recall on some models ranging from 01-03 models some thing about a engine management light and the ECM but I am not sure what it is all about.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 AM

i get my car back today from the garage , hopefully it will be fixed, they said the chugging came up as a mass air flow error, so they have changed the maf sensor and cables and hopefully it will have fixed it.

i will keep you posted
#8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Hi folks

I rarely post on this site ( more on Toyota owners club ),but have been suffering from same symptems for last few months.

But......

Had a heads up from a TOC member about this M A F sensor,removed it ( easy) sprayed all the tiny sensor wires with "crc mass airflow sensor cleaner" for several seconds.

Just don't ' touch ' any of the sensors or wires whilst you spray through the straw from the can,as they are very very brittle ,sensitive.

Don't be scared of the stuff,i almost drowned mine,then left to air dry in the sun for an hour !.(it must be bone dry before you re fit it).

Since i did this 2 days ago,no more hesitation / hiccups / misfires....pulls like train again.

Whole job took me under an hour......2 screws,unplug wiring harness,spray it...done.

Rav4 2002 D4D ,110'000 miles

ONE LIFE.....LIVE IT!!!!
the great outdoors & rav4's!!
#9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 PM

Turns Out I had a defective turbocharger, now it runs perfectly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page