Toyota RAV4 Forums

Toyota RAV4 Forums (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/)
-   4.2 Faults & Fixes (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/88-4-2-faults-fixes/)
-   -   Vibration/Rattle from underneath (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/88-4-2-faults-fixes/87607-vibration-rattle-underneath.html)

bojarta 02-16-2013 05:27 PM

2007 Rav4 defective Torque Converter

Hello All, I too have the same problem. Glad I could find out the resolve on this forum. I bought my 2007 Rav4 from Toyota Direct in Cols. OH just 2 days ago. I noticed the noise but just assumed it was road noise, as my 4runner never allowed road noise. Apparently the Tundra has the same problems [www.tundrasolutions.com] which is where I saw the noise symptoms on my RAV4 word for word...."stop the vibration by eiither letting up on the gas petal or slowly increase speed........shakes like driving across railroad rtracks....or like the grooves cut into the road....38-42mph...." I pray the dealership will rectify the situation. I will definetley advise the outcome on this forum. A reputable Toyota Dealer should stand behind the customer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrionOne (Post 893615)
I own a 2007 4cl. 4WD rav4.

This problem started out of nowhere about 3 months ago and has steadily become worse.

Whenever i'm travelling about 40 mph and 1500 rpm, there is a pretty bad rattle noise which is accompanied by a vibration. The vibration can hold for as long as 1-2 seconds, but does come and go. As soon as the vibration starts, you can let off the gas or step on the gas to change the RPMs and it instantly stops. This vibration can be felt in the seats and the steering wheel. Over the past few months the vibration has moved to a wider range of 1400-1600 RPM and 40 - 45 mph. Note that this is NOT a drone noise or normal sound. It almost feels like something is loose and the harmonic frequency of 40 mph and 1500 RPM is causing it to shake violently. I'm not sure if it's merely something hardware related or if it's something in the engine itself.

When I sit idle and hold in that RPM range, there is no sound at all - the engine sounds fine. One shop had it up on a lift, did the same thing and did not get any odd noises.

So far the sway bar links have been replaced, the exhaust heat shield has been checked & tightened, but these have not solved the problem. This has been looked at 3 times by two different shops and both are at a complete loss as to what is causing the noise, even though they heard and felt it themselves while test driving.

Will be taking it in to the dealer soon, but I am at wits end to what is causing this! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by elk (Post 913984)
I just had my 2007 rav4 diagnosed with a failing tork converter. My symptoms were similiar to your car. I have relentlessly chased toyota to find this for months. I had extended warranty as well, to cover this 4500 cost. Good luck, hope your covered.

mnguy 03-10-2013 03:05 PM

I have a 2007 Rav4 with 38,000 miles (mostly freeway). At 40 mph while driving up a slight incline and letting up on gas pedal, the rpms drop from 2000 to 1500 and car will vibrate and a growling/vibration noise can be heard. Spent $250 at Toyota dealer to look at problem. They determined that it was a failing transmission. They said a new one is $4000. I am out of warranty because the age of the car. This should never happen on any car at 38,ooo miles. I'm curious if anyone else has similar problem.

bojarta 03-11-2013 06:34 PM

Toyota Direct in Cols, OH has advised me that the Toyota FTS has diagnosed my Rav4 and concurs the problem is in the Transmission. Further advising the General Mngr had authorized a replacement transmission and the part has been ordered. Praise God!! And praise Toyota Direct of Cols.,OH for the due diligence of the Service Mngr and the ethics and integrity of the their General Mngr, for their unprecedented commitment to customer service. I don't believe you could find a car dealership anywhere in Cols.,OH that would do the same. I would assume, especially with American car dealerships, one would have to go to court to achieve the same results.
With that being said, MNGUY, I urge you to escalate your situation with Toyota Corporate. Obviously there is a Rav4 problem with the RAV4 transmission. There are way too many complaints on the internet with the exact same symptoms. If corporate doesn't hear about the complaints, there will never be a recall.

Paladin 06-10-2013 01:15 PM

Gurgle/vibration/percolating

I also had the prblem with a percolating sound from under my 2009 Rav4 Sport with 190,000 miles. At various times the sound could come from the front, middle or back of my RAV4. It started about three months ago with the noise first appearing about 40 MPH and 1500 to 2000 RPM. As time went on the window expanded to 30 to 45 MPH at the same RPM. The solution was simple: I took the car in to have the automatic transmission fluid flused and replaced. The old fluid was black while the new was nice and pink. This was 4 days ago and since that time the percolating/gurgling/vibration sound disappeared.:p

mnguy 06-10-2013 05:23 PM

Paladin,
I had the transmission fluid changed at 30,000 miles. It started to fail at 37,000 miles. Two different Toyota dealers determined that I needed a new transmission. I am the original owner and meticulously care for my cars. This car has always been driven by my daughter, so it was never driven hard. The cost for a new transmission on this cost $5700.
My dealer worked with me on this, since this was an unbelievable situation! I was out of warranty because I owned the car for 6 1/2 years. We agreed that I would pay for the labor and they would pay the rest. In the end, my cost was $2300. I was very pleased with the outcome, despite the fact that this should never have happened with a Toyota. Good luck. MNGUY

Paladin 06-18-2013 04:28 PM

MnGuy

It is now one week since I changed the transmission fluid. My 'friend' is back. I may have to bite the bullet and get a new transmission. Is anyone aware of any T-SB's dealing with this problem? After reading all of the posts I am mostly convinced that I will have to spend some real dollars; but it would be helpful if Toyota had a T-SB that addressed this issue. Some other web sites also had posts about a tranny replacement; they replaced it to find that the noise, their 'friend', was also back.

quicksilvr 07-05-2013 04:59 PM

The vibration/rattle I had underneathe my 2001 was simply from a rusted heat shield. At certain rpm, that thing would vibrate VERY badly. I simply cut the offending heat shield off, and haven't looked back.

xgfan 09-03-2013 06:18 PM

same problem with my 2007 RAV4 (87K miles)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnguy (Post 1027169)
I have a 2007 Rav4 with 38,000 miles (mostly freeway). At 40 mph while driving up a slight incline and letting up on gas pedal, the rpms drop from 2000 to 1500 and car will vibrate and a growling/vibration noise can be heard. Spent $250 at Toyota dealer to look at problem. They determined that it was a failing transmission. They said a new one is $4000. I am out of warranty because the age of the car. This should never happen on any car at 38,ooo miles. I'm curious if anyone else has similar problem.

My six-year warranty expired last Sept, before which I spent ~$500 with the dealer to do a thorough check. From two months ago, the shuddering vibration appears (same as many of you described) when accelerating at around 40 mph. Below or over that speed, there is no vibration.

Went to dealer today, they suggest me to either do three times transmission fluid change (~$500) or replace transmission (~$4500). Horrified, nothing done, returned home.

It seems this is a common problem with RAV4. How could we get Toyota's attention on this problem. Changing transmission is a big burden on many car owners I believe, especially when it is a defect of design or manufacturing. Many other cars never have transmission problems even after 150K miles. Toyota corporate have to fix this problem.

Any ideas of how to deal with it?
xgfan

edmondsona 09-04-2013 09:51 AM

I have a 06 Rav4 and I am having the exact same issue you guys are describing. My truck is at a AAMCO right now having the transmission rebuilt. I only have 79K on my truck. I am past my warranty. AAMCO quoted me $1897 plus parts to rebuild the transmission. Is there anything we can do to get Toyota in on this?

edmondsona 09-04-2013 10:57 AM

Called Toyota

I just got off the phone with Toyota and opened a case with them. From my understanding if we get enough people to call in and open a case for the transmission we might get some help with this. Call 800-331-4331 and follow the directions to open a case with Toyota.