FIX YOUR ECU YOURSELF...FOR FREE - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
FIX YOUR ECU YOURSELF...FOR FREE

Well in case you didn't see my little post in that 20 page thread, I have a video posted which describes how to fix your rav4 ecu yourself. It takes about fifteen minutes and all you need to do is re-solder some resistors. I have verified that this is the problem, and that this is the proper fix to it. In the video description there are links to two still pics which highlight the resistors that need soldering.

Please leave comments about your successful repair so that others will know that the fix is genuine. Thanks-Jake

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mangofever For This Useful Post:
brucecb12 (07-03-2015), cutthroat22 (12-02-2014), Thunder-Bolt (10-10-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,390 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Thank you, Jake, this is very helpful. I went ahead and added your pictures to the posts.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
brucecb12 (07-03-2015)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you for such valuable info. I found the video and I was following it. I am an electronics tech but had to have my ecm repaired as I couldn't find the problem. My cousin have the same car with the same problem (only that hers is 2003) and seeing the video, I tried it without success.

I guess that it is not the same in all cases, as it improved a little, but the problem is still there and the tranny was replaced already a month ago. Anyway, I opened up my repaired ecm to confirm and those resistors did not look like it was resoldered.

I will still try it in another ecm of one of my friends. He bought his car at the same time I bought mine, but his is showing the problem now. I will post any follow up.

regards

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 PM

Just bought 2001 RAV4 135k miles for father in law. On the original un-updated ECM but no problems with transmission. The car will be out of state from me and away from my close watch. So I thought I do all preventive work on it including this ECM.

Had Toyota update the software per 60I campaign. Now having an electronic tech at work to touch up these solder joints. He provided some interesting info I thougth I share

1. When I told him about the resistor solder joints. He immediately concluded the bigger resistor's higher inertia in a car that is bouncing around might be the cause.

2. He said these circuit boards use lead free solder which becomes brittle. He used leaded solder for touch up. He said leaded solder responds much better to shaking. Using his words "it behaves like its melting"
The Following User Says Thank You to howardc64 For This Useful Post:
Thunder-Bolt (10-10-2013)
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
Just bought 2001 RAV4 135k miles for father in law. On the original un-updated ECM but no problems with transmission. The car will be out of state from me and away from my close watch. So I thought I do all preventive work on it including this ECM.

Had Toyota update the software per 60I campaign. Now having an electronic tech at work to touch up these solder joints. He provided some interesting info I thougth I share

1. When I told him about the resistor solder joints. He immediately concluded the bigger resistor's higher inertia in a car that is bouncing around might be the cause.

2. He said these circuit boards use lead free solder which becomes brittle. He used leaded solder for touch up. He said leaded solder responds much better to shaking. Using his words "it behaves like its melting"
That's interesting. The day mine failed I was coming back after a lot of driving on crummy forest roads and doing a lot of bouncing and shaking.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:

wrong conclusion IMO

SMD solder joints often fail if there is a CTE (coefficient of thermal expasion) mismatch between the part (resistor) and the bare pcb

the problem is more likely to also occur on a physically large resistor, the problem is well known with large ceramic smd resistors because of the CTE mismatch to the epoxy glass based pcb

but those do not look like ceramic resistors, which are more square shaped and thinner, nether-the-less it does appear that it may be a solder joint problem, the years in question were the early years of lead free solder and that could very well be the problem.

Mine is a 2003, but as I am in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it school, I won't be touching mine until it needs it
The Following User Says Thank You to MNRAV4 For This Useful Post:
pico (03-06-2015)
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRAV4 View Post
Mine is a 2003, but as I am in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it school, I won't be touching mine until it needs it

I don't know what to do.

My car drives beautifully but it does jerk some when changing gears while not moving. Like if I go in reverse or back into drive. Not bad , but
it's a jerk for sure.

I feel like I should get it done but hate the idea of messing with something if it's running great.

Then I think it might be too late if I keep driving the Rav causing more damage and then I might need things replaced and that costs money.

Plus these services for the rav on ebay and the guy here in NYC just trade your ECM out and they put in their repaired ECM. I don't like that idea. I rather have my original ECM in my car.

Oh what to do !

PS: Plus the Toyota website says my car is one of them and that I should bring it in to get serviced. Doesn't say if it's free of cost being I missed the 10 year mark and not sure if I still can do it free of cost being I'm under the 150,000 mark.

Been a Member since 2001 but forgot my Username and password.

Rav4 2002 (L) - Frosted Pearl White
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder-Bolt View Post
I don't know what to do.

My car drives beautifully but it does jerk some when changing gears while not moving. Like if I go in reverse or back into drive. Not bad , but
it's a jerk for sure.

I feel like I should get it done but hate the idea of messing with something if it's running great.

Then I think it might be too late if I keep driving the Rav causing more damage and then I might need things replaced and that costs money.

Plus these services for the rav on ebay and the guy here in NYC just trade your ECM out and they put in their repaired ECM. I don't like that idea. I rather have my original ECM in my car.

Oh what to do !

PS: Plus the Toyota website says my car is one of them and that I should bring it in to get serviced. Doesn't say if it's free of cost being I missed the 10 year mark and not sure if I still can do it free of cost being I'm under the 150,000 mark.
Soldering repair on this thing is pretty trivial, experienced ebay service vendors is not going to mess up the old ECM. ECM removal is also pretty easy. I did it just as a preventive measure since not my car.

Get yours done for $100 or so and see if the problem is still there. Seem like good preventive medicine against the cost of a transmission replacement.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Soldering repair on this thing is pretty trivial, experienced ebay service vendors is not going to mess up the old ECM. ECM removal is also pretty easy. I did it just as a preventive measure since not my car.

Get yours done for $100 or so and see if the problem is still there. Seem like good preventive medicine against the cost of a transmission replacement.

Ebay service vendors state..you pay..they send you a repaired ecm (not yours) ..then you have to send your old one back to them. If you don't send back the old one they will charge you for not sending it back. So you don't get the credit back/returned.

Think I'll make some calls ..I rather they fix my ECM then use another one that has been fixed.

PLus some say it's a re-programmed ECM and no mention of any soldering.

Very confusing.

Been a Member since 2001 but forgot my Username and password.

Rav4 2002 (L) - Frosted Pearl White
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder-Bolt View Post
Ebay service vendors state..you pay..they send you a repaired ecm (not yours) ..then you have to send your old one back to them. If you don't send back the old one they will charge you for not sending it back. So you don't get the credit back/returned.

Think I'll make some calls ..I rather they fix my ECM then use another one that has been fixed.

PLus some say it's a re-programmed ECM and no mention of any soldering.

Very confusing.
google "rav4 ECM repair"

A bunch of links that will service your ECM rather than swap modules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page