Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2002 won't start

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  This Old Spouse 
#1 ·
Yesterday my husband was going to move my 2002 RAV, but when he tried to start it, all he got was a very rapid clicking, all idiot lights came on, but it wouldn't turn over. He attached a battery charger and it showed 51% charged.

As far as I know there's no aftermarket accessories that could be draining the battery (which was just replaced at the dealer in May). At least it was in the driveway and we could push it into the garage. But now what? Any ideas?

#4 · (Edited)
Start by getting a battery charger and an extension cord.

Do you have a friend with an electrical meter that can measure the current draw? Or better yet, do you have a friend, with an electrical meter, that can measure the current draw? Current draw would normally be under 50 milliamps (0.050 amps). Your idea of a parasitic load is a good one. If you have excess draw, pull fuses until you find the problem circuit.

Batteries can fail after 6 months. They normally have a warranty.

#6 ·
I had thought the car had started after you had the battery charged. That would have pointed to a weak battery problem. The car did not start after charging?

A clicking starter is typical for weak battery or a bad connection. Measuring the battery voltage while cranking would be informative. If the battery voltage is not dropping below 10 volts while cranking, then the problem could be a connection or it could be the starter solenoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.