replacing Unpainted Plastic Cladding - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
replacing Unpainted Plastic Cladding

Hey guys,

My mom dented her RH rear bumper cover on her '01 RAV4 with unpainted plastic cladding.

I ordered this from rock auto - but I am wondering...Will it match, or is the unpainted cladding actualy...painted?!



Any thoughts on if this is going to match or not?
amorak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
03rav4inPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Posts: 717
Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Its just primered and will need paint to match unfortunately.

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
03rav4inPA is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 03rav4inPA For This Useful Post:
amorak (12-09-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks - darn...

I believe, based on the Paint TSB, that I need Toyota paint Code 196/Pewter Metallic (cladding). Anyone know where I can buy a rattle-can of it?
amorak is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 46
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak View Post
Thanks - darn...

I believe, based on the Paint TSB, that I need Toyota paint Code 196/Pewter Metallic (cladding). Anyone know where I can buy a rattle-can of it?
I'd like to hear what color it is when you get it, and if it matches the rest of the gray plastic panels on your car. I didn't think there was any paint on the flat gray panels and bumpers like yours and mine.
Keninblaine is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
03rav4inPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Posts: 717
Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keninblaine View Post
I'd like to hear what color it is when you get it, and if it matches the rest of the gray plastic panels on your car. I didn't think there was any paint on the flat gray panels and bumpers like yours and mine.
When my fender bender occurred earlier this year, all of the silver paint came off in big chunks. It was definitely not part of the original cladding.

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
03rav4inPA is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 46
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rav4inPA View Post
When my fender bender occurred earlier this year, all of the silver paint came off in big chunks. It was definitely not part of the original cladding.
Understood, but you apparently have painted cladding. Some of us with the early base models have cladding that is not painted. It is just a dull matte gray color that doesn't weather well over the years. My attempts to improve the look with Back to Black and Armorall wax, while appearing to work initially, end up still looking weathered again.
Keninblaine is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
03rav4inPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Posts: 717
Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keninblaine View Post
Understood, but you apparently have painted cladding. Some of us with the early base models have cladding that is not painted. It is just a dull matte gray color that doesn't weather well over the years. My attempts to improve the look with Back to Black and Armorall wax, while appearing to work initially, end up still looking weathered again.

That's interesting, I'm wondering why Toyota would do that?

Does your cladding have an unpainted crinkle to it? (My mind thinks of vehicles like the Chevy Avalance where it's covered in that kinda stuff) Like rubbermaid technology

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
03rav4inPA is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 46
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rav4inPA View Post
That's interesting, I'm wondering why Toyota would do that?

Does your cladding have an unpainted crinkle to it? (My mind thinks of vehicles like the Chevy Avalance where it's covered in that kinda stuff) Like rubbermaid technology
Yes, kind of like the lower body of early Honda Elements before they finally started painting them the body color.
Keninblaine is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
%*&*(

It arrived and it's black. The paint guide for 2001's show that it is painted Pewter Metallic (196 color code). I struggle with that, as it appears to simply be unpainted plastic.....


Any ideas on what to do with a black bumper?!?!?!
amorak is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Here is what showed up:



and here is what I need it to look like (see bottom right bumper - "unpainted' plastic looking):

amorak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome