Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Throttle Body replacement

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  shaka 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 rav4, with 60k miles on it. Service it regularly. 6 months ago had a transmission flush done. Never had any problems with the car.

I live in Boston and last night was really cold (16F) and I park the car on the street. When I started it this morning, I noticed two warning lights turning on: VSC-Trac and Check-Engine (I drove the car the day before and it was fine). So I turned the car off and back on hoping the lights would turn off but they didn't. I waited 2 minutes, then shifted the gear from P to D (automatic transmission) and the car jumped slightly as I shifted (as if I did not properly shift). Then as I tried to accelerate, I felt as if the wheels are stock. Since the street has a bit of decline I was able to drive slowly a bit but I was not able to accelerate. I pulled over and let the engine run idle (in P mode) for 5 minutes and then suddenly the engine started to make a roudy noise so I turned it off. Called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. I turned the car again to see if I can drive it or need to tow. When I turned it back on, the two warning lights were still on but I was able to drive normally and accelerate (at this point the car was obviously warmer than when I originally started it).

The dealer has found code 2102 and told me that I have a throttlebody actuator malfunction and that I will need a new throttlebody (labor+parts=$1400)

My question: 1) Could my problem be due to the cold weather? 2) Could the problem be related to transmission? 3) Can they clean the throttlebody instead? 4) Could this have anything to do with the car needing a feul induction/cleaning?

The car is completely fine now but I don't know what to do!!

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
First I would suggest you try and find a friendly independent garage for future problems. Dealers often throw new parts at problems till its fixed (at your expense).

I doubt if the fault code is any way related to the transmission.

P2102 is “Throttle actuator control motor circuit low” this could be a fault in the throttle body it could also be a poor connector or wiring.

It would be prudent to clean the throttle body, I did mine at 50,000 miles and there was significant carbon build up.As throttle bodies get older they get gummed up with carbon, combine this with damp and cold weather and things stick !!

Cleaning the throttle body should be reasonably cheap at an independent garage.
(Say maybe an hours labour ?)

Alternatively don’t rule out buying second hand parts for older cars, obviously a dealer would not want to fit it !!

If you know the part number of the throttle body ebay is a good source of cheap used spares.

See (example - not sure if this is the right part)
04 05 06 Toyota Camry Throttle Body 4 Cyl | eBay

#3 ·
I was wondering if you found the remedy to your problem. I'm experiencing a similar idling problem but with a fluctuating 400-800 rpm.

Upon taking it to the shop, the mechanic says that cleaning the throttle body or idle air control (IAC) may cause other issues because the 2005+ models have electronic controlled valves which could get contaminated by cleaning agents thus causing more problems.

I'm tempted to DIY the cleaning but worried about the potential downside. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.