Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

brake caliper

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Skirecs 
#1 ·
hi
i was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to un seize the sliders on the front and rear calipers on my 2.0l vvti
i have tried to replace the pads on the front and rear but can not get the bolts undone

#2 ·
Give me details as to the condition of the rubbers, sliders, calipers.
If bad you will have to spray the complete brake assembly with rust remover free up everything, dismantle, clean, replace, repair and reassemble. You may not be able to save the pads, but replace them. Depending on the rotor condition they may need a cleaning, a squaring up and then packing the bearings.

The worse the brakes the more work for you including bearings, steering etc.

Let me know how bad

#3 ·
From memory you need a standard length 1/2 socket wrench and give each bolt a good sudden thump with one hand while holding it on with the other. You need to shock them loose without breaking anything.
Also I think you need a long metric ring spanner on the rear bolts as access is limited.
Loads of good DIYs on the European site however there may be slight spec differences
Technical Information/hints & Tips - Rav 4 Club - Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum

#4 ·
My sliders were seized as well. Take off the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket sliders. Then I used an impact to lightly hit the sliders clockwise, then anti-clockwise while adding a little penetrating fluid. 3 of them worked free, 1 sheared off, so I needed a new bracket anyway.

Lube them back up and and put it back together with new pads and resurfaced rotors

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.