RAV4 FUEL CONSUMPTION - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 Faults & Fixes Got a problem with your RAV4.2?
Share it here, and maybe even find a solution.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAV4 FUEL CONSUMPTION

My Toyota Rav4 2002 consumes twice the average consumption of fuel. please what is the possible course of this high fuel consumption
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 AM

Start by checking your air filter is not blocked
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 AM
zoo

check you air filter and buy a bottle of chevrons fuel system cleaner. i swear by this stuff

Im buff
#4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscale View Post
My Toyota Rav4 2002 consumes twice the average consumption of fuel. please what is the possible cause of this high fuel consumption
Due to a forthcoming house move I will have to commute 45 miles to the town I work twice a day. To overcome the awful RAV consumption I'm getting a Fiat Fiorino van (diesel auto) and will keep my NRG for winter just taxing it for the 6 months bad weather.

When reading the adverts for a lot of the current available cars (mostly 4x4 I'm interested in), it seems EVERYTHING is streets ahead of the RAV in consumption. Has this leap forward really only happened in the past 4-5 years or is the RAV just very badly designed despite claiming the VVT-i is good etc. Last tankful I was getting just 21.3 mpg. It's ridiculous. On a run (of near 300 miles) it goes up to 33mpg not exceeding 70mph but around town between 21 and 25mpg.
I spoke to one of my customers who has an Audi A4 2.7-litre - he's getting 47mpg. The Audi 3-litre does far better than the RAV!!

Paul

2003 RAV4.2 3-dr 4WD 2-Litre Auto NRG
#5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 AM

I second that, the fuel consumption of my 2002 is absolutely horrible, I only get about 300-350KM per tank in the city and not much better outside of it. Seriously considering getting rid of the car if I cannot find a solution. The air filter is new!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZRAV4 View Post
I second that, the fuel consumption of my 2002 is absolutely horrible, I only get about 300-350KM per tank in the city and not much better outside of it. Seriously considering getting rid of the car if I cannot find a solution. The air filter is new!
how fast do you drive? how much do you accelerate? i usually drive 70-80mph and i noticed that my mileage drops horribly going that speed. the MPG for cars is calculated going normal speed (~55mph) and going any faster really kills mileage unfortunately..

2005 Rav4 L
Current Mods: Scion Pioneer T1808, 35W 5000K HID's, Fiamm Horns, K&N Typhoon Air Intake
Future Mods: Custom Heat Shield for Typhoon
#7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methix View Post
how fast do you drive? how much do you accelerate? i usually drive 70-80mph and i noticed that my mileage drops horribly going that speed. the MPG for cars is calculated going normal speed (~55mph) and going any faster really kills mileage unfortunately..
I remember reading ages ago that once you're over 60mph the mpg really drops off..
I don't wish to drive like a granny but I do now tend to stick to around 65mph and you're with a different set of drivers - no mad-eyes breathing down (or up) your exhaust - and you get there just the same, less frazzled and with more fuel left over too.
I'm really aware of the accelerator pedal feel now so I only give the car enough to make it go (at the local speed limit) and no foot down hard to shoot off anywhere - in town there's little point as there's either a queue or traffic lights in 50 yds anyway. That does help a bit.

When on the motorway I usually take my shoes off and drive in just socks and that trains you very well to feel where the point between power on and off is - it translates to town driving and is a good education for your right foot.

Calculated and quoted mpg is done on a rolling road at a constant speed in artificial conditions so although the claim is genuine for the mpg it doesn't relate to the real world and driving situations.

There's no getting away from the fact that the RAV is inefficient though

Paul

2003 RAV4.2 3-dr 4WD 2-Litre Auto NRG
#8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methix View Post
I drive very mildly, no jerky stop/starts either, cannot really explain it, and this with a 2.0L engine? I wish I can convert to LPG, whenever that becomes available in this country. With gas prices going up the way they are, that would be the only feasible way for me to keep this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page