Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RaVGT4..need help in conversion 3sfe to 3sgte...

11K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  bongbong10 
#1 ·
Hye to all Ravvers.

now doing conversion and fount out that left side driveshaft inner side to gearbox (rav4 and st205) is totally different..anyone can help me sort this out?...

in conversion mine is auto and going to be manual, need help in pictures where the location the clutch pump placing in engine bay and inside of the car, really need help...

pictures will be much help for me,...reallly need helppp i notice andrewRAvGT4 and bothwell_buyers done their 3sgte swap...mind help me?...hard to contact them,

heres my email ahben07@hotmail.com

hope anyone can help me in this...really banging the wall already....

#2 ·
bongbong10, you can first star off by posting pictures of your situation. Many RAV4 owners here are mechanics and can advice you on parts and most important, what you will need. So, Post some pictures to see what you got.

Better yet, if you have access to a video camera, post it on you tube and then we really will have an idea. While you are at it check with:

http://www.gruporav4.com/ in PHILIPPINES

http://www.rav4expedition.com/home/ in SINGAPORE which is in Malaysia.

#3 ·
OIC...OKOK...i get the pictures tomorrow...i know andrew did the conversion st205 to rav4...wish can see his pic during conversion on driveshaft...

and how to modify it...really headache coz the st205 driveshaft both side are longer 1 inch than rav4..

if using rav4 driveshaft,
driver side exact same size cv inner and outer but shorter than st205
passenger side inner cv is not the same and also shorter than st205..

rav4 inner cv is using 3 big bearing type and st205 is using rollcage bearing 6 pieces type.. and shaft is 2 different size so cant swap things over..

wonder if adviseable to cut and weld the driveshaft??

tq for quick respone mensajero....

#5 ·
oic.. thanks for telling me....

i do some research and some people say that celica gt4 have LSD and mine rav4 3SFE don have LSD and only few 3SGE got LSD..correct me if i wrong..now im searching 3SGE driveshaft hopefully correct for me.

i will upload pictures here for u all to see and guide me..

#6 ·
Heres my car details...hopes anyone that same specs as mine can share in conversion..

RAV4: Engine:3SFE 2.0 L
Chasis: E-SXA10G
Tran/Axle: A540H -02A AUTO GEARBOX
Plant/Axle: A23

Celica: Engine: 3sgte 2.0 L (GT4)
Chasis: E-ST205-6
Trans/Axle : E154F -06E MANUAL GEARBOX
Plant/Axle: -54

Inner CV RAV4 spline got 23 gears( connect to gearbox)
Inner CV GT4 splines got 25 gears ( connect to gearbox)

Outers both are same gears and length..

heres the link to my pics..

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=244665&id=598870059&saved

feel free to see.. tqtq..

#8 ·
yup...lucky for me today..as cant find any resource in net and i go junk yard..ask the guy got the same size of cv and driveshaft but shorter??

he go find and PHOOfffff got 1 thats is short 1 inch than st205...then i go back my place and try it...fit perfectly and now can relax my shoulder a bit..front end suspension is consider done...only now doing clutch,radiator tank,intercooler, wiring to the RAV...

the fuel tank will change to walbro 255lph fuel pump, and rear axle i left it stock 1st and is going to be next story.anyone know or did convert before?coz from what i see the the knuckle can mod into rav4 and mod the caliper holder..only dont know the driveshaft of the rav4 and celica are the same or not...:)

for info..i swap over the ST205 front brake caliper and rotor and knuckle...the knuckle hold the 5 studs pcd 100 interchange with the rav4 and tap the knuckle assembly for bolt on the caliper..i will upload 2moro the pic..

:) getting excited get the car on the road..RAVGT FTW...:)

#10 ·
its not dumb...we share share info..thats rav4world for..:)

nope,i'll using pcd 100 5 studs knucle and rotor as well from st205. the flange 5 studs inner diameter for wheel bearing are same with celica st205 but only different is pcd. i can use the pcd 114 but need finds supra disc rotor or others from toyota cars that fits but since i got the front brake from st205 front clip, i use it..:)

my rav4 disc rotor is tooo skinn to use already....sad sad sad

#11 ·
:!: The ravs rear diff might have a different gear ratio from the front diff (st205 box) can list the year of st205 the manual box came out of.

Another thing you should do before you get into boost, is to look at adding extra bracing/re-enforcing the rear diff mounts as it will not be able to handle the extra torque produced by the 3sgte.

#15 ·
just consider im lucky..got myself a set of rear rav4 disc brake axle from junkyard, been searching for months and very rare to have in my place..i believe its from rav4 3sge engine..

mind anyone know or own before rav4 rear disc brake type, i wanna know is equip with lsd or not? thankx..

#16 ·
good to see another turbo rav being built
how i solved the diff support issue was buy a new rear diff mount and fill up the whole mount with sika flex like a silicone let it set for a good 2-3 days and i never had a issue again with diff banging through the gears

as for the brakes im in the process of putting bigger brakes on my rav ill be using supra twin turbo discs 323 x 30 and either nissan skyline gtr brembo calipers (324mm) or mitsubishi ev0 7-9 brembo calipers (325 mm)as they are the closest to being the same size as the supra discs with a custom bracket
you will also need a bigger master cylinder and the one for the job is out of either a skyline with abs bm50 cast on the side of the master sylinder or i was told a nissan 200sx or 240sx ther are called in the usa

#17 ·
hye again to all ravers, i completed the engine swap and the car run on the road already, but have some few problem on the way,

1. speedo meter doesn work
2. when driving 1st gear to 2nd and rest gear with boost, run perfectly no CEL but when 3rd gear running and start to pull( boost come in), 4th and 5th gear, the CEL come out,

other than that, the car run smoothly,rpm idle at 1000rpm,quite happy with it.:)

my car specs,

engine: power kevlar II timing belt, works adjustable pulley, tomei AFR, BLITZ blowoffvalve,2.5' intercooler piping include intake pipe, apexi air filter, works oil cooler, walbro 255lph fuel pump, custom fuel line to AFR, original celica gearbox cooler,

gearbox: celica st205 gearbox, shifter cable, shifter manual lever, 3sfe manual gas,brake and clutch pedal, ae92 clutch pump, toms lightweight flywheel, stock clutch for now, slave use the celica st205, rear differential still rav4 bcoz mounting position of the rav 4 and celica st205 are different, need make new bracket for it and mounting,the original long propeller shaft are rav4, forgot to mention, when convert to st205 gearbox, u need st205 mounting bracket at the st205 clip to put into rav4, the rest use back rav4 mounting,the driveshaft 1 side rav4 and otherside use mr2 driveshaft( best if can find new rav4 aca21 engine driveshaft and mod the outer shaft bit thats a perfect match, the mr2 is can use but need shorter 1/2 inch freeplay)

brake: front 4 pot, rear 1 pot rav4 ,front 4 pot need to mod the caliper hole little bit and the bracket at the knuckle( make thread for the screw to lock it), dot3 brake fluid, brake pump and booster st205,bodyvalve also from st205 bcoz original my rav4 have abs but st205 don have abs, wanted to use abs but ecu don have for abs, anyone mod before for the 3sgte no abs into rav4 with abs( wiring)??, and for front brake 4 pot, i use the 5 stud knuckle from st205( it was same size bearing with rav4),use 1 inch convert knuckle bolt from 100 to 114.3x 1.25.

wheel: work vs 18x 8.5jj

this conversion take a longer time due to many problems, as family problems, my friend mech( coz i don have the experience in welding and body parts for the gearbox mounting )and wiring i get a friend for it bcoz i also don have experience in wiring)

total time swap for me with problem i had. 9 month of swap until running and rego,
money spend i not sure but surely more than rm15000 ( in malaysia currency)

the picture i will upload later coz too many pictures, anything can ask in the swap as for now i need help in CEL issue, i have tricked the ecu the water coolant level sensor with tape the sensor level up high and issue with the coolant pump as i don use the coolant, i use FMIC, the coolant radiator broken and no place to mount it due to rav4 fit engine bay, my mech have trick somehow the ecu that there is coolant pump,...

main problem is anyway to trick the code 54 for coolant pump? and when driving on the road, 3rd gear to 5 gear boost come out CEL but 1st to 5th sometime come out CEL but sometimes doesn't come out, the code CEL haven check it yet but want to ask anyone had encounter this problem before?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.