Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

One rear seat won't fold forward.

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RedRav4 
#1 ·
1997 4-door the seatback folds down but when I pull the lever to fold it forward it won't unlatch. The other seat works fine. How can I get it to go down?

#2 ·
The cord to pull the lever up might have snapped or came off.
Maybe a local dealer might have a solution to get to that, because it isn't easy to replace or pry it open another way.
Greetz

Pim

#5 ·
Atikovi
Fold the good seat forward, note how the latch retracts into the seat, now look at the latch bar on the floor held down by 2 14mm bolts. It is these 2 bolts that you are going to have to remove under the bad seat. Take a long kitchen knife, slide under the seat and split the carpet STRAIGHT forward in front of the bar. (see other side for guide) with the carpet split, pull carpet back from under seat. There is a little velcro on it but it will come back. Use a 14mm open end wrench and remove these 2 bolts. Push seat 1/2 way forward, (it won't go any farther because the bar it now keeping it from retracting, that's why I had you note the good side earlier) Use a 14mm socket and rachet to remove the 2 exposed bolts holding down the front (4 total) there are 2 more under the front edge. Open side door and kneel down to get the last 2 14mm bolts. The seat is now FREE. Lift and remove seat. If the cable is broke, remove pan to access. Mine was simply rusted, and I used WD-40 on it and got it working again. Repair carpet with carpet tape, preferred or duct tape from back side, reassemble and enjoy. I know this is 8 months late, but I did this today. Regards Redrav4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.