Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Creaking Sound

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AWD2015 
#1 ·
Hi,

I own a 2010 Toyota Rav4.
In last couple of weeks i hear a creaking sound underneath the rear of my SUV.
As i drive very slowly the creaking sound appears but when driving a normal speeds there is no creaking sound.
Just curious if i need some kind of oil spray to get rid of this annoying sound.

Thanks.

:frown

#2 ·
Hi,

I own a 2010 Toyota Rav4.
In last couple of weeks i hear a creaking sound underneath the rear of my SUV.
As i drive very slowly the creaking sound appears but when driving a normal speeds there is no creaking sound.
Just curious if i need some kind of oil spray to get rid of this annoying sound.
Thanks.

:frown
I also own a 2010 RAV4. There are recalls upon recalls for loose tie rod sleeves in the rear. Toyota eventually decided to replace the whole rod and epoxy the nuts in place once the alignment angles are set. It seems there are three separate things to tighten when doing an alignment, and unless they are torqued in the correct sequence, the sleeve can come loose and make for some wet upholstery.

I don't recommend lubricating anything back there. You need to crawl under the vehicle and have someone push up and down on the back end while you find the noise. The best way is to feel each component while it is moving. If a rubber bushing is the culprit, a shot with penetrating oil will make it quiet for a while, but the noise will be back, and worse. Something is dry, and is hollering for attention.

Reactions: 5ive
#4 ·
Hi there,

Thank you for replying to my post.

My Rav4 had a recall.... 195 - Suspension Arm in which the dealer did.
It was done back in mid January 2015.
The problem with the creaking sound have been going on since late March 2015.
I have power wash underneath the drivers rear suide near the components of the suspension and other parts.
Also, i did the penetrating oil around the bushings to see if that helps.
Maybe the dealer did not perform the recall properly?

Hmmm

#5 ·
I had that creaking problem with another vehicle. After doing some detective work the cause was the rear hatch (door) which was shifting around just enough for the door to move slightly against the weather stripping. Fixed with that door by shimming the door jamb to prevent the door from moving - more difficult with the RAV. Doesn't appear that the RAV latch can be tightened without doing a mod on the catch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.