Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unintended acceleration

6K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  RTexasF 
#1 · (Edited)
Until yesterday, I was a loyal Toyota customer, and did not know a thing about the issue of unintended acceleration. Three days ago, wham - I stepped on the brake at a busy intersection, and the acceleration went full throttle, I rammed into neutral, car still acceleration uncontrollably, rammed into park, car bucked like a bronco, then turned the key off. Upon starting the car again, acceleration continued beyond belief. After waiting 15 minutes, I tried again, and the car started normally. Luckily I was able to proceed to my appointment. BUT, after the Toyota dealer stated that it was the rug sticking under the accelerator (it was not), I will not be driving my 2012
Rav 4 again, nor do I trust my Toyota Dealer for not dealing with my "alleged" statement. Feel lucky that nobody was killed!

#2 ·
don't take this the wrong way, if you don't hear it from me, you'll hear it from others...

it's hard to believe when your first post is an unintended acceleration post, then you say that even in neutral the car was still accelerating, when it's pretty clear that the brakes on the car will easily overpower the engine...

we have seen a lot of lawyers in the past signing up and posting stuff like this to try to stir the pot and get new clients with all of this, so pardon if some of use are hard to convince ;-)

Reactions: CB91710
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
To not know that a car won't go anywhere in neutral indicates this first time poster not only doesn't drive a Toyota but probably doesn't even drive. :shrug:

:wall I give this thread a max of a dozen posts before being ENOUGH!

#6 ·
I'm with Dr. Dyno. Seems that the OP likely is referring to something like a garden tractor rather than to a RAV! Whatever it was, they probably broke the shifting mechanism with all of that ramming! Otherwise, how could it accelerate while supposedly in neutral?:wall

#7 ·
11 other forum members have experienced this event, acceleration at a stop or slow speed. However, putting the transmission in neutral and the engine races not in gear is possible but still accelerating (moving) is not possible. You may want to define what you mean by "accelerating".

#9 ·
That post is a fabrication and we've got his number. I predict the OP will not be back. Note this is his only post. I know it's possible with my big feet (11.5) to accidentally catch the the gas pedal while you're depressing the brake if you leave the edge of your shoe hanging too far off the right side of the brake pedal. This causes some shuddering kind of like forgetting to push in the clutch when stopping in gear with a manual, but It does not cause anything so dramatic as described above. The engine cannot overcome the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.