Hello all! From New Zealand - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Member Introductions Old or New? - Introduce yourself here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello all! From New Zealand

Hi everyone, 25/male, second time Rav4 owner.
Young but wiser than I once was haha. Both first generations(4.1? I think as I've seen it here)and funnily enough both blue! I'll post a pic when the forum allows me to. First one was a SWB 4wd auto and the second is a LWB 4wd auto. Both autos as I live in the busiest city in NZ so it makes life a bit easier in our horrid traffic,although I much prefer driving manual!
Have only had my LWB a few weeks, the SWB is now my brother in laws car and will be the backup car for whoever needs it haha(it's so reliable we can't come to sell it).
The SWB is factory, 230,000kms and going strong although with a few creaks and the rear shocks needing replacement. My LWB has only 118,000kms and was an elderly owner situation, so apart from a few blemishes is in tidy order!
I love the Rav4, good for driving everyday-decent feel drivingwise and I like the seating position despite previously owning an Mx5(Miata).
The aim for this Rav4 is just to have it as a daily driver that can access some harder to reach campsites/mountain bike locations as well as worksites(builder,end up on some nasty accessways).
First thing was all terrains,as it had some on the rear but had some Chinese H/T on the front,it slipped a bit coming out of a job site,but now a lot more traction and matching tyres!
Have roof racks to fit the OEM locations on the way,as well as a Yakima Loadwarrior basket to hold tools and supplies etc which should be here in a couple days.
Apart from that I'll just drive it and looking into fitting out the boot to better fit my needs. Also I'll keep an eye out at wreckers for a central arm rest and might fit rear door bags and probably a radio for off-road adventures at some point.
If you've read all this congratulations and thank you!! Have a great day all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Twin Ravs,except ones malnourished while the other grew up haha. More or less as I got the LWB,removed the nudge bars/side steps-personal preference. Added the mudguards from the SWB. Yes the decal is only on one side. And unfortunately no towbar,although I don't necessarily require one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4636_1490043335405.jpg (161.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4561_1490043407790.jpg (100.6 KB, 5 views)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Another photo of the decal,kinda cool I thought.(edit:this photo doesn't appear to want to upload properly unfortunately)
New tyres installed,preferred the white lettering although the rears didn't have it so these were painted to match the front. Just a visual mod,personal preference that's all! A bit tedious though..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4583_1490043909139.jpg (140.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4602_1490043952315.jpg (117.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4571_1490044094259.JPG (264.8 KB, 18 views)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Decided the interior needed a little something and what better way than to do that and add some comfort and fun to the driver feel than a steering wheel! The factory one looked aged with cracks all over anyway.
Doesn't look too flashy as it's a brushed centre,kind of a "classic" look which is what I was going for.
Feels a lot better than the plastic feeling stock wheel and keeps the interior looking tidy.
So this is how it stands today! Hopefully get the roof racks and basket in the next couple days as I have some time off so can pick it up as soon as it gets in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4629_1490044241480.jpg (91.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4632_1490044301950.jpg (132.4 KB, 4 views)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh and also,why I chose a Rav4 over the competition:
Reliablilty over most things, although capability,drivability and their cute/pleasant looks are also a factor.
I boiled the competition down to a Hilux Surf(or Landcruiser) or an Isuzu Bighorn.
Here diesel is cheaper than petrol, but Road user charges are to be paid for diesel vehicles(60$ per 1000km on average) which offsets the cheap diesel cost. Also it's common that our diesels(as most cars here are Japanese)are prone to head/head gasket failure which can be expensive. I couldn't bring myself to buy a 1KZ Hilux surf(turbo diesel 3 litre,4Runner as they're called in the US etc) or 3.1td Bighorn in fear of it costing the same amount as the car cost to repair it. It just didn't seem feasible/rational.
Rav4s have treated me well in the past, so I guess Rav4 loyalty made me look into a LWB that I now own haha.
Although I may get a diesel later down the track(years down the track,when I have a boat or car trailer to tow).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Welcome! Interesting to learn that diesel users are charged a fee of NZ$60 per 1000 km - that would cause a rebellion in the U.S.! Enjoy your RAV!

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the warm welcome! It's definitely quite strange, don't know why it came about but I heard it's disappearing soon.
Cheers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page