Bluetooth voice dialing Samsung Galaxy Ace (Android) - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Off Topic Want to talk about something besides the RAV4? Go for it! NO POLITICS PLEASE!!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
I installed Speak to it and it seems to work a bit better than Skyvi however I don't have vocal answers from either apps and I must look at the phone to see if it picked the right name or not...Perhaps I should install Jeannie or Iris?

My girlfriend's name is Mila (she's Polish) and both Skyvi and Speak to it can't find her in my address book no matter how I pronounce her name! I guess I'll change the contact to "girlfriend" and that should work. Amazing the amount of time one can waste on high tech devices but the good news is that it keeps the brain cells active, very important at my age...!

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, my new "smart" phone only chimes once when I have voice mail or text message; my old Samsung flip "dummy" phone gave a chime than a "beep-beep" every two minutes or so until I picked up my messages, kinda neat but the new one does not do it. Perhaps consumers complained about this annoying noise but I loved it as I didn't have to look at the screen to see if I have messages or not. My cell supplier said nothing could be done about it; to me it's a step backwards
Same here but cured with an app called "Missed Call Reminder" that you can customize. I think it was a frrebie.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 AM

(Thread Starter)
A million thanks RTexasF!!! I downloaded the app and it works like a charm! I'll try to do the same to my girlfriend's phone, it's also an Android Samsung cell similar to mine but with a slide out keyboard (551 Black). We both got our new phones a couple of a months ago, not the most recent ones but quite cheap compared to the latest Galaxy III, Note, iPhone5 etc. and they do more than we need except for a few basic apps we were missing...

Any other "smart" apps you would suggest I get? I don't use my cell a lot, mostly for emergencies and to contact my girlfriend once in a while.

#14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

One comes to mind......my Galaxy S II has Jelly Bean 4.2 installed. When plugged in to charge it does not chirp or make any tone at all when it reaches 100%. A free app called Battery Alarm + did the trick.

If you need a spare battery as I did Anker replacement batteries (2) and a plug in charger are available on Amazon for about $25. I was able to get larger capacity batteries and they last up to three days as opposed to less than one with the original Samsung. Instead of plugging in the phone just swap the batteries and put the low one in the charger. It charges slowly as opposed to just plugging the phone in but they last considerably longer, even the original battery. Using the USB cable that comes with the phone you can charge a battery and the phone at the same time if need be. Worth every penny.

http://www.ianker.com/Cellphone%20Ba...category-c5-s2

#15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 AM

(Thread Starter)
I downloaded the "Missed call reminder" on my girlfriend's phone and it works like a charm too, thanks again from both of us!

The battery app is very interesting app but I could not find it as there was a truck load of similar apps but I did not want to take a chance so I did not download any; would you be kind enough to give me the developer's name so I can narrow down the search?

My 7 year old Samsung flip open cell still keeps its charge which is way beyond my wildest dreams but I doubt my new one will last that long as it's charging the battery at a much faster rate than my old one and both batteries are lithium-ion but not the same model.

Before I send my old phone for recycling, may I pick your brain a little more? Is there an app to backup all the files on my new phone (address book, pics, etc.) like the backup program for a computer or are they saved automatically on the SIM card? I hope I can return the favor one day and help you on other subjects!

#16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Battery Alarm + by Kunal Bhatia. Here's a link (that I hope works)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Wxhcm1wbHVzIl0.

What I did was put all photos and the like on the SD card, the remainder on the SIM card and put them in the new phone. I still had to do a master reset on the old one to clear everything out. In all honesty I don't know if that's the best way to do it or not so my advice is to research a bit more. I'm still struggling with Android a bit myself.

#17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Is there an app to backup all the files on my new phone (address book, pics, etc.) like the backup program for a computer or are they saved automatically on the SIM card?
I use a program called Titanium Backup. I currently use the free version, but I plan on getting the paid version for $6.49 because it offers more features.

The program allows you to back up the various apps and data to Drop Box, Google Drive, or the SD card. It also allows you to keep a number of versions of each backup and allows you to restore the version of your choice.

Since I have an inexpensive phone, the internal memory is very small, and I am constantly getting low on memory even though I have a large SD card installed. Titanium lets me move "user apps" onto the SD card and run them from there.

You may not know it, but apps that come with the phone (system apps) (Maps for example) are never allowed to be removed from the phone. Every time you update the app, both the original and updated version are taking space on the phone's memory. Titanium backup let's you integrate updates to system apps so that they don't continue to take up more storage space with each update. Titanium also lets me convert system apps to normal apps so that they can also be moved to the SD card or deleted.

I should warn you that the phone needs to be rooted to use Titanium, but after doing the research and downloading the required tools, that only took about 2 minutes.

I don't worry much about losing the phone contacts since they are synced automatically from GMAIL, and my calendar events are synced from Google Calendar. There are also apps to keep your photos synced with Google's Picasa, and finally I always have my music stored on my NAS so that I can listen to it on any device in the house, so no fear of losing that on the phone.

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
#18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks! A bit mind boggling but I'll give it a try; today I was in an electronic store and the young man said he lost everything while trying to backup his iPhone 5 so he was not at ease to recommend an app for my Android phone! And I thought Apple products were user friendly...!

#19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Battery Alarm + by Kunal Bhatia. Here's a link (that I hope works)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Wxhcm1wbHVzIl0.

What I did was put all photos and the like on the SD card, the remainder on the SIM card and put them in the new phone. I still had to do a master reset on the old one to clear everything out. In all honesty I don't know if that's the best way to do it or not so my advice is to research a bit more. I'm still struggling with Android a bit myself.
Thanks again my Android tech support friend! The Battery Alarm+ works like a charm; first I thought id did not install properly but I was not waiting long enough to truly get a full charge. Second try, it chimes in accordoing to the tone I selected

As for the backup, I'm a bit confused with the micro SD card, the SIM card and the phone limited built-in memory? When I plug the phone to my PC, I can see all the directories and associated files but can't open most of them so I have no clue what they are. However, I can see the pics just like on my digital camera but that's the least of my worries as they are easy to copy on my hard drive or USB key and I have very few. I'll search the web when I have a minute. Thanks again to all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page