Detailers-Offer an opinion on an architectural issue! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Off Topic Want to talk about something besides the RAV4? Go for it! NO POLITICS PLEASE!!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Detailers-Offer an opinion on an architectural issue!

OK, here's the deal.
I'm an architect. I'm working on a 1970 school building.
There's some "mansard roof" construction at an exterior overhang.
The sloped siding is "aluminum batten seam siding".
It's original 1970 vintage. At this point, it is somewhat oxidized and not looking great although it is mechanically sound. I don't want to pull it all off and recreate it.

From recent investigations into detailing, I am wondering if we might approach this with compound/polish and a DA? I'd have to guess at how aggressive a compound/polish and what color foam pad to use, but it seems like in general it might be approachable. One fear that I have is that treating the raised "batten" strips would tear the heck out of the pads in no time.

And then, once that's done, what sort of sealant woudl be most appropriate for raw aluminum.
We could clear coat it with an automotive catalyzed clear-coat, but then once that starts breaking down, it really is untreatable. I prefer a clear polymer sealant that can be stripped and refreshed as needed.

OK, send me your thoughts. Appreciate it.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Either create an album, and then link your pictures. Go to USER CP in the black "toolbar" , Click on "Picture & Albums", add your pics and copy the assigned links to your thread. This works great if you have to reference the same picture in many threads as you use less space towards your quota.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" with new singer Todd La Torre totally rocks "
#3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
You are an architect and i assume you happen to have some liberty in making the school up to modern standards right?
Why do you want to keep this old fashioned detail then.
Get something to cover it which looks fresh and new.
Something which would appeal to the youth for instance with art or something and would make the school look more attractive.

Now this looks pretty dull and boring. It can be so much better looking and inspiring for people to enjoy. That helps in making the school atmosphere so much better.

At a local primary school which had burned down some time ago they have done a nice job of making it look a bit like a bird (see link, more details (dutch)). What is nice about it is the warm colors and the freshness it represents.
You can also make it become a green living wall, like Belgian architect Marlies Rohmer has done in 2007 (link)
I would at least recommend making it a lot more colorful.
That way the people enjoy being in the building a lot more and feel better as well.

With the blue and grey colors i think till date the people have always chosen the very safe side. Time for a change?
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM

(Thread Starter)
Well I was hoping for some technical advice Pim, not necessarily architectural criticism( in the positive sense of the word).

But for some explanation... the budget for this project is very, very low. This happens with school jobs frequently. I am trying to find a way to save this from being torn off and rebuilt at thw cost of $30,000 or so( there's a lot more of this stuff than the photos indicate). We would like to put money into other areas that actually make the education better. And it's "greener " to reuse rather than rip and chuck and rebuild. But I do hear your point. Ultimately the architectural team merely advises the client. We have many exciting ideas using color and other elements to activate the spaces and frequently the client will disapprove of these in favor of a scheme which is more staid and "safe " as you put it. It's VERY common and one of the biggest sources of frustrations for architects.

Any opinions on detailing that aluminum?

#5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,067 Times in 774 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograv View Post
Any opinions on detailing that aluminum?
OK, here's my dumb question for the day: Why can't you just paint it???

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is what we used on stained aluminum pontoons to make them look new when I was in the marine industry. The first three products listed are relevant.........

Toonbrite Aluminum & Fiberglass Cleaners Polishes and Clear Coat

FAQ:
http://www.toonbrite.com/Admin/Produ...numCleaner.pdf

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

I was going to ask the same question.. power wash it and then Rustoleum?

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
Blackdograv,
I hear you, i know how frustrating it is when people don't trust you due to them thinking they know better then you.
It's a major thing to tackle indeed. Progress never comes easy as it seems.
Good luck with handling the frustration of them choosing something old fashioned and boring and using your reputation on it.

It would be lovely if you can decline clients based on them wanting to stay safe eh
But i can understand that is not an option in this time and economy.
Good luck with finding a good solution too.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

It could be interesting if it were cleaned and repainted in white, and then there could be a contest among the students to design an attractive mural which could be applied over the paint. Or it could be refaced with material to provide a flat surface and a student-designed mural applied to that.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
The times when the architect has awesome design idea and client rejects for any number of reasons are as numerous as grains of sand in the desert.

Have had big problems in past repainting existing metal. Some of this sort of work on existing buildings is very tricky in a conventional bid situation. We have to figure out EXACTLY what products and techniques to indicate and then after the bid is awarded we hold the contractor's feet to the fire. There's not a lot of flexibility. Nobody says "hey, we see what your intent is...we think the best way to do this is XYZ and we'll just do it that way for free cause we believe in doing the right thing. Typically if we get the materials or methods wrong, they construct it wrong and then problems arise. Not quite that black and white, but in a bid situation, the pressure is on the architect to totally figure it out beforehand.

I'd much rather see the original aluminum finish preserved if possible because 1) it preserves the original architect's aesthetic and 2)There's no paint to peel, flake or blister if it isn't done right.

But worse case, paint may be an option.

I'll look into those aluminum finishing products. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page